Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Former Belfry and UK great, Rick Kestner, dies of a massive heart attack at age 64.
Arguably the greatest football player in Belfry High School history, Rick Kestner, died yesterday of a heart attack at the age of 64. Kestner played at Belfry, UK, and then in the NFL. In 1961, he teamed with Floyd Hatfield to form one of the greatest passing/receiving tandems in Kentucky high school football history. Hatfield had 26 TD passes in 1961, then a state record, and 16 of those TD passes were caught by Kestner. In 1979, there was a football history book published recounting Belfry football from 1949-78. At that time, Kestner was the all-time leading scorer in BHS history with 242 career points. At UK, Kestner was a three year letterman, and helped the 'Cats to one of their greatest wins, a 27-21 win over number one ranked Ole Miss in 1964. Kestner had 9 catches for 185 yards and 3 TDs. Later, he had his jersey retired at UK. Rick's children, Shelley and David, were friends of mine when i grew up in Belfry. RIP Rick.
Sometimes you forget about just how much talent not only in music have came out of these hills. RIP
So sorry to hear about Rick. I really like, its been sveral years. He shared some great stories about college and pro football with me. What hands and great toughness he had. He will be missed by so many........
Sad to hear.. Rick also went on to have a nice NFL stint. H ewas truly one of the legends of UK football in his era.
Sad to hear. Prayers go out to his family and friends.
Rick will be missed by the people on pond creek
Rick was a true life legend of his time and the
best fooyball player to ever come out of Belfry.
Our prayers our with his family and God bless you.
Sorry to hear this. Very Sad news
Rick was the first of three Pirates to go on to have successful careers at UK and have at least a cup of coffee at the NFL level. James Ramey and David Jones followed his lead, but Kestner certainly was the gold standard.
my thoughts and prayers are with his familiy.