Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1998 Regional Finals: Sheldon Clark 16 Belfry 15
After Belfry defeated Sheldon Clark 42-22 in a game that was actually more lopsided than the score indicated, and after the Pirates defeated Bell County 14-13, it appeared the Pirates were on their way to a matchup with one of the greatest Ft. Thomas Highlands teams of all-time.

Sheldon Clark, fresh off an upset win vs. Pulaski Southwestern, came in with little to no chance by many. On a cold night the Cardinals utilized a ball control offense and a power running game to take an 8-0 lead. Belfry, not to be denied mustered up a last minute drive to tie the game and force overtime.

The Pirates got the ball first and quickly converted to take a 15-8 lead. SC now had the ball facing elimination after trailing for the first time in the game.

The Cards then stuck to their guns utilizing QB keepers by Harley Hammonds and strong running from Moe Spradlin. SC scored a touchdown on 4th and Goal from the 1 and then faced a decision. Go for one and force Double OT, or go for the win. Matney chose the glory.

The ball was handed off to Spradlin and the Pirate D rose to the occasion meeting him in the backfield with contact. But Spradlin would not be denied, churning his legs and crawling across the goalline. FINAL Sheldon Clark 16 Belfry 15.

The replays on Sports Overtime showed Spradlin's knee being down before he crossed the goalline, but it was too late. SC won the Regional Title and the right to play Highlands.

Just wanted to bring up this memorable game for all to remember this week.
Same thing with us for Hazard in 2006. We won 42-6 in the regular season to be defeated on a last second field goal 15-14. The similarities are eerie. A dropped interception in the endzone would have sealed it, but it wasn't to be on that night. Good Luck, Pirates.
Dang. That game must've been a dandy to watch.
I remember the game well, and even though it did not turn out the way I wanted, it was one of the most competitive and thrilling games I have seen. It is, without a doubt, the biggest win in SC history, and one of the most disappointing losses in Belfry's. If you told Coach Hager that he would hold this Belfry team to 15 points, right now, he would be happy to take his chances on scoring 16. I do not believe it will happen that way this time. However, no game in the history of this series, is a better reminder that anything can take place on any given Friday night.
An awesome game and no doubt one for the records for the Cardinals. I'm sure Belfry would just as soon forget about it though. ha! But it isn't 1998, and while SC is a good football team, Belfry is AWESOME this year, so I wouldn't expect a repeat.
belfry shoudnt take anything for grated,cause this past weekend down here in tn..a SULLIVAN SOUTH TEAM,that man handed a GREENVILLE TEAM about the same time belfry and sc played last time,this time GREENVILLE WON AND put the SOUTH TEAM HOME FOR THANKSGIVING,they was also undeafted...
It was an awesome game to watch and an even better game to play in.
10 years ago, no less...
How does the old saying go about History repeating itself... something like "Those who forget the past...."
EKU,

I bet you remember me and a little Middle Eastern kid going all out for that one!

Gosh it hurt when we lost, BUT we were on TV like 3 weeks straight!
PaytoPlay Wrote:EKU,

I bet you remember me and a little Middle Eastern kid going all out for that one!

Gosh it hurt when we lost, BUT we were on TV like 3 weeks straight!

HAHA Yes indeed... that was also the same playoffs where we all met are your place to make signs for the Pulaski County game saying "What the Heck is a Maroon Anyway?!?!?"
i am still wondering what a maroon is cause i went to madisonville north hopkins and thats what we was the maroons..
Yeah man,

I knew you came up at least once to the house.

He and I must have made 100+ 2 liter shakers - w/pennies

We were nuts... The student section should be lively like that.. Respectful (maybe more than we were) but lively none the less.
Just to relive it a bit more..

If there are any kids out there... ya know the "guy" who fires up the student section, well when I was in your place 10 years ago... me and buddy collected a hundred or more of 2 liter pop bottles. We filled them with enough pennies to make a shaker and went to the game 2 hours early to place them in peoples seat, so that they would have a "noise maker" for the game and big defensive plays.

My suggestion... take this week to make it "your" job to get EVERYONE fired up for the game. Go the extra mile and put a noisemaker in every seat.

Belfry is GOOD these days. Better than we were then. But fan support is still HUGE!
Sarrr Wrote:10 years ago, no less...

Agreed... It's remarkable the lengths some will go to in trying to keep their team/fans from taking an opponent too lightly. Belfry would be favored in Friday's game if they spotted Sheldon Clark 4 touchdowns.

No slight intended towards the Cards as they've had a darn good season. It's just that the two teams do not play on the same level at all.
it was my feshman year and that was the biggest heart break of my 4 years playing at belfry