Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville 71 Martin County 46 (15th Region Semifinals)
Final from the Appalachian Wireless Arena. 

The #9 Panthers improve to 30-2 on the season. The first 30-Win season since Dave Thomas’ 1999 Panthers. 

The game was close mid-way through the 3rd, but the Panthers absolutely ran away with the win. It was 38-37 with 3:46 to play in the 3rd.

Pike High will face the winner of Pike Central & Betsy Layne in the Championship on Monday.

Laithan Hall led a balanced scoring attack with 16.
Impressive win for the Panthers. Good luck from here out.
Refs were not afraid to blow the whistle in this one. First half, neither team could get into any type of flow and Martin County's two best players had 3 fouls midway through the 2nd quarter and arguably Pikeville's best player (Warrix) was in foul trouble as well. I think Dingess picked up his 4th early in the 3rd as well. That played a factor on the game, I don't think it would've changed the outcome because Pikeville was clearly better, but I think it would've been a more competitive game if the refs would've allowed them to play some more.

Congrats Pikeville!
Panthers have to learn to close out teams
(03-06-2022, 01:28 AM)Hambley Wrote: Panthers have to learn to close out teams
What do you call that 4th quarter?

[-] The following 1 user Likes HAIL PIKEVILLE!'s post:
  • Card2000
Pikeville played extremely hard pressure defense all game long. It was like the old Pitino defense of “the refs can’t call all of the fouls”. It almost backfired when their entire team was in foul trouble in the 1st half but Martin County finally broke down in the 3rd quarter. The panthers were able to get so many easy baskets off forced turnovers.
Hall did a great job taking brady dingess basically out of the game with his defense.
(03-06-2022, 05:17 AM)HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:
Pretty sure he means put them away when you have them down 18-4 and don't let them hang around until the 4th...
(03-06-2022, 06:01 AM)The Ugly Truth Wrote: Hall did a great job taking brady dingess basically out of the game with his defense.
In my opinion the key to this game.  Laithan played his tail off on both ends of the court!  I really hope he get an opportunity to play at the next level, he deserves it.
(03-06-2022, 04:37 PM)The Scoop Wrote:
(03-06-2022, 06:01 AM)The Ugly Truth Wrote: Hall did a great job taking brady dingess basically out of the game with his defense.
In my opinion the key to this game.  Laithan played his tail off on both ends of the court!  I really hope he get an opportunity to play at the next level, he deserves it.

If I am not mistaken he does have an offer from Alice Lloyd so that opportunity is already there if he wants it. As an ALC fan, I'd love to see him there.