Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
East Carter vs. Lawrence County Scrimmage 8/11
The Raiders are leading the Bulldogs 6-0 at the half.

East now up on Lawrence 12-0 with a bout 3 minutes left in the 3rd quarter.
JV Dawgs won 20-0

Varsity was 12-7 East Carter
LC lost a lot of offensive firepower last year…..guess we’ll have to see if this is just growing pains …or a sign.
New offense and next man up at Qb, just needs more reps.
This is a surprising result. I thought Lawrence had their program rolling again. East Carter isn’t a pushover anymore, but they aren’t Belfry either. Maybe it’s going to be a year or two before Lawrence arrives at where I thought they were headed.
Overall score was Lawrence 27 and East Carter 12. No special team was played and I believe Lawrence will have a heads up in these areas. Lawrence has 4 new starting lineman, a quarterback who is new and gaining reps, new offense and a lot of young guys seeing playing time. It’s a work in progress but they will be fine.
Mixed bag from LC last night. They were substituting liberally on both sides of the ball, so I wouldn't read too much into the result. But there are definitely areas of concern, and some bright spots also.

Defensively, EC's first score was against mostly 2's. But the second TD drive was against the 1's. The 1's played well for the most part, but got beat at the LOS on that drive. Not too worried here though.

Offensively, it's all on the O line (isn't it always?). LC ripped off yardage in chunks, but then they'd have a bad snap (several), a hold (several), a false start, etc. to kill the drive. I like what I saw from the skill positions. QB showed growth from last week, but LC still needs to get #7 back and healthy, on both sides of the ball.

Give EC some credit. They've got some size, some backs that run hard, and they're well coached. They were on par with Belfry last year.
(08-12-2023, 09:58 AM)lcgrad2002 Wrote: Overall score was Lawrence 27 and East Carter 12. No special team was played and I believe Lawrence will have a heads up in these areas. Lawrence has 4 new starting lineman, a quarterback who is new and gaining reps, new offense and a lot of young guys seeing playing time. It’s a work in progress but they will be fine.
So was the score 12-7 EC or 27-12 LC?  And what happen to last years QB, I didn't think he was a senior? Sorry I'm not able to keep up, no longer live in the area but still love my Dawg family, and all you guys keeping the info coming. Keep up the efforts.
Varsity was 12-7, score was reset after each 10 minute period. JV played last little bit and that was 20-0 so there’s different ways to look at it I guess, depending on who you talk to. If it’s overall then it’s 27-12 Lawerence. If you do it just by varsity or JV, then it was 12-7 East Carter in 3 10 minute periods. Last years quarterback is a senior this year. From what I’ve been told, it’s nothing serious and should be cleared to play soon.

Technically, here is how the scoring went by quarters.

Q1 0-0
Q2 0-6 EC
Q3 7-6 LC
Q4 20-0 LC
As Harry Dawg said, LC was subbing liberally last night. So much so that I couldn't keep up. It was hard to determine who their ones were. I believe Coach Short said that a lot of young guys were competing for spots and that's probably what they were doing.

They need a lot of work on the o line. I believe they're teaching a new blocking scheme and are playing a lot of younger guys. The o line coaches are good and will coach them up, in my opinion. Improvements in this area will be one of the biggest keys to the season, though.

Pollack coming back soon will be a big boost on both sides of the ball. In my opinion, he's their best player. However, the young sophomore QB is looking good and this will be good experience for him for down the road.

One last thing, in my opinion, they might as well insert no. 4 (Williams) in at rb and no. 21 (Chico) in at wr. Those two have a chance to be stars down the road and are probably ready to contribute now. I think Williams would be a good combo along side Crum and McDavid.
Very accurate! Kids are improving! There are a lot of new things this year, it’s going to take some time to get rolling but when they do they’re going to be fun to watch and hard to stop.
Prestonsburg scrimmaged East Carter last week and EC has a legit 3A football program. I don’t know how folks in 3A rank them preseason, but they gotta be in top 10 or just outside.

I think a lot of folks are reading way too much into scrimmages. I see it in each thread I open talking about scrimmage results. There’s going to be good and bad. Coaches are trying to see what they got, fill positions, and find depth.
You’re exactly right! You can’t tell how a team is going to be all year by a scrimmage.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lcgrad2002's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
i thought lawrences qb returned?
The QB returns. He's just been out.
People don't understand that EC has a solid 3a school this year, big boys on the line, qb is solid, and Wr's are beasts!! You take the penalties away from lawrence and they come out with the win. This new scheme is all new for lawrence. Anyone know how long the starting QB is suppose to be out?
Even with all that said it was a great scrimmage. They held them to 12 points by the end of 3rd quarter.
The jv are fire this year also and the middle school team coming in next year are just gonna be that much better!!! Fun to watch the young jv team score 20 points in the last quarter!! They have some absolute monsters
Lc done really good. I'd rather see a few mistakes made now than down the road!! You bring me thus game in October and it will be a great game
#AllinLc