Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville 59 North Laurel 51 (Sweet 16 Opening Round)
Final from Rupp Arena. 

The #9 Panthers improve to 32-2 on the season with a victory over the #6 North Laurel Jaguars in the Sweet 16. The 32 wins is the most in program history. 

Pikeville will advance to Friday’s quarterfinals to take on the #1 team in the state in George Rogers Clark. 

What an absolute clinic defensively by the Panthers. Rylee Samons & Keian Worrix opened some eyes tonight. Robinson, Hall, Walters, & Jarrell played their guts out as well. Damn proud of this team. 

Rupp Arena was quiet tonight. A lot of folks left disappointed they didn’t get the show they came to see. 

HAIL PIKEVILLE!
[-] The following 2 users Like Panther Thunder's post:
  • MO2704, The Ugly Truth
Let me guess: “Pikeville will see what blah blah blah GRC blah blah blah cant compete blah blah blah”

Nothing that happens Friday changes anything. This is the best season in Panther history. Go complain somewhere else.
[-] The following 2 users Like Panther Thunder's post:
  • Grinch1, PHSFAN
Think this proves we don't need classes in basketball.
[-] The following 1 user Likes pirateforlife's post:
  • FootballFan1999
Congratulations Pikeville!
Congratulations to the players and coaching staff!!

Now go shock the state on Friday!!
I just came here to tell WankWankler to get eff’D.  North Laurel wouldn’t have won the 60th district.  

Wink, wink.
(03-16-2022, 11:46 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: Think this proves we don't need classes in basketball.
I really don't think many are that surprised, not like NL is a state power and both of those regions do not win much at State, but congrats Pikeville.
Not surprised by this result. Take away Reed and North becomes very pedestrian. Hope Pikeville continues to roll.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • Big Daddy Bull
Oh yeah. Someone has to eat a hat.
[-] The following 3 users Like Panther Thunder's post:
  • FootballFan1999, HAIL PIKEVILLE!, jetpilot
Congratulations Pikeville you guys are good. Beat GRC guess I will buy a Pikeville shirt tomorrow. Go Panthers!!! I really want to buy a #5 jersey that worrix kid has a new follower for sure
[-] The following 4 users Like 64SUR's post:
  • BoondockSaint, Hambley, jetpilot, Panther Thunder
Only caught bits and pieces, but it looked as if lots of corner threes weren't falling for North Laurel. Noticed Worrix and Sammons' names being called a lot. Pikeville's experience in the All A definitely didn't hurt. Play this game in a smaller gym or run it back and the outcome may be different, but a more sterile shooting background still wouldn't have helped North on the glass, it just might have meant they wouldn't have to go to it as often.
Pikeville controlled this game from the second quarter on. As PT said, Pikevilles defense was other worldly good! Sheppard couldn’t breathe most of the night. Didn’t even reach double figures till the 4th Quarter. Keian was a man amongst boys tonight. One play he crossed up Sheppard so bad you’d think he was wearing Ice Skates. Now, the Panthers are playing with “House Money”. The pressure is SOLELY on GRC to not just win this game but the whole shooting match. Am I guaranteeing an upset? No. Is GRC capable of running us out of the gym? Absolutely. Just stating the facts of the current situation for both teams. HAIL PIKEVILLE!!!
Pikeville plays lockdown defense and the refs allowed a lot of physicality which worked in Pikeville’s favor. I thought Sheppard was fouled quite a few times on shot attempts but didn’t get it called.
In the final analysis though, what cost North the game was missing wide open 3’s that they normally make. One player on their teams, I think Davidson, has over 100 treys for the season. They were cold tonight. Now, most of their shots were contested but they did get more than enough open looks to have won the game but simply couldn’t cash in on them.

I like this Pikeville team. Gritty and tough. Play intelligent and their coach had them well prepared. They did a fantastic job of stopping Sheppard in the half court offense before he could ever make a move to get much done. Worrix is a warrior on defense. However, I don’t think they have much of a chance of derailing Clark Co but they will keep it close for a while. I think in the end Clark wins by around 12-15.
(03-17-2022, 01:18 AM)Panther Thunder Wrote: Oh yeah. Someone has to eat a hat.

Blueberry hat preferably.
[-] The following 1 user Likes FootballFan1999's post:
  • jetpilot
Congratulations to Coach Justice and the Panthers! This one surprised me, but it shouldn’t have.
Pikeville is perhaps the stingiest team in it. They have serious length, strong shooters from distance, and perhaps the quickest point in the whole event.
Combine that with maturity, solid coaching, and nothing they do should surprise me.
Go the distance, Panthers!
[-] The following 3 users Like Brutus's post:
  • Big Five-0-, jetpilot, MO2704
Congratulations to Pikeville on a really nice win.