Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hot dogs
If you are out and about, where is your favorite place to grab a hot dog?  What is your favorite chain restaurant hot dog?  What is your favorite mom and pop hot dog place?  What do you like on your dogs?
I haven't had one in years, but by far my favorite place to grab a hot dog is Sam's Hot Dogs in Coal Run.  Everything about their hot dogs is perfect.  The wieners are perfectly cooked, the buns are steamed, the slaw is great, and most importantly the chilli is amazing.  I like both their regular and spicy chilli. 

My favorite way to have a hot dogs is with boiled wieners, then topped with chilli and slaw.  I also like them with mustard only or just plain.  I don't really like ketchup on a hot dog.
I prefer chili bun with mustard and onions and no dog. But if it's a dog and no chili, I want my dog with mustard and onions. A lot of folks like the Root Beer Stand chili buns and chili dogs here in Corbin. Weaver's in London always had good chili buns and chili dogs. The Dixie in downtown Corbin used to be the place to go for them but they closed. Best I remember, Sonic has a decent foot long hot dog. Been a long time since I had one, though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • Westside
Chili bun here too, no dog. With a little mustard and onions and sometimes slaw. I will get a brat with mustard when I go to the ball park though.

Mom and pops around Pikeville with good dogs are Dorsie's, Dairy Cheer and Mustang II. I used to love Sam's too but I don't think it's there anymore.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Westside
I prefer hot dog with sauce and ketchup. I don't really go out and get hot dogs because they are not very good most of the time. However three places that make a really good hot dog: Stewart's not sure if it's a chain, I have only seen two restaurants one in Huntington, WV and one in Ashland that is now closed. There was a place in Panama City, FL that I lived on their hot dogs while on Spring Break in college. Last a place just outside of Raleigh I believe called Sup Dogs.
I don't eat hot dogs very much now since a local grocery store stopped making hot dogs. They made the hot dogs in the meat department, cook them in the smoker, package them and sell in a 10 pack. Those were the best hot dogs to eat. If you cook them just right, the casing would snap when you took a bite.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jarons's post:
  • Westside
(01-18-2024, 11:32 PM)Jarons Wrote: I prefer hot dog with sauce and ketchup. I don't really go out and get hot dogs because they are not very good most of the time. However three places that make a really good hot dog: Stewart's not sure if it's a chain, I have only seen two restaurants one in Huntington,  WV and one in Ashland that is now closed.  There was a place in Panama City,  FL that I lived on their hot dogs while on Spring Break in college. Last a place just outside of Raleigh I believe called Sup Dogs.
I don't eat hot dogs very much now since a local grocery store stopped making hot dogs. They made the hot dogs in the meat department, cook them in the smoker, package them and sell in a 10 pack. Those were the best hot dogs to eat.  If you cook them just right, the casing would snap when you took a bite.

Have you ever tried the Roast Grill in Raleigh?  I have never been there, but saw it on the Travel Channel.  I didn't think it looked very good, but it seems to have a following.
(05-04-2024, 07:33 AM)Westside Wrote:
(01-18-2024, 11:32 PM)Jarons Wrote: I prefer hot dog with sauce and ketchup. I don't really go out and get hot dogs because they are not very good most of the time. However three places that make a really good hot dog: Stewart's not sure if it's a chain, I have only seen two restaurants one in Huntington,  WV and one in Ashland that is now closed.  There was a place in Panama City,  FL that I lived on their hot dogs while on Spring Break in college. Last a place just outside of Raleigh I believe called Sup Dogs.
I don't eat hot dogs very much now since a local grocery store stopped making hot dogs. They made the hot dogs in the meat department, cook them in the smoker, package them and sell in a 10 pack. Those were the best hot dogs to eat.  If you cook them just right, the casing would snap when you took a bite.

Have you ever tried the Roast Grill in Raleigh?  I have never been there, but saw it on the Travel Channel.  I didn't think it looked very good, but it seems to have a following.

I have not. I also saw it on Man Vs. Food. I was intrigued.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jarons's post:
  • Westside
Seeing this thread just made me hungrier than I already am, probably gonna get a couple chili buns (that's the way I like em to) for lunch. Love them w/ chili & slaw. If you're in the Pburg area, Hoberts has some really good ones, great sauce and the slaw just really tops it off. Dairy cheer as well has good ones, but hardly ever eat there anymore. Probably the best I've had in a long time is at the Betsy Layne dairy bar, sauce has a very sweet taste to it which is different but delicious, and slaw is great as well. If you go there, make sure to get a raspberry milk shake with your dogs, you won't regret it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes -STAT-'s post:
  • Westside
(05-08-2024, 12:08 PM)-STAT- Wrote: Seeing this thread just made me hungrier than I already am, probably gonna get a couple chili buns (that's the way I like em to) for lunch. Love them w/ chili & slaw. If you're in the Pburg area, Hoberts has some really good ones, great sauce and the slaw just really tops it off. Dairy cheer as well has good ones, but hardly ever eat there anymore. Probably the best I've had in a long time is at the Betsy Layne dairy bar, sauce has a very sweet taste to it which is different but delicious, and slaw is great as well. If you go there, make sure to get a raspberry milk shake with your dogs, you won't regret it.

I always loved the steak sandwiches, pizza breads, and pizza from Hoberts.  I grandfather lived a mile or less from there and I used get food from there a lot when I was younger.  I haven't eaten at Hoberts in about 20 years now.
(05-08-2024, 12:59 PM)Westside Wrote:
(05-08-2024, 12:08 PM)-STAT- Wrote: Seeing this thread just made me hungrier than I already am, probably gonna get a couple chili buns (that's the way I like em to) for lunch. Love them w/ chili & slaw. If you're in the Pburg area, Hoberts has some really good ones, great sauce and the slaw just really tops it off. Dairy cheer as well has good ones, but hardly ever eat there anymore. Probably the best I've had in a long time is at the Betsy Layne dairy bar, sauce has a very sweet taste to it which is different but delicious, and slaw is great as well. If you go there, make sure to get a raspberry milk shake with your dogs, you won't regret it.

I always loved the steak sandwiches, pizza breads, and pizza from Hoberts.  I have never eaten their hotdogs.  My grandfather lived a mile or less from there, and I used eat there a lot when I was younger.  I haven't eaten at Hoberts in about 20 years now.  Betsy Dairy Bar is good.