Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Region 4 Class Off Playoffs looks like this-> Pikeville moves to
the 2 spot according to the KHSAA handbook.

#1 Paintsville vs #4 Evarts
#2 Pikeville vs #3 Harlan
#3 Hazard @ #2 Lynn Camp
#4 Phelps @ #1 Somerset
tomcat68 Wrote:Here it is:
#3 Hazard @ #2 Lynn Camp
#4 Phelps @ #1 Somerset

Paintsville had 17 tie-breaker points
Pikeville had 17 tie-breaker points
Hazard had only 15 tie-breaker points leaving them as the 3rd seed.

The KHSAA website said to add one more game for each team until a tie was broken. Both Paintsville and Pikeville 2 wins had wins over 2 schools that 2 wins each giving each 21 tie-breaker points. Pikeville had won no other games outside of the the tie. Paintsville did have one other game where they defeated a team with 1 win. This game pushed them over the top and made them district champs.

#3 Hazard @ #2 Lynn Camp
#4 Phelps @ #1 Somerset
If Pikeville and Paintsville both have 17 tiebreaker points and Pikeville beat them head to head then why isn't Pikeville the 1 seed?
PHSFAN Wrote:If Pikeville and Paintsville both have 17 tiebreaker points and Pikeville beat them head to head then why isn't Pikeville the 1 seed?

oh noSmile
PHSFAN Wrote:If Pikeville and Paintsville both have 17 tiebreaker points and Pikeville beat them head to head then why isn't Pikeville the 1 seed?

Because the KHSAA website has listed that if they are tied after the first 4 defeated opponents to continue to add defeated opponents until the tie is broken. If that doesn't break the tie, then they go back to head to head.

Here is a link to read it. It is on page 2 of the site, says page 65 at the bottom and it starts at the bottom left corner of that page where it says District CHAMPION

http://www.khsaa.org/handbook/tournament...trules.pdf
tomcat68 Wrote:Because the KHSAA website has listed that if they are tied after the first 4 defeated opponents to continue to add defeated opponents until the tie is broken. If that doesn't break the tie, then they go back to head to head.

Here is a link to read it. It is on page 2 of the site, says page 65 at the bottom and it starts at the bottom left corner of that page where it says District CHAMPION

:thumb::thumb:
way 2 go panthers!
Does anyone understand the mathematics involved in the KHSAA's way to pick a district champion when 3 or more teams are tied?

Why can't they just make it simple and if the head-to-head doesn't break the tie, in this case it doesn't, then go to strength of schedule, which in this case, Hazard is definitely a 3, and Pikeville would be the 1, since their opponents combined records are better than Paintsville's.

This thing by the KHSAA, you get 4 points for these teams, etc., Einstein couldn't figure it out.

And if there is someone smarter than Einstein on here that can help, it would be greatly appreciated!!
tomcat68 Wrote:Because the KHSAA website has listed that if they are tied after the first 4 defeated opponents to continue to add defeated opponents until the tie is broken. If that doesn't break the tie, then they go back to head to head.

Thanks 68.
Or, you could do it like this:

Hazard lost to Paintsville by 36, but beat Pikeville by 26, meaning they have a -10 in margin.

Paintsville beat Hazard by 36, but lost to Pikeville by 6, meaning they have a +30.

Pikeville beat Paintsville by 6, but lost to Hazard by 26, meaning they have a -20.

Given that, Paintsville is still 1, Hazard would be 2, and Pikeville would be 3.

SO, all 3 teams have a rightful argument as to being the #1 seed!!!

If there is any solace for them, they should know that each will be getting a district championship trophy. IF the KHSAA does the right thing!!!!!!!!
That would sound good along with several other options compared to the current process but it doesn't work that way.
BUT, I still would like someone to explain, in laymen's terms, what the KHSAA means by adding points to the first 4 defeated opponents when it comes to this. And so on after.

THANKS!!
The problem is if you start using margin of victory, then you will have teams starting to run up the score. And you can't use just a simple strength of schedule because getting blown out by a good team is no better than beating a terrible a team. Honestly I like it how it is right now. If you read the KHSAA rulebook on breaking the tie, it is very simple.
Well, let's pretend I didn't read it, (haha), can anyone explain what they mean by points for this team, points for that team, points for defeated teams and so forth. Does anyone understand what it all means?
A team gets one point for each of the wins posted by teams it defeats (other than those locked in the tie). Pikeville gets credit for Corbin, Prestonsburg and most of its district opponents, but not Paintsville, Belfry or NCC.

The KHSAA starts with each team's top four defeated opponents. If that doesn't break the tie at the top, remaining opponents are added one at a time across the board until it does. The tie was literally broken because Paintsville has one more win than Pikeville and that's where its 22nd point came from.

Hazard was behind Pikeville at that point, so the seeds were then set.
I believe that the points come from the teams that you have beat and the way I understand it you can pick 4 teams you have beat and add up their total wins and that is how many points you got...what makes it tough in the district is that all the teams play the same teams except for the nondistrict schedule and all 3 teams played and beat Pburg so that even makes it more complicated...I think the current format penalizes a tough non-district schedule but the rules are the rules. I would rather Pikeville go to Somerset than Lynn Camp but if Pikeville would have got the 1 seed they would be playing at home in the 1st and 2nd round. I think Pikeville's season ends in Somerset but I have watched Pikeville football for 20+ years and there have many times before I didn't think they would win Region 4 and they did so we will just how to see how it plays out.