Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Location of the 15th region 2008-2009 All A
Will be held in the East Kentucky Expo Center. First year ever for this event. I myself think it is a good idea and it is about time it was moved there.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
I'm glad I can now go watch it all without going far away.
I wonder if it will be worth having there though. Id say it takes alot of Money just to turn the lights on.
Does alot of people show up at 15 Region All A?
blackcat_mvp6 Wrote:I'm glad I can now go watch it all without going far away.
yes this is an advantage to having it at the expo... i like the idea it gives teams who would never get to play there such as Piarist and a few more the chance to play in the expo center i think it will draw a good crowd
I think this is great. Maybe it will give the small school the experience of playing there so if they do make it to the regional then they have been there.
Great!! If only we could get the state tournament held here.
I don't like this move personally. There's nothing like the atmosphere in a high school gym when two power houses like Pikeville and Shelby Valley or Pikeville and Paintsville 2OT thriller meet up. Your pressed for space, but thats all for the better for the players. It sure makes the fan's cheers a lot more motivating and exciting when its in a smaller gym, and you can hear the feet stomping on the bleachers, the fans yelling, the hand's clapping/smacking anything to make noise ..........Although I'll have to admit, the atmosphere in the Paintsville vs. Shelby Valley game at the Expo was unmatchable. But Only time will tell.
It is for the student athletics and the fans. I can not think of a more fun place for the players and fans......... Also the comfort and parking is great!!
the 15th has far bigger fish to fry, has anyone heard who will be the next assigining sect. for the officials.
last i heard was Eugene Lyons, who has never called a game by the way. I dont think this is the direction we need to go.

As far as the EXPO>>>>>great place a watch a game....
I like the idea! The small gym atmosphere is good, and you will still get that in the regular season and in the district tourney. But when it comes to regional and state level tourneys, it is time to move up. And just as with the sweet sixteen tourney, the atmosphere will get the teams better prepared to play in the All A State on the larger floor and all.
Yeah its about time that the ALL A should be moved to the Expo. Should be very entertaining.
Shew whats next...The NCAA Final 4 or the NBA finals...The Expo is a nice facility and all...But, it just takes away from the game in so many areas...It's just not gonna be the same atmosphere it would be, if it was held in a designated school's gymnasium...
uhavenoidea Wrote:Shew whats next...The NCAA Final 4 or the NBA finals...The Expo is a nice facility and all...But, it just takes away from the game in so many areas...It's just not gonna be the same atmosphere it would be, if it was held in a designated school's gymnasium...

The All A State and Rupp take away from the small gym atmosphere too. That's just the way it is at the big tourney level.
EKY Sportster Wrote:The All A State and Rupp take away from the small gym atmosphere too. That's just the way it is at the big tourney level.

Yeah, but thats the All A State and Sweet 16. Not the Regional Tournament!!!!! IMO, you can say what you want about better preparing the boys to compete on a larger court in a larger arena, but truth be told: does it matter all that much? Now if you played the whole season in Expo-like courts then, yeah it might play out to the benefit of the mountain teams, but they don't. They play on high school courts all season, and a maximum of three games on the larger court. It doesn't factor in all that much to the success of the team at state. GOOD teams will succeed, regardless of the court size they played on in the 3 games prior to state. Let em have their moment in the small gym atmosphere while they're in the mountains. There's nothing like winning it in front of a gymnasium packed. It's All about the green IMO, trying to make an extra dollar!!!!!!!
EKY Sportster Wrote:The All A State and Rupp take away from the small gym atmosphere too. That's just the way it is at the big tourney level.

Big Grin Those Tournaments are the rewards, if you win your respected region...The 15th region ALL A is made up of 6 or 7 teams...The atmosphere will not be close to what it would be at a designated school's gym...Teams fans like to storm the court and celebrate with their children, cousins, friends, etc. and that is taken away from them...They just want money, money, and more money...The ticket prices will be higher, paid parking, and concession prices will be double-priced...Yeah, playing in the expo once or twice may be nice, but when these young men get older there just gonna remember winning it, there not gonna remember the standing room only crowds and the storming of the court...
longball Wrote:the 15th has far bigger fish to fry, has anyone heard who will be the next assigining sect. for the officials.
last i heard was Eugene Lyons, who has never called a game by the way. I dont think this is the direction we need to go.

As far as the EXPO>>>>>great place a watch a game....

THE EXPO is a great place to play those games, as for the assinging sect. EUGENE LYONS has plenny of basketball in his blood. COACHED at Johns Creek for a number of years also Coached at PIKEVILLE COLLEGE , AD at Pike Central.EUGENE is also a former basketball standout at Morehead state.
just another move to try and justify the expo center,give it a few years and the miners will be gone and so will the expo:mad:
You are INCORRECT on several statements:
1) There are now 10 15th region teams in the All A. Prestonsburg & Sheldon Clark are now in.
2) No change in ticket prices.
3) Parking is free.
4) Young women and young men will play there. Both tourneys are there.

My comments:
1) Who wants to drive to Phelps, South Floyd, or Sheldon Clark to watch a tournament?
2) Who wants to dress in classrooms with no restrooms like you have to at some gyms?
3) Who wants to park in the boonies and walk?
4) What kid wouldn't want to play in the EXPO? For most kids, this is the biggest venue they will ever play in.
5) Concessions at the Expo are overpriced. Eat before you go or get a hospitality pass....LOL

uhavenoidea Wrote:Big Grin Those Tournaments are the rewards, if you win your respected region...The 15th region ALL A is made up of 6 or 7 teams...The atmosphere will not be close to what it would be at a designated school's gym...Teams fans like to storm the court and celebrate with their children, cousins, friends, etc. and that is taken away from them...They just want money, money, and more money...The ticket prices will be higher, paid parking, and concession prices will be double-priced...Yeah, playing in the expo once or twice may be nice, but when these young men get older there just gonna remember winning it, there not gonna remember the standing room only crowds and the storming of the court...
ukbadmammajamma Wrote:You are INCORRECT on several statements:
1) There are now 10 15th region teams in the All A. Prestonsburg & Sheldon Clark are now in.
3) Parking is free.

My comments:
1) Who wants to drive to Phelps, South Floyd, or Sheldon Clark to watch a tournament?
2) Who wants to dress in classrooms with no restrooms like you have to at some gyms?
4) What kid wouldn't want to play in the EXPO? For most kids, this is the biggest venue they will ever play in.
5) Concessions at the Expo are overpriced. Eat before you go or get a hospitality pass....LOL
Your comments are well taken but who from Phelps, South Floyd or Sheldon Clark would want to drive to Pikeville to watch a tournament? I thought the tournament at Paintsville was a great atmosphere for the players and as Betsy Layne this year.
Wyatt Earp Wrote:Your comments are well taken but who from Phelps, South Floyd or Sheldon Clark would want to drive to Pikeville to watch a tournament? I thought the tournament at Paintsville was a great atmosphere for the players and as Betsy Layne this year.

It is centrally located at the Expo. No one has to drive 2 hours to get there.
Paintsville-no parking and only 2 locker rooms. Two teams are in classrooms.
Betsy Layne-no parking and locker rooms smell like urine.
Sheldon Clark generally has the filthiest locker rooms in the region, but a darn good concession stand!
ukbadmammajamma Wrote:It is centrally located at the Expo. No one has to drive 2 hours to get there.
Paintsville-no parking and only 2 locker rooms. Two teams are in classrooms.
Betsy Layne-no parking and locker rooms smell like urine.
Sheldon Clark generally has the filthiest locker rooms in the region, but a darn good concession stand!

u also mentioned South Floyd...there is room for parking plenty of seats and a good concession stand...in 07 when the District was held there i heard several people say that it was the most organized tournament they had been to in the district
ukbadmammajamma Wrote:You are INCORRECT on several statements:
3) Parking is free.

My comments:

Well i was going by this year's tournament...Prestonsburg hasnt been in the last 7 or 8 tournaments or ever and SC has been in 1 of the last 4 or 5 i know of...So dont try and correct me.
Eastern Kentucky now has one of the finest facilities around. The EXPO center is a great place to watch basketball. Yes watching basketball in a small, cramped gym that is hot and smells of greasy popcorn is what most of us oldies remember being the best atmosphere. But after witnessing games at the EXPO, there is no comparison.

Glad to see the ALL A make the move. Regardless of some the posts on this thread...most are excited about the change.
With our current stages in gas prices I dont think that you can not say that driving a long distance will not matter. Whether you like it or not, and I dont, Pikeville is in ther certer so i thin this is a good move. You give small shools the experience that they will never get again and you dont have to worry about getting in. I agree that small gyms give a great experience, but with the boys an girls i will go out on a limb and say that the SV-P game (that was a simi) had more people then anyohers.
HORNET POWER Wrote:just another move to try and justify the expo center,give it a few years and the miners will be gone and so will the expo:mad:
Lol jealous? But seriously, do you think the Miners are what keep the EXPO running?
have to agree that the expo center is a great place to take in a game but by having it there is just another case where they want to control the basketball action because without the help of the state and the pike county fical court they can't keep the doors open. Yes, there is free parking but the high prices for concessaions takes away from attending a game. Keep the tournament in a class a gym because the days of schools hosting either the boys or girls regional tournaments are over with and thas a shame.TongueirateSho
Raider_Nation09 Wrote:u also mentioned South Floyd...there is room for parking plenty of seats and a good concession stand...in 07 when the District was held there i heard several people say that it was the most organized tournament they had been to in the district
You have got to be kidding. I had to park at the football field and walk down the road then up the hill to get to the gym. No room for parking there, although there was a bus transporting fans. But i like the idea of having the All A at the Expo except for one thing. Its not near as loud, like big high school games should be IMO.
100%SUCCESS Wrote:I don't like this move personally. There's nothing like the atmosphere in a high school gym when two power houses like Pikeville and Shelby Valley or Pikeville and Paintsville 2OT thriller meet up. Your pressed for space, but thats all for the better for the players. It sure makes the fan's cheers a lot more motivating and exciting when its in a smaller gym, and you can hear the feet stomping on the bleachers, the fans yelling, the hand's clapping/smacking anything to make noise ..........Although I'll have to admit, the atmosphere in the Paintsville vs. Shelby Valley game at the Expo was unmatchable. But Only time will tell.

I agree, it has it's possible disadvantages and advantages, and I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it goes next year.
I still don't know if I like this decision. I know that the high school gym's still have district tournaments but the atmosphere in the high school gyms are amazing, unless its almost sold out at the Expo, but then the games seem boring if theres not alot there. I also know that when you have it at the Expo Center that the schools make more money. Like most have already said this has its disadvantages and advantages.
You are right it has + and -. But I thought it was fun for all. I would love to see the State All A there.......