Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15th region Challenge Nov. 21
The 15th Region Challenge will be held Saturday, Nov. 21 at Sheldon Clark High School. Below is the schedule.

1: 30 - Shelby Valley vs Raceland
3: 00 - Belfry vs Boyd County
4: 30 - Magoffin County vs Bryan Station
6: 00 - Paintsville vs Elliott County
7: 30 - Sheldon Clark vs Huntington St. Joe (defending Class A state champs)
How did these games go?
which teams were looking good ?
Belfry beat Boyd
Bryan Station beat Magoffin
Paintsville beat Elliot
I'd say st joe won easily as well with the d1 signee Brooke keeton that came from raceland.
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:I'd say st joe won easily as well with the d1 signee Brooke keeton that came from raceland.

Easily? Sheldon Clark has an outside shot at winning the state tournment this year so I doubt that St. Joe just rolled all over em
D WINS Wrote:Easily? Sheldon Clark has an outside shot at winning the state tournment this year so I doubt that St. Joe just rolled all over em
thats laughable sheldon clark won't come close to beating the likes of lexington catholic etc.
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:thats laughable sheldon clark won't come close to beating the likes of lexington catholic etc.

You have no idea then. They beat Lexington Christian twice this summer and so much for ST. Joe winning ''easy'' as Sheldon Clark won the game by 15
D WINS Wrote:You have no idea then. They beat Lexington Christian twice this summer and so much for ST. Joe winning ''easy'' as Sheldon Clark won the game by 15
I do know one thing lexington christian is no lexington catholic. They might have beat lca but I guarantee they didn't beat lexington catholic. If you haven't figured out by now those are 2 different schools.
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:I do know one thing lexington christian is no lexington catholic. They might have beat lca but I guarantee they didn't beat lexington catholic. If you haven't figured out by now those are 2 different schools.

You might a case if we were talking about boys basketball as Lex Cath is usually pretty good but LCA is the power here lately in the 11th region for girl's basketball.
D WINS Wrote:You might a case if we were talking about boys basketball as Lex Cath is usually pretty good but LCA is the power in the 11th region for girl's basketball.
You are wrong lexington christian did win the state championship in 07 but lexington catholic has 4 since 98 and thats not including the ones they won before 98 that I can't find because the khsaa doesn't go back that far. Lexington catholic has 7 regional championships since 98 as well to lca 2.
Just because lca has won the last 1 or 2 regions doesn't make them the class of that region if any thing lexington catholic is still the class. They are always a force pretty much every year.

Lex cath Boys and Girls basketball are a force
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:You are wrong lexington christian did win the state championship in 07 but lexington catholic has 4 since 98 and thats not including the ones they won before 98 that I can't find because the khsaa doesn't go back that far. Lexington catholic has 7 regional championships since 98 as well to lca 2.
Just because lca has won the last 1 or 2 regions doesn't make them the class of that region if any thing lexington catholic is still the class. They are always a force pretty much every year.

Lex cath Boys and Girls basketball are a force
Bolded part????
No doubt about it that Catholic is dominant. I was really meaning right now though. I think LCA is favored in the 11th again this year and they have the girl who had signed with UK just prior to the two times that Sheldon Clark beat them this summer. I know its summer ball and you can judge it however. To say earlier in this thread that St. Joe would win easily was absurd. SC is the clear favorite to win the 15th. St. Joe actually had a player who transferred to Sheldon Clark. I've never seen her play but I do know that she starts for SC and is probably their 2nd best player behind Booth.
D WINS Wrote:Bolded part????
No doubt about it that Catholic is dominant. I was really meaning right now though. I think LCA is favored in the 11th again this year and they have the girl who had signed with UK just prior to the two times that Sheldon Clark beat them this summer. I know its summer ball and you can judge it however. To say earlier in this thread that St. Joe would win easily was absurd. SC is the clear favorite to win the 15th. St. Joe actually had a player who transferred to Sheldon Clark. I've never seen her play but I do know that she starts for SC and is probably their 2nd best player behind Booth.

How was that absurd they are predicted to win class 1a again this year in wv plus they have at least 1 d1 signee so i figured they would handle sheldon clark . To me that just says that wv basketball must be pretty weak and nothing like beating the best to win state like Kentucky. Matter of fact I think overall all sports in wv are weak overall. Russell usually plays wayne pioneers from wayne,wv and they are usually one of the best softball teams in 2a and we beat them every time we play as well as volleyball.
Sheldon Clark hasn't won the region in almost 20 years and now they think they are favorites to win the state. They have a good team but guys stay grounded until you prove something on a statewide level. Summer ball isn't the same as many teams have girls that are missing due to vacation or other reasons. Lex Christian has the top player in the 11th region, but guess what, she is the only returning starter on that team. LCA is the pre-season 4th rated team in that region behind Madison Central, Franklin County, and Scott County. Lexington Catholic is the fifth rated team in the region. You have have all the Louisville teams as well as several other teams in the state who have more experience in a statewide level. There are other teams in the mountains that Sheldon Clark would struggle to beat. First, Sheldon Clark has a good shot of winning the All- A. Then you need to concentrate on the region as the other teams are not going to roll over and hand you the trophy. Beware of Betsy Layne. The Lexington private schools are not what they use to be as graduation as decimated their programs. West Virginia girls basketball has always been weak. It has been for over 20 years. It is 30 years behind Kentucky basketball. Neither of these Lexington schools you mentioned have been predicted to win the region much less the state.
Here's all results from Saturday and the SC girls thumped St. Joe . Booth had 19.

Game 1 - Shelby Valley - 44 ( Mullins 18) Raceland - 38
Game 2- Belfry -61 ( Bevins ( 26) Boyd County - 44
Game 3- Bryan Station - 52 Magoffin County - 37
Game 4- Paintsville - 56 ( Vanhoose 22, Jarrell 19) Elliott County - 52
Game 5 - Sheldon Clark - 58 ( Booth 19) Hunt. St. Joe 38.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Sheldon Clark hasn't won the region in almost 20 years and now they think they are favorites to win the state. They have a good team but guys stay grounded until you prove something on a statewide level. Summer ball isn't the same as many teams have girls that are missing due to vacation or other reasons. Lex Christian has the top player in the 11th region, but guess what, she is the only returning starter on that team. LCA is the pre-season 4th rated team in that region behind Madison Central, Franklin County, and Scott County. Lexington Catholic is the fifth rated team in the region. You have have all the Louisville teams as well as several other teams in the state who have more experience in a statewide level. There are other teams in the mountains that Sheldon Clark would struggle to beat. First, Sheldon Clark has a good shot of winning the All- A. Then you need to concentrate on the region as the other teams are not going to roll over and hand you the trophy. Beware of Betsy Layne. The Lexington private schools are not what they use to be as graduation as decimated their programs. West Virginia girls basketball has always been weak. It has been for over 20 years. It is 30 years behind Kentucky basketball. Neither of these Lexington schools you mentioned have been predicted to win the region much less the state.
Who said they were favorites to win state and also SC will not be competing in the class a this year.
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:How was that absurd they are predicted to win class 1a again this year in wv plus they have at least 1 d1 signee so i figured they would handle sheldon clark . To me that just says that wv basketball must be pretty weak and nothing like beating the best to win state like Kentucky. Matter of fact I think overall all sports in wv are weak overall. Russell usually plays wayne pioneers from wayne,wv and they are usually one of the best softball teams in 2a and we beat them every time we play as well as volleyball.

I mean I didnt know how good St. Joe's was either but I didnt think that they would be able beat SC to badly. I knew that the girl who transferred came to SC because she wanted a chance to play college hoops somewhere and I guess her parents felt like she would get noticed at Sheldon Clark since they are expected to do big things.
D WINS Wrote:Who said they were favorites to win state and also SC will not be competing in the class a this year.

You stated they had an outside shot. That is a little extreme for an unproven team who has yet to play big games against veteran teams. Also, everyone has been tooting the horn about the game against the mighty school out of Huntington. Their total enrollment is 187 students. It made it seem that they were playing some basketball superpower when actually they are a tiny school in a state that plays in classes.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:You stated they had an outside shot. That is a little extreme for an unproven team who has yet to play big games against veteran teams. Also, everyone has been tooting the horn about the game against the mighty school out of Huntington. Their total enrollment is 187 students. It made it seem that they were playing some basketball superpower when actually they are a tiny school in a state that plays in classes.
they only have 99 students according to this http://www.wvssac.org/new_site/WVSSAC_We...classA.htm

the name for the school is St. Joseph Central Catholic
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:they only have 99 students according to this http://www.wvssac.org/new_site/WVSSAC_We...classA.htm

the name for the school is St. Joseph Central Catholic

That proves my point even more. They are not much bigger then June Buchanan.
That is near the bottom of the class 1a schools in wv with the lowest being an enrollment of 24. Only 11 schools have a lower enrollment in wv. The highest number of enrollment being 337 in 1a.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:You stated they had an outside shot. That is a little extreme for an unproven team who has yet to play big games against veteran teams. Also, everyone has been tooting the horn about the game against the mighty school out of Huntington. Their total enrollment is 187 students. It made it seem that they were playing some basketball superpower when actually they are a tiny school in a state that plays in classes.
I dont think anyone is hyped over the scrimmage win against St. Joe. Read the whole thread.
By me thinking they have an outside shot doesn't make them favorites. I think they will be in the state tournment as 1 of 16 other school's. Given a few breaks and they could be sittin on saturday mourning in the semi's(if they do the girl's like the boys tourny) Dont try and twist it into something its not. I know what sports are like once you leave these mountains but I also know that Shedon Clark has something special this year.
I think they are the favorites to win the 15th and have an excellent shot of going to state. The fans just don't need to get overconfident because it is the best team that Sheldon Clark has had in a long time. I have been around girls basketball since 1982 so there isn't much I haven't seen. The girls tourney is done just like the boys. If it wasn't, Title IX would be getting involved.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:I think they are the favorites to win the 15th and have an excellent shot of going to state. The fans just don't need to get overconfident because it is the best team that Sheldon Clark has had in a long time. I have been around girls basketball since 1982 so there isn't much I haven't seen. The girls tourney is done just like the boys. If it wasn't, Title IX would be getting involved.
No doubt there is alot of excitment for this team because of a few things. They return everyone from a team who if you remember should have beat eventual region champ in the first round. They got a transfer who they think is the missing piece down low. They had an excellent summer along with UK getting really involved with the point guard Carla Booth. Even the fact that former all SEC center Sarah Elliot is new assistant coach has people excited.
D WINS Wrote:No doubt there is alot of excitment for this team because of a few things. They return everyone from a team who if you remember should have beat eventual region champ in the first round. They got a transfer who they think is the missing piece down low. They had an excellent summer along with UK getting really involved with the point guard Carla Booth. Even the fact that former all SEC center Sarah Elliot is new assistant coach has people excited.

Should is a big word. A good team and their fans need to stay grounded and not assume anything. If they do, then in future years they will be telling about what they "did" instead of what they "should" have done.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Should is a big word. A good team and their fans need to stay grounded and not assume anything. If they do, then in future years they will be telling about what they "did" instead of what they "should" have done.

Could have is more fitting term. They were in position to win it.
How did Belfty look against Boyd?
boyd doesnt have much but they kept up in the 1st part. rumor is they have 2 new girls who recently moved.
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:I do know one thing lexington christian is no lexington catholic. They might have beat lca but I guarantee they didn't beat lexington catholic. If you haven't figured out by now those are 2 different schools.

http://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/kh.../?id=31382
I guess Catholis is no PLD