Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coach Phillip Ratliff- Lawrence County.
[Image: http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pi...174515.jpg]

I was told by a very reliable source that Coach Phillip Ratliff passed away today. This man helped build some of the best teams that Lawrence County ever had back in the 90's. Was probably one of the best players ever to come from Lawrence County and a starter for Marshall University. I didn't know the man personally so if anyone on here wants to add something personal go ahead. I'm sure we have some Bulldogs on here who knew and probably even played with or for him.
I had heard he was hospitalized for something heart related. He couldn't have been more than about 44 or 45. That's waaaay too young. My condolences to his family. This is terrible news.
Phil was a great coach and even better man. I played a few years for him at LC and have to say I am deeply saddened by the news.He will be deeply missed and prayers for his family.
Found this twitter post from the Charlotte Observer website posted by Charlotte Athletics:
Thanks for the thoughts and prayers for Phil and the Ratliff family. Phil remains in grave condition and we ask for your continued prayers.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Charlotte OL coach Phil Ratliff hospitalized after ‘cardiac event’

Posted by John Taylor on August 4, 2015, 5:55 PM EDT
Phil Ratliff
As Charlotte gets set to embark on its first season at the FBS level, one member of head coach Brad Lambert‘s coaching staff suffered a health event that could impact at least his short-term availability for the 49ers.

The university announced Tuesday that offensive line coach Phil Ratliff was hospitalized Monday evening after suffering what was described as a cardiac event. “The Ratliff family and the 49ers football program are thankful for the many prayers and well-wishes being sent their way by friends, family and fans,” the school wrote in its release.

“Complete details are not available at this time and we urge individuals to avoid speculation out of respect for the family,” the release added.

The 44-year-old Ratliff has been an assistant at Charlotte since 2012, one year prior to the program’s first season at the FCS level. Prior to Charlotte, he had served as a tight ends coach at Marshall, his alma mater where he was a two-time All-American lineman in his playing days.
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com...iac-event/
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
He was a great ball player. Very big, very strong, great feet and quick hands. Played along said Nate McPeek at Marshall if i am not mistaken. Horrible. Far too young.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:He was a great ball player. Very big, very strong, great feet and quick hands. Played along said Nate McPeek at Marshall if i am not mistaken. Horrible. Far too young.

I believe you're thinking of Luke Salmons. He was a former Lawrence Co. head coach who played with Nate at Marshall and is currently the head coach at Cabell Midland. Ratliff played for the Herd in the early 90's. He was an All-American and captain of the '92 1-AA National Champions.
Hard to believe. Like Scotty said, he was so young. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.
samson81 Wrote:I believe you're thinking of Luke Salmons. He was a former Lawrence Co. head coach who played with Nate at Marshall and is currently the head coach at Cabell Midland. Ratliff played for the Herd in the early 90's. He was an All-American and captain of the '92 1-AA National Champions.

Your right. I was thinking of Salmons.
Prayers for the family, the family is important to lawrence county and to lawrence county sports, Mr. Ratliff is the brother of the head women's basketball coach, the brother in law of the head baseball coach and has several other familey members currently playing sports in the lawrence county system. His parents and brother are mainstays at most lawrence county sporting events.
Slic Ric Wrote:http://www.thelevisalazer.com/news/local...ttack.html

Good info Slic, what a sad sad event and best to his family and all of
Lawrence Co, WV, and the Charlotte football program
Prayers from a 1A Williamsburg Fan, 2A Leslie County Fan, 3A Corbin Fan and 5A North Laurel Fan.
[Image: http://herdinsider.com/content/2015/08/M...Co.-HS.jpg]
I found this! I remember those jerseys! This is coach Ratliff in his playing days at Lawrence County.
I remember .. Good person