Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What type of numbers does your team have out?
bigpun Wrote:Well you are mistaken. The eighth graders as of right now will be playing up with the freshmen. They will have their own full schedule. The 7th graders and some eighth graders will play the Jr. High schedule. Nothing illegal about it.
I am pretty sure that junior high students are not allowed to participate in high school sports if it is a "contact" sport. Football and soccer are contact sports at PHS so I don't see the junior high kids being allowed to play these two sports...so I think you are mistaken unless you plan to do it illegally!!
They're not allowed to participate in Varsity sports. They can't practice with the varsity, but can practice with the JV and Freshmen teams. And they can play in the JV and Freshmen games as well. Thats straight from Julian Tackett at the KHSAA.

We have some advanced 8th graders who need to play up so we called and made sure.
ComeFlyWithMe Wrote:Some kids also realize that football isn't everything and that their family could be gone any time so they take the chance on missing a few days of practice to spend time with their family away from home any time they can, not all of the kids around here are going to the nfl, they don't have to be dedicated 24/7.
And there is a dead period and the rest of the summer...it's not dedicated 24/7...but a commitment is a commitment.
I Rule The World Wrote:They're not allowed to participate in Varsity sports. They can't practice with the varsity, but can practice with the JV and Freshmen teams. And they can play in the JV and Freshmen games as well. Thats straight from Julian Tackett at the KHSAA.

We have some advanced 8th graders who need to play up so we called and made sure.
Thanks. You cleared that up nicer than I would have considering I knew the rule as well.
bball fan Wrote:I am pretty sure that junior high students are not allowed to participate in high school sports if it is a "contact" sport. Football and soccer are contact sports at PHS so I don't see the junior high kids being allowed to play these two sports...so I think you are mistaken unless you plan to do it illegally!!
I dont think the Coaching staff would jepordize their careers by puting 8th graders and freshmen on the field together and schedule games for them if it was illegal. So obviously they know something you dont(I know how hard that is for you to imagine LOL!)
bball fan Wrote:What a pitiful post!! Football players have had since late May until July 15 to take a vacation with their family. The KHSAA even made a 2 week dead period to help out with this problem. If a kid is serious about football then he won't be on vacation right now...period!!! It has nothing to do with loving your family!!!
So what youre saying is that high school sports are more important than your family. You dont know every situation and you dont know what these kids parents schedules are. These parents have worked hard all year long and want to take a vacation. Sometimes that can be scheduled from may through dead period and sometimes it cant. I believe these kids should be at practice every day there is practice and not miss a day. But, youre not being realistic here. Its not like the coaches can tell these players' families that THEY cant go on vacation because practice is going on. Id actually like to be present if a coach ever tried to tell a players mom or dad that. What would happen after that would be hillarious and well deserved.
I Rule The World Wrote:They're not allowed to participate in Varsity sports. They can't practice with the varsity, but can practice with the JV and Freshmen teams. And they can play in the JV and Freshmen games as well. Thats straight from Julian Tackett at the KHSAA.

Good post! Thanks, I misunderstood the rule!
Prestonsburg will dress around 35 players this year
dfblackcat53 Wrote:Prestonsburg will dress around 35 players this year
Are numbers down that much at P-burg?
bigpun Wrote:Are numbers down that much at P-burg?
35 is about what they have had past few years, dont let the numbers fool ya though, Pburg will be better this year than past couple years.
Estill has more out than i've seen in the few years that i've been here. Right around forty but it will probably narrow down to around thirty five before the season starts. Big freshman class, but a lot of them have potential. Can't wait for the season to start. We're expecting big things! Trample the weak, Hurdle the dead!!
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:So what youre saying is that high school sports are more important than your family. You dont know every situation and you dont know what these kids parents schedules are. These parents have worked hard all year long and want to take a vacation. Sometimes that can be scheduled from may through dead period and sometimes it cant. I believe these kids should be at practice every day there is practice and not miss a day. But, youre not being realistic here. Its not like the coaches can tell these players' families that THEY cant go on vacation because practice is going on. Id actually like to be present if a coach ever tried to tell a players mom or dad that. What would happen after that would be hillarious and well deserved.

The poster I quoted also has to think that some counties like Pike didn't get out till almost the 2nd week of June, so that put vacations up even longer, so you can cut May out of the situation there.
LCC has 67 out.
Pike Central has around 40 right now which is up from the past few seasons but of course that will dwindle.
I'm not sure on the exact number, but it looked like east ridge had some more out yesterday.
Jimmy Dugan Wrote:I'm not sure on the exact number, but it looked like east ridge had some more out yesterday.

I believe coach said we had around 45
Looks like Lawrence Co. Has been having about 45 to 50 kids out so far.
Betsy Layne looked like they had a good number of boys out, for summer.
51 on the roster now!
warriorpride Wrote:I believe coach said we had around 45
CoachB Wrote:51 on the roster now!

we hit big with the new freshman and mike rowe came back, I heard Tommy should be back sometime this week.
Belfry had about 75 out including the freshman class which I will add were very impressive and big! Best freshman group in a while.