Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Horse-collar' tackles to be banned in High School
INDIANAPOLIS -- Following the lead of the NFL and the NCAA, the National Federation of State High School Associations has banned the so-called horse-collar tackle from high school football.

Starting this fall, tackling a player by grabbing the inside collar of the shoulder pads or jersey will be a personal foul carrying a 15-yard penalty from the spot of the infraction.

"Though this play does not happen often, we must ensure that our coaches and officials understand the importance of penalizing this act," said Julian Tackett, assistant commissioner of the Kentucky High School Athletic Association and chairman of the NFHS football rules committee.

The change, approved by the committee last month, was ratified last week by the board of directors of the Indianapolis-based NFHS, the governing organization for almost 19,000 high schools in the United States.

The NCAA adopted a similar ban last summer. The NFHS also banned grabbing an opponent's chin strap.

It also approved a rule mandating that no more than three coaches may be in a designated "restricted" area to talk to players during dead-ball situations, and before the ball is put into play, the coaches must retreat into the team box. It is designed to avoid sideline injuries.

The committee also identified six new points of emphasis: illegal personal contact, blocking and illegal blocks, helmet and face mask, uniforms, sportsmanship and guidelines on games interrupted by lightning.
http://www.courier-journal.com/article/2...80555/1031
I thought it was already banned..that caused me to miss about 12 tackles a game..lol
king360 Wrote:I thought it was already banned..that caused me to miss about 12 tackles a game..lol

:Clap: lol
It was only a matter of time really. A Horse collar tackel is very dangerous for the offensive player, getting his leg broken, blown out knee, ect.
This is a good rule, but will be a judgement call. I don't know any coach that teaches it. I do know that in the heat of battle a player is going to grab anything to tackle the ball carrier.
Does this mean that if a school chooses a loose fitting jerseys? Also that every time that a player doesn't make a perfect tackle and grabs part of the jersey, it is 15 yards?
Stardust Wrote:INDIANAPOLIS -- Following the lead of the NFL and the NCAA, the National Federation of State High School Associations has banned the so-called horse-collar tackle from high school football.

Starting this fall, tackling a player by grabbing the inside collar of the shoulder pads or jersey will be a personal foul carrying a 15-yard penalty from the spot of the infraction.

"Though this play does not happen often, we must ensure that our coaches and officials understand the importance of penalizing this act," said Julian Tackett, assistant commissioner of the Kentucky High School Athletic Association and chairman of the NFHS football rules committee.

The change, approved by the committee last month, was ratified last week by the board of directors of the Indianapolis-based NFHS, the governing organization for almost 19,000 high schools in the United States.

The NCAA adopted a similar ban last summer. The NFHS also banned grabbing an opponent's chin strap.

It also approved a rule mandating that no more than three coaches may be in a designated "restricted" area to talk to players during dead-ball situations, and before the ball is put into play, the coaches must retreat into the team box. It is designed to avoid sideline injuries.

The committee also identified six new points of emphasis: illegal personal contact, blocking and illegal blocks, helmet and face mask, uniforms, sportsmanship and guidelines on games interrupted by lightning.
http://www.courier-journal.com/article/2...80555/1031
I like this rule. A lot of coaches thought is was already a rule because the NCAA had it. It is good that high school has adopted this rule now.
A great rule................................... OK, coaches, it will have to be a judgement call and officials lack to be consistent with judgement calls.
Good Rule
CoachB Wrote:Does this mean that if a school chooses a loose fitting jerseys? Also that every time that a player doesn't make a perfect tackle and grabs part of the jersey, it is 15 yards?

Referee's will have to do a good job in their equipment review prior to games. The rulle be very clear, if a tackler grabs neck seam of the jersey or the "neck" of the shoulder pad, it is a penalty.

As the opposition coach, you can bring this up to the referee during the rules review during the flip, but the referee will be very clear that if they feel that the hand reached the neck area for a tackle, it will be penalized. I don't see any jerseys that would be so loose that this should even be an issue.

To your point, there will be instances where an offbalance tackle is made and an accidental grab is made, but will be treated equally. There is no 5 yard non-flagrant flag.
You can still grab the inside of the jersey/shoulder pads from the front.
barrel Wrote:You can still grab the inside of the jersey/shoulder pads from the front.

That is correct, but be carefull of the new chinstrap rule as well.

To clarify, Horse-Collar is considered the back or side of the neck, not the front. This is to protect the players blind side and prevent whiplash injusries that are common with the horse-collar tackle.

I get the entire list of changes, but it is now illegal to grab the chinstrap. Now, with the hand's off area of the face-mask and chin-strap, if you grab the front collar, you will have to rely on the ref's position to ensure that he feels you missed both of those items.
List of rules that are changing:

within each rule -

9-4-3 it will be illegal to grab the inside back or side collar of the runner's shoulder pads or jersey and subsequently pull the runner to the ground. The penalty will be 15 yards from the succeeding spot

9-4-3 will make it illegal to grasp an opponent's chin strap, in addition to the opponent's face mask or edge of a helmet opening

Rule 9-8-3 A maximum of three coaches may be in the restricted area to communicate with players during dead-ball situations. Before the ball becomes live, however, the coaches must retreat into the team box.

9-8-1g clarifies that the mandatory three-minute warm-up period begins immediately following the conclusion of the halftime intermission. An unsportsmanlike conduct penalty will be assessed to the head coach if the team is not back on the field prior to the start of the warm-up period.

Other changes approved by the Football Rules Committee:

· Rule 3-3-4b5 - If a penalty resulting in a safety occurs on the last timed down of a period, the period is not extended. The teams will change goals to start the next period.

· Rules 8-2-2, 8-2-3, 8-2-4 (new), 10-5-1f - Three rules were revised and a new article was created regarding penalty enforcement for dead-ball, non-player or unsportsmanlike fouls that occur during or after a touchdown-scoring play. The revisions now allow the offended team, in most situations, the option of enforcing the penalty on the subsequent kickoff. Fouls committed after the initial ready-for-play signal following the touchdown are not affected by this change.

· Rule 9-7-2 Exception: A foul will now occur for illegal batting by the kicking team if it bats a scrimmage kick that has not yet been grounded unless it is batted by the kicking team toward its own goal line.

All from the NFHS
I support these rulings. I don't know how many big plays collar tackles cost my team.