Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 31 - Southwestern 7
Final from Pulaski Co.
Belfry dominates in every aspect of the game. Southwestern is in a obvious rebuilding year. Southwestern has a nice team with good athletes, there searching for there identity at this point.

Belfry just doing what they do at this point. Offensive line struggled at times, but has plenty of size and athleticism to gel into a great unit in several weeks. Back field is loaded with talent. I was impressed with first year starter Canterbury at Qb. He played mistake free football.

Belfry played lights out on defense, athletes all over the field! I was impressed with the D-line and the over all defensive pursuit to the ball.

It shoul be a good year on pond creek if everyone can stay healthy and offensive line can continue their progress.
Nice win for the Pirates.
Rudy Blackwell played a great game as a freshman.

Dixon has great speed and needs the ball in his hands.

The backfield is loaded and the offense will come around once Brett returns.

Seth Mounts moving to MLB makes him a playmaker.
Very impressed with Blackwell on defense. The kid is a athlete. Mounts is definitely a different maker, he only knows one speed. Overall Belfry has what it takes to make a run at Kroger field, if the offensive line continues to grow.
One of the best backfields in the state. They can make you pay every play.
Isaac Dixon is A GROWN MAN, he needs to touch the ball about 20 times a game. Southwestern has a pretty good defense, but their offense is terrible. They couldn't get anything going. Belfry O line was OK but #55 is huge and opens up holes, really liked him. #23 on Belfry defense is good too.
Congrats Belfry, 55 I hope your boy got to play and is healthy.....
Anytime someone beats a Pulaski county team an angel gets it's wings.
Congratulations to Belfry, Belfry doing what they do. If they stay healthy they will be hard to deal with come play off time. One down but not perfect, plenty to work on. As all the Belfry fans know one game at a time and improve every game.
I watched this game for the first half, then tapped out. Getting too old!!!

The score at the half was 17/0 and Southwestern's defense started out very strong, holding Belfry to a field goal for their first score. But in true Belfry fashion, they wore down their opponents for an impressive win on the road. I felt deep empathy with their drive to Southwestern and back! Done that kind of thing many times.

Congratulations Pirates!
Congrats to the Pirates on the win. This RAM is looking forward to following the Pirates this season.
Watched majority of the game and come away really impressed with Belfry. Wasn't sure what to expect from the Pirates after some recent graduations, but they seem to be the same Belfry team they almost always are. Not one of their best teams, but they have some home run hitters and that defense is legit. I know SW cost themselves many times on offense, but Belfry was almost always in the right position to make plays on defense.

Best of luck to both teams this season... Congrats Pirates!
I'll give my thoughts on the Pirates win last night.

First off, to the kids from Southwestern, keep your heads up! You guys have some very good athletes and the future is bright for you young men. It's also just the first game of the season and the season is far from over. Get healthy and keep working, you'll get there.

For my Pirates:

Offensively, man do we have some skill players in the backfield! Dixon, Bentley, and Hensley has to be one of the best trios in the state. Israel Canterbury played great at QB. He played a mistake free game in an offense that's he's still learning. Belfry's offense is not easy to run but this kid was almost perfect in doing so last night filling in for Brett Coleman. As for the offensive line, we have some work to do. But it was expected. They are young and very inexperienced with only one returning starter from last years team. But considering that, I thought they played a pretty good football game last night as a group. But like I said, they've got some work to do. We have the size on the O-Line without a doubt, just got to get some experience. It's not easy playing O-Line at Belfry. Alot of pressure and expectations. But they'll get there in a couple of games. And when they do and we get Coleman back at QB, this offense will be absolutely scary!

Defensively, WOW! This side of the ball was like Baker Mayfield yesterday morning, they ALL woke up feeling dangerous! From the first snap they were hitting everything! Flying to the ball, team tackling, making good reads, staying on their assignments, hard hitting, and getting in the backfield. I've been tough on our defense for a while now and with reason. Just seemed like they were not playing with an identity. And at times I've even questioned their heart and toughness. Man, if they didn't shut me up last night! Absolutely one of the best defensive games I've seen Belfry play in a long time. And one of the most physical games. If our defense plays like that the rest of the year and our offense keeps doing what they do, we will be very, very hard to beat by anybody on our schedule and in the 3A playoffs. Our D-Line was awesome. Want to single out big #23 Jake Baisden. Big Jake looked like Raquan Horton out there last night. He seemed to live in the backfield. Not always getting the tackle but he kept disrupting the offense. Our DE's and LB's played just as good. Grayson Cook had a good game, he always does when hes out there. Nice to see Seth Mounts back on the field. And he to played a good game. Seth is one of our players that could be All State, no doubt, but he has been hammered with injuries since he's been in high school. When he's on the field, he makes a difference. He's got to stay healthy. Jonathan Stepp was a monster last night. This guy was everywhere, running around making plays like a mad man! Freshman Rudy Blackwell is going to be a star at Belfry. Kid made some big plays last night. Our secondary looked fast and ready for everything. Defense was OUTSTANDING!

Overall, Belfry really surprised me last night. I really thought we were going to start the season 0-1. When I watched them practice and watched the scrimmage games, they just looked out of sync. The Pirates just didn't look right. I told a couple of my buddies that we're just not ready for the season to start. Boy was I wrong! The entire defense was the MVP in my book. Everyone played great. If we play like we did last night there's not a doubt in my mind that we will be at Kroger field holding up trophy #7. With that said, we played really good but we wasn't perfect. Still some work to do. But there's always room for improvements. My main concern with this team is the offensive line maturing and our health. The line will get there. Just going to take a couple games to get that experience of playing on a big high school stage. Health concerns me the most. If we dont stay healthy, we can't win. We don't have the depth in years past. We have a few players, key players, that have missed a few games the past two years because of injuries. They have to find a way to play every game. If they do, this could be a special season.
single shot Wrote:Congrats Belfry, 55 I hope your boy got to play and is healthy.....

Thank you my friend. He did start and play, and played well I thought, considering. But you could tell he was in pain and was limping around most of the night. Very painful playing on an ankle sprain. He was held out of practice all week just to nurse it so they could see if he could play. Not only did he play, he was named a team captain for the game. That's what I love most about him, his heart and toughness. He's never missed a game because of an injury or anything else and he's been hurt many times and still played. He was pulled at the end of the 3rd Qtr when we were up 31-0. Coach said he had done enough.
#55PirateFan Wrote:I'll give my thoughts on the Pirates win last night.

First off, to the kids from Southwestern, keep your heads up! You guys have some very good athletes and the future is bright for you young men. It's also just the first game of the season and the season is far from over. Get healthy and keep working, you'll get there.

For my Pirates:

Offensively, man do we have some skill players in the backfield! Dixon, Bentley, and Hensley has to be one of the best trios in the state. Israel Canterbury played great at QB. He played a mistake free game in an offense that's he's still learning. Belfry's offense is not easy to run but this kid was almost perfect in doing so last night filling in for Brett Coleman. As for the offensive line, we have some work to do. But it was expected. They are young and very inexperienced with only one returning starter from last years team. But considering that, I thought they played a pretty good football game last night as a group. But like I said, they've got some work to do. We have the size on the O-Line without a doubt, just got to get some experience. It's not easy playing O-Line at Belfry. Alot of pressure and expectations. But they'll get there in a couple of games. And when they do and we get Coleman back at QB, this offense will be absolutely scary!

Defensively, WOW! This side of the ball was like Baker Mayfield yesterday morning, they ALL woke up feeling dangerous! From the first snap they were hitting everything! Flying to the ball, team tackling, making good reads, staying on their assignments, hard hitting, and getting in the backfield. I've been tough on our defense for a while now and with reason. Just seemed like they were not playing with an identity. And at times I've even questioned their heart and toughness. Man, if they didn't shut me up last night! Absolutely one of the best defensive games I've seen Belfry play in a long time. And one of the most physical games. If our defense plays like that the rest of the year and our offense keeps doing what they do, we will be very, very hard to beat by anybody on our schedule and in the 3A playoffs. Our D-Line was awesome. Want to single out big #23 Jake Baisden. Big Jake looked like Raquan Horton out there last night. He seemed to live in the backfield. Not always getting the tackle but he kept disrupting the offense. Our DE's and LB's played just as good. Grayson Cook had a good game, he always does when hes out there. Nice to see Seth Mounts back on the field. And he to played a good game. Seth is one of our players that could be All State, no doubt, but he has been hammered with injuries since he's been in high school. When he's on the field, he makes a difference. He's got to stay healthy. Jonathan Stepp was a monster last night. This guy was everywhere, running around making plays like a mad man! Freshman Rudy Blackwell is going to be a star at Belfry. Kid made some big plays last night. Our secondary looked fast and ready for everything. Defense was OUTSTANDING!

Overall, Belfry really surprised me last night. I really thought we were going to start the season 0-1. When I watched them practice and watched the scrimmage games, they just looked out of sync. The Pirates just didn't look right. I told a couple of my buddies that we're just not ready for the season to start. Boy was I wrong! The entire defense was the MVP in my book. Everyone played great. If we play like we did last night there's not a doubt in my mind that we will be at Kroger field holding up trophy #7. With that said, we played really good but we wasn't perfect. Still some work to do. But there's always room for improvements. My main concern with this team is the offensive line maturing and our health. The line will get there. Just going to take a couple games to get that experience of playing on a big high school stage. Health concerns me the most. If we dont stay healthy, we can't win. We don't have the depth in years past. We have a few players, key players, that have missed a few games the past two years because of injuries. They have to find a way to play every game. If they do, this could be a special season.

I wouldn’t gear up too much on this game, our quarterback quit last season, quit this year, came back out two weeks ago, and transferred his freshman season, somehow he still got the start. Maybe we should have started the kid that was “yikes”.
Kywarrior14 Wrote:I wouldn’t gear up too much on this game, our quarterback quit last season, quit this year, came back out two weeks ago, and transferred his freshman season, somehow he still got the start. Maybe we should have started the kid that was “yikes”.

Not "gearing up" at all by the way y'all played. My statement is based on how I saw us play. But since you mentioned QB's, we didnt have ours either.
Kywarrior14 Wrote:I wouldn’t gear up too much on this game, our quarterback quit last season, quit this year, came back out two weeks ago, and transferred his freshman season, somehow he still got the start. Maybe we should have started the kid that was “yikes”.

I hate to talk about a kid but I can’t get over that decision. The offense Looked awful and all I had heard was how much better the offense would be. Defense looked ok at times, Austin Barnes was announced on every tackle. I thought Xavier had a concussion in the scrimmage, he played the first half then I didn’t see him at all the second half. Also what’s up with wright and the ware’s they didn’t even dress?
Kywarrior14 Wrote:I hate to talk about a kid but I can’t get over that decision. The offense Looked awful and all I had heard was how much better the offense would be. Defense looked ok at times, Austin Barnes was announced on every tackle. I thought Xavier had a concussion in the scrimmage, he played the first half then I didn’t see him at all the second half. Also what’s up with wright and the ware’s they didn’t even dress?

You didnt ask me but I'll tell you what I saw and think. Other than the three big runs for touchdowns we had I thought y'alls defense played pretty good. If I remember right, we got in the red zone our first two possessions and were held to only 3 points. And with Belfry's rushing offense and big play ability that was very impressive to me. And dont take that as me bragging because I don't do that. Especially when I'm talking about kids. What I'm saying is, in the past few years almost everyone we've played have not stopped our offense they've just outscored us. So like I said, other than those 3 big plays I thought you guys played good defense. I cant remenber his name or number (the way your uniforms are, it was hard for us to see the numbers) but that middle linebacker was/is a STUD! He's a football player. I thought your D-Line played pretty good at times as well. Your offense needs a little work. Especially the O-Line. I think if your backfield had a little more time for plays to develop they would have been more effective. You guys have some really good looking football players and some speed. Like I said in my earlier post, its only the first game of the season, theres a long way to go. You guys get healthy, work out a couple things, and get the young guys some experience I think you'll be just fine. On a side note, I loved the hire of Coach Foley. IMO, I dont think Southwestern could have hired a better coach to run that program. I dont know the man personally but everything I've heard about him is nothing but good things. Hope you dont take my posts the wrong way and good luck to you guys the rest of the way.
#55PirateFan Wrote:Thank you my friend. He did start and play, and played well I thought, considering. But you could tell he was in pain and was limping around most of the night. Very painful playing on an ankle sprain. He was held out of practice all week just to nurse it so they could see if he could play. Not only did he play, he was named a team captain for the game. That's what I love most about him, his heart and toughness. He's never missed a game because of an injury or anything else and he's been hurt many times and still played. He was pulled at the end of the 3rd Qtr when we were up 31-0. Coach said he had done enough.

A friend of mine was there and he didn't say your boy played well, he said he was a "STUD". I know us dad's always want more but this is a guy who is impartial and he just knows you from your posts here. He said your son was "for real". Good luck to you guys and him.
#55PirateFan your son is a BEAST!!! Myself and the guys that I was with couldn't quit talking about how he was everywhere on the field. He never stopped blocking and was just killing people. He was alot of fun to watch! I think I read somewhere about Belfry not having elite speed, and whoever said that hasn't seen #3 run the ball. I was curious as to what time Belfry made it home. I left with a couple of minutes to go in the third and it was after 11 pm, and I know that it's a good 4 hour ride home for you guys. That had to be a very long day.
smoke1015 Wrote:A friend of mine was there and he didn't say your boy played well, he said he was a "STUD". I know us dad's always want more but this is a guy who is impartial and he just knows you from your posts here. He said your son was "for real". Good luck to you guys and him.

Thank you my friend, we really appreciate that.
Rip/Spin Wrote:#55PirateFan your son is a BEAST!!! Myself and the guys that I was with couldn't quit talking about how he was everywhere on the field. He never stopped blocking and was just killing people. He was alot of fun to watch! I think I read somewhere about Belfry not having elite speed, and whoever said that hasn't seen #3 run the ball. I was curious as to what time Belfry made it home. I left with a couple of minutes to go in the third and it was after 11 pm, and I know that it's a good 4 hour ride home for you guys. That had to be a very long day.

Thank you! We really appreciate the kind words from you guys. And Ethan does to. He gets on here sometimes. Thats why I always try to be nice and watch what I say. These kids do get on here and read these threads. But thank you my friend. I think most got home around 4am. It was a long trip but for myself, I enjoy them. Nothing like hitting the road on a cross state drive to watch Kentucky high school football. And that's not being sarcastic either. I really do enjoy the long trips. But that's just me. I know most folks dont.
Rip/Spin Wrote:#55PirateFan your son is a BEAST!!! Myself and the guys that I was with couldn't quit talking about how he was everywhere on the field. He never stopped blocking and was just killing people. He was alot of fun to watch! I think I read somewhere about Belfry not having elite speed, and whoever said that hasn't seen #3 run the ball. I was curious as to what time Belfry made it home. I left with a couple of minutes to go in the third and it was after 11 pm, and I know that it's a good 4 hour ride home for you guys. That had to be a very long day.

Yeah, we got a little bit of speed. Lol! Alot of people dont know this but my son, #3 Issac Dixon, and DE #34 Grayson Cook are all cousins.
Talented family!!!!

Smile
Kywarrior14 Wrote:I hate to talk about a kid but I can’t get over that decision. The offense Looked awful and all I had heard was how much better the offense would be. Defense looked ok at times, Austin Barnes was announced on every tackle. I thought Xavier had a concussion in the scrimmage, he played the first half then I didn’t see him at all the second half. Also what’s up with wright and the ware’s they didn’t even dress?

The offense averaged 30 points a game last year and 39 points a game the year before.
I agree with you completely. SW was struggling on offense very badly. The starting QB was out. I think they went through 4 players. They ended up with their stud MLB playing qb. He had never played a set of downs as a qb. One had a slight concussion and the others where just clueless. SW defense I think would had lasted a bit longer but did get worn down. I really enjoyed watching the game. It for me as well would be worth a long drive to watch.
Belfry good. SW not very good. No offense but SW doesn’t have the athletes to play with a team like Belfry. No threats at any position.
Congrats to the Pirates!