Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anthony Kennedy resigns from SCOTUS
Another slot for Trump to fill on the Supreme Court bench; possibly a surprising vacancy.

So what, who and when?

I'm betting that there will be someone in that slot before they convene in October.
^^ And I'm betting you are exactly right about that. Mitch McConnell, despite being inexorably mired in nostalgia for days gone by, nonetheless has already confirmed there will be a vote to confirm the President's nominee by this fall. And he had better darn well do so prior to the election unless he wants to start calling Chuck Schumer daddy.

Past that, this could well be a truly historic moment in American history. DJT has the opportunity to place a true Constitutionalist on SCOTUS. Incredibly given Ruth Bader Ginsberg's frail health, the possibility of shaping the Court for the coming decades with at least 3 nominees, is no stretch. Ted Cruz opined that it is entirely possible to completely bridge the politics of both liberal/progressives and conservatives by nominating strict Constitutionalists to the Court.

I say bring it! TongueirateShoConfusedinglepar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I pray the right person gets to be on the court. If I were liberal, I would have been quite pleased with Ginsburg and Breyer who were nominated by Clinton and then Sotomayor and Kagan who were nominated by Obama. Unfortunately, the Republican Party does not have a good history with picking judges. If I were liberal I would have been content with Sandra Day O'Connor, David Souter, and of course, very happy with John Paul Stevens, all of whom were nominated by Republican presidents.

We need a home run here - I am not familiar with many of the judges on Donald Trump's list but I saw two or three I liked. Don Willett from Texas being one, he would be a home run. Right now it looks like Brett Kavanaugh is the front runner - doesn't look like there's a whole lot of information on him. That's what mainly concerns me. We at least had some small bits on Gorsuch that gave good indications as to where he would lean when he was nominated.

Time will tell, Trump might send a good nominee that gets blocked by RINOs wanting to cave to the left and with a 51-49 advantage there is no room for error. Throw in the fact that someone like Jeff Flake might want to get a parting shot at Trump, that could damage some things.
Okay so here we are two months later and Granny Bear's bet looks to be well taken. That is according to Mitch McConnell's opinion as of 55 minutes ago.

EXCERPT---
Majority Leader Mitch McConnell tells Hugh Hewitt this morning that Kavanaugh gave “a virtuoso performance,” and that his confirmation later this month is assured:
https://hotair.com/archives/2018/09/07/m...med-month/

Further, and more specifically according to Senate leadership' assurances, we can expect to see the Kavanaugh confirmation happen during the last week of this month. Mitch has not wavered from his stated and inflexible promise to see this nominee confirmed prior to the midterms. This is important because of the following reasons. There is in fact, a verifiable resistance to the Trump Administration being prosecuted by the Dems and the Republican establishment in the federal government as we speak. And where McConnell and certainly Speaker Paul Ryan have been AWOL, and therefore derelict in their sworn roles of leadership in the people's business; They are nonetheless not willing to completely scuttle the US ship of state as the result of their commitment to the 'resistance.'

To explain this more fully, in the minds of the Republican establishment past and present to include George W., George H., and the afore mentioned current leadership along with many others, Trump is not worthy to sit the Oval Office. This attitude on their parts has the effect of disavowing MR Trump's legitimacy and any responsibility on their parts to cooperate with his administration while at the same time and more importantly, divesting the 66 million voters whom elected Trump of their right to elect their President. McConnell and Ryan seem fine with things going that far. They seem also to suspect by their covert actions and their overt inactions, that they have virtually guaranteed that the Democrats will take back the House this fall. Such would be acceptable collateral damage by their reckoning for three reasons.

1) - In the news much has been made both historically and recently about the minority party's propensity for gaining seats in the House in off year midterm elections. Therefore Ryan and McConnell likely think they will get by with their poor record of supporting this President. But if the House is indeed lost, I sincerely doubt that will be the case.

2) - With the House thusly surrendered and in Democrat hands but with McConnell still controlling the Senate, it is thought that the Senate will be able to control the damage done at the national level, while the Dems frothing to destroy Trump start investigation after investigation and in so doing, neuter what remains of the Trump Presidency. Republican leadership all the while washing their hands Pilate style, and declaring themselves innocent. Again, expecting the people to buy it will be to my notion, sincerely unlikely.

3) - The kicker and ultimate victory then, would lie in denying Democrats the ability to continually do end-runs around the legislature, as in recent decades they have taken to running their issues of political correctness or of otherwise controversial nature up to the Supreme Court. In such manner we have become a culture and a people which have surrendered the Constitutional guarantees of the power of government held in the hands of the people, and are accustomed now, to being adjudicated into submission by the court. A Supreme Court BTW, which up until two months ago often ruled in 5-4 fashion in favor of liberals with the rather dependable swing vote of the now retired Anthony Kennedy.

Thus though McConnell might not be willing to support the people's choice for President on grounds that he's not in the Republican Elitist Club, he's not about to go so far as ceding the Court. Which of course would have far greater and long reaching ramifications. Ryan on the other hand in my view, is just groupie who got handed the Speakership for so dutifully carrying Boehner's water. His value to the House therefore, other than to underscore Boehner's legacy, ceased to exist the day of Boehner's departure.

As I have said though, the voter still hold's the power in this country. Nothing has changed since election night when MR Trump won the Presidency, fair and square. If all Republicans do their civic duty and vote this fall, the machinations outlined above will fall to the people's will, and the genius of the Framers will prevail yet again.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^^ With regard to point #2 above; Those who voted for President Trump are familiar with the guile and the tendencies attributable to the entrenched members of the establishment and the dance they do known as the Potomac two-step. That lesson learned at such a dear price by those voters however, continues to elude these establishment types, all of whom having made the choice to ignore the incredible surprise of the voters in the Rust Belt as some sort of explainable aberration. Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin. All won by Trump.

The miraculous departure that happened in the Rust Belt was not by some shenanigan perpetrated by Russia as they contend, but because the rank and file working people had had enough of being lied to and talked down to as if they were all idiots. Now that things are MUCH better as the direct result of their vote change, they are not about to reverse their own good fortunes before they even have a chance to enjoy them.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]