Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
St. Xavier (OH) 43 - Louisville Trinity 13
wow, I thought that the KY team would at least make this a game...
i was hoping that this one would go the other way
May the Lord have mercy next week at Highlands....
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:May the Lord have mercy next week at Highlands....

Highlands is better than Trinity this year. Trinity just doesn't have the personel this year like they have had the past few. They lost too much from last year and thus are struggling against the top tier teams.

Highlands can play with Louisville St. X and actually could win the game if they played. Louisville St. X played with Cincinnati St. X the whole game. They were only down 17-7 in the 4th and ended up losing 24-7.

Highlands has the players to play with Cincinnati St. X. They may not win the game but they won't get embarrased. They will play with them just like Louisville St. X did and be in the game the whole time with a chance to win at the end.
I figured high school football in Ohio was better, but is it really THAT much better than Kentucky? This was a shocker to me!
BaseballIsLife Wrote:Highlands is better than Trinity this year. Trinity just doesn't have the personel this year like they have had the past few. They lost too much from last year and thus are struggling against the top tier teams.

Highlands can play with Louisville St. X and actually could win the game if they played. Louisville St. X played with Cincinnati St. X the whole game. They were only down 17-7 in the 4th and ended up losing 24-7.

Highlands has the players to play with Cincinnati St. X. They may not win the game but they won't get embarrased. They will play with them just like Louisville St. X did and be in the game the whole time with a chance to win at the end.

Someone who knows what they are talking about! Nice post.
No shame in that loss Cincy St.X is one of the best programs in Ohio and the nation
No real surprise here IMO. Trinity isn't the same team without Kragthorpe running the offense. Since he went down, they've struggled big time. Until he comes back, you'll continue to see the Rocks struggle.
Isn't St X of Ohio usually ranked in the top 25 nationwide every year?
vundy33 Wrote:Isn't St X of Ohio usually ranked in the top 25 nationwide every year?

St X has been a fixture in the top 25 nationally for the last 5 or 6 years. Last year was an exception but only because their starting Qb, Massa (UC verbal), went down in week 3 with a season ending injury. They had knocked off Prattville, AL the week before his injury. Prattville came in rated top 10 in the country and had a very long winning streak.

Cincy St. X is a favorite to win the Ohio D1 state championship this year.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Cincy St. X is a favorite to win the Ohio D1 state championship this year.

St X is good but don't for a minute believe they are a favorite to win the Ohio D1 state championship. That disignation goes to Elder. The last I looked Elder was ranked #3 in the nation.
StrikeoutKing Wrote:I figured high school football in Ohio was better, but is it really THAT much better than Kentucky? This was a shocker to me!

If Kentucky's Trinity and St X played in Ohio they would probably never win another state championship. Either X, Elder, Colerain, St Edwards, or St Ig. is always in the nations top 10. Sometimes 2 or 3 of these teams are.

On the other hand, other than a handfull of Ohio high schools, basketball is much better in Kentucky.
You gotta hand it to Trinity for playing the tough schedule and you can bet they do not want to come back to Greater Cincinnati for a long time. Elder and St. X back to back is murderers row.

As far as next week at Highlands, they better play way above their heads to keep it a game. Cincy St. X avg's 270 on the offensive line and their QB is Div 1 at 6'6 and RB's look like College backs. The Bird Defense is just too small and there is only one headhunter out there and that is Roller. If this was the 07' Defense with Stein/Ball/Hurtt/Fitzgerald then maybe I would feel more confident but I have a bad feeling about next week as far as stopping Cincy St. X.
rojas Wrote:If Kentucky's Trinity and St X played in Ohio they would probably never win another state championship. Either X, Elder, Colerain, St Edwards, or St Ig. is always in the nations top 10. Sometimes 2 or 3 of these teams are.

On the other hand, other than a handfull of Ohio high schools, basketball is much better in Kentucky.

Excellent post!:Thumbs:
Trinity 0 0 0 13 -13
St. X 27 16 0 0 - 43

St.X- Hundley 15 run (kick failed)

St.X- Carroll 60 pass from Massa (Leonard kick)

St.X- Muhammad 1 run (Leonard kick)

St.X- Kraemer 16 pass from Massa (Leonard kick)

St.X- Ley 2 pass from Massa (Leonard kick)

St.X- Safety

St.X- Braswell 3 run (Leonard kick)

T- Wall 27 pass from Noe (Bohn kick)

T- Bishop 3 run (kick failed)
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090...rinity+13+

What started a showdown between perennial powerhouses in Ohio and Kentucky turned out to be one lopsided St. Xavier win.

The Bombers rattled off 27-first quarter points in a 43-13 defeat of Louisville Trinity, Friday in a St. X home opener.

How one-sided was it? Trinity allowed the most points in a half (43) in school history, surrendered 40 points in a game for the first time in two years, and narrowly avoided a first shutout since 1998.

St. X scored as many points in the first two quarters as it collected in its last two games combined. A match-up that appeared solid on paper disintegrated behind Trinity miscues and a St. X defense that held it to 37 first-half yards.

Bombers Steve Specht wasn’t sure how to encapsulate the win.

“Wow,” Specht said. “I’m kind of speechless right now because I thought in the first half that our kids couldn’t have played any better than they did. I want to say we’ll continue to get better, but I thought offensively obviously we were clicking. Defensively we got some key turnovers and it snowballed from there.”

The Bombers capitalized on a fumble recovery, interception, and three touchdowns in the game’s first seven minutes and held on for a second straight victory over a Kentucky team.

It downed Louisville St. Xavier 24-7 last week before trouncing Trinity, the four-time defending big-school state champ and owner of 19 state titles.

The Bombers, ranked 19th in USA Today’s Super 25 and No. 2 in the Associated Press Division I poll and the Enquirer coaches’ poll, improved to 4-0 against a Shamrocks team that dropped to an uncharacteristic 1-3.

St. X rolled up 307 yards to Trinity’s 175, and 206 of the Bombers’ yards were on the ground. University of Cincinnati-bound Luke Massa was 6-of-8 passing for 101 yards and three touchdowns in the first half but retired to the sidelines before the break as Specht began subbing liberally.

Trinity coach Bob Beatty led a somber group of Shamrocks off the field after the game.

“It’s my job as a coach to find the young men that have the desire to play the game. Right now we have a group that doesn’t. So it’s my job to find out who that is,” Beatty said.

“It’s painful right now, but that’s part of the process. They’re the ones that – as well as I am – we to live with that little piece of history there. And hopefully we’ll learn from it.”

Nothing seemed to click for the Shamrocks in the return of junior Brad Kragthorpe. The quarterback, son of University of Louisville football coach Steve Kragthorpe, missed the two previous games with turf toe.

He fumbled on Trinity’s second play, which triggered a series of events that started the St. X onslaught. Jake Rumpke scooped up the ball at the Shamrocks’ 16-yard-line, advanced to the 15, and running back Conor Hundley scampered in for a touchdown less than a minute into the game.

The PAT hit the upright and failed, but the Bombers didn’t waste time making up the difference. Massa found Will Carroll on a 60-yard touchdown pass and Carroll cruised into the end zone with two Shamrocks players trailing.

St. X led 13-0 with 9:35 left in the first quarter. The Bombers extend the advantage to 20 shortly thereafter when linebacker Sean Duggan picked off a Kragthorpe pass.

“I got lucky, I guess. He threw the pass right to me,” Duggard said.

The Bombers started on the Trinity 17, inched to the 5-yard line, and capitalized on a penalty that put them at the 1. Nigel Muhammad punched in the next touchdown.
Kragthorpe was yanked after his fumble and interception.

“It’s called turning the football over. You can’t do it,” Beatty said.

With 27 second left in the first quarter, Massa hit Jeff Kraemer with a 16-yard TD pass that gave St. X an insurmountable lead.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Trinity isn't the same team without Kragthorpe running the offense. Since he went down, they've struggled big time. Until he comes back, you'll continue to see the Rocks struggle.

Kragthorpe started last night. He fumbled the second play from scrimage and threw an interception soon thereafter. Trinity could have had Payton Manning at QB last night and still not beaten X. The score was 43-0 at the half.
StrikeoutKing Wrote:I figured high school football in Ohio was better, but is it really THAT much better than Kentucky? This was a shocker to me!
Yes, it's much better than Kentucky football.