Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your County size in square miles
I'll do the 15th basketball region because it's easier than football regions (yes, I know this is the football forum).

Martin County - 229.61
Martin County has one high school.
Sheldon Clark: 3A

Johnson County - 261.95
Johnson County has two high schools.
Johnson Central: 4A
Paintsville: 1A

Magoffin County - 308.44
Magoffin County has one high school.
Magoffin County: 3A

Floyd County - 393.35
Floyd County has four high schools.
Allen Central: 1A
South Floyd: 1A
Betsy Layne: 2A
Prestonsburg: 2A

Lawrence County - 415.60
Lawrence County has one high school.
Lawrence County: 3A

Pike County - 786.83 (Pike is the largest county in the state)
Pike County has six high schools.
Pikeville: 1A
Phelps: 1A
Shelby Valley: 2A
Pike County Central: 3A
Belfry: 3A
East Ridge: 3A

Johnson County has a very small land area, but has the only 4A school in the 15th.
Pike County is the largest county in the state, but doesn't have a 4A or larger school.

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/maps/kentucky_map.html
^^^^^^^ This is the link I used for the land area info.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
The four largest counties in Kentucky are.....
Pike County: 786.83
Christian County: 717.50
Pulaski County: 658.41
Hardin County: 623.28

The two smallest counties in Kentucky are.....
Robertson County: 99.91
Gallatin County: 101.23
Pulp Fiction Wrote:I'll do the 15th basketball region because it's easier than football regions (yes, I know this is the football forum).

Martin County - 229.61
Martin County has one high school.
Sheldon Clark: 3A

Johnson County - 261.95
Johnson County has two high schools.
Johnson Central: 4A
Paintsville: 1A

Magoffin County - 308.44
Magoffin County has one high school.
Magoffin County: 3A

Floyd County - 393.35
Floyd County has four high schools.
Allen Central: 1A
South Floyd: 1A
Betsy Layne: 2A
Prestonsburg: 2A

Lawrence County - 415.60
Lawrence County has one high school.
Lawrence County: 3A

Pike County - 786.83 (Pike is the largest county in the state)
Pike County has six high schools.
Pikeville: 1A
Phelps: 1A
Shelby Valley: 2A
Pike County Central: 3A
Belfry: 3A
East Ridge: 3A

Johnson County has a very small land area, but has the only 4A school in the 15th.
Pike County is the largest county in the state, but doesn't have a 4A or larger school.

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/maps/kentucky_map.html
^^^^^^^ This is the link I used for the land area info.
Interesting site, I love looking at maps like this and comparing numbers to places/regions that I lived to where I live. For fun, I looked up the demographics of the county I live in North Carolina (Onslow Co.). I compared it to Pike Co. Pike Co. has a slightly larger land area (786.83 to 762.84). However, the population of Onslow Co is much larger (187,589 to 63,034). Despite the large population difference, Onslow Co. has only one more high school in the entire county than Pike Co.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jarons Wrote:Interesting site, I love looking at maps like this and comparing numbers to places/regions that I lived to where I live. For fun, I looked up the demographics of the county I live in North Carolina (Onslow Co.). I compared it to Pike Co. Pike Co. has a slightly larger land area (786.83 to 762.84). However, the population of Onslow Co is much larger (187,589 to 63,034). Despite the large population difference, Onslow Co. has only one more high school in the entire county than Pike Co.

You live in Onslow County?

I have some good memories there.

Spent many summers on Topsail Island including a college internship.

Have family still in the Sneads Ferry area.

Part of what skews Onslow County heavily is the Marine Base and the beaches. Lots of population base that is transient and/or without kids due to the Marine Base... also a good portion of retired families at the beach with no school age kids.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:You live in Onslow County?

I have some good memories there.

Spent many summers on Topsail Island including a college internship.

Have family still in the Sneads Ferry area.

Part of what skews Onslow County heavily is the Marine Base and the beaches. Lots of population base that is transient and/or without kids due to the Marine Base... also a good portion of retired families at the beach with no school age kids.
I do. I live about 30 minutes from Topsail, love that area. It is true that the Marine Base skews the population. I agree with you about retired families at the beach. However, here in Jacksonville area, the middle and elementary schools are bursting at the seams, and majority of the high schools are close to capacity as well. Not sure what will happen to the area if they continue to cut the military.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jarons Wrote:I do. I live about 30 minutes from Topsail, love that area. It is true that the Marine Base skews the population. I agree with you about retired families at the beach. However, here in Jacksonville area, the middle and elementary schools are bursting at the seams, and majority of the high schools are close to capacity as well. Not sure what will happen to the area if they continue to cut the military.

Go eat at the Riverview Cafe for me this week
Leslie Co. 404 square miles...
Population 11,310 (Thanks Obama)

1 High school
4 Elementary Schools
Bell Co 361 sq mi
Population is 27,885

3 High Schools (Bell co, Middlesboro, and Pineville)
8 Elementary School
Other places I have lived
Greenup Co.
344.40 Square Miles
Population 36,308
3 High Schools (Raceland, Russell, and Greenup Co.)
Madison Co.
437. 29 Square Miles
Population 87,340
3 High Schools (Madison Central, Madison Southern, and Berea)
Shelby Co.
379.64 Square Miles
Population 44,875
2 High Schools (Shelby Co. and Collins)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
From
Pike County, KY
Land Area: 786.83 Square Miles
Population: 63,034
6 High Schools

To:
Gwinnett County, GA
Land Area: 430.38 Square Miles
Population: 877,922
19 Public County High Schools
1 Alternative High School
1 Independent High School
6 Private High Schools
I Rule The World Wrote:Leslie Co. 404 square miles...
Population 11,310 (Thanks Obama)

1 High school
4 Elementary Schools

Pretty sure that was the populations 10 years ago. ( bush clean air act got all of this started looked it up ) Confusederiously:
Campbell County, KY

151 square miles
Population: 91000 (2013)

1 Public School- Campbell County HS

5 Independent Schools- Bellevue, Newport, Dayton, Highlands, Silver Grove

2 Privates- Bishop Brossart, Newport Central Catholic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campbell_County,_Kentucky
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
The link is from the 2010 census.
Clark County

255 square miles

35,613 population (as of 2010)

1 High School - GRC
Knox county 386.30 square miles

3 high schools: Knox Central, Barbourville, Lynn Camp
8 elementary schools

Pop 31883
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Living The Dream!!
Boyd County
159.86 land size
48,882 population
2 4A public schools Boyd County, Ashland High School
2 private schools Rose Hill, Holy Family
1- 1A public school Fairview
Jefferson county (Louisville Metro) 399 square miles

Total Schools/Sites: 156 (89 elementary; 23 middle; 18 high; 10 special education; 16 others)

That doesn't include private schools, just public.
McCreary County 427.7 Square Miles.
Whitley

Population: 36,000
438 Square miles.

Schools:
Whitley 5A
Corbin 3A
Williamsburg 1A

Elementary schools:
Whitley has 6 plus Central has a primary school, so really 7.
Corbin has schools for preschool, one of like 1st and 2nd, one for like 3rd and 4th and one for 5th and 6th maybe? Hell, I don't know, lets just say they own a bunch of different small properties all over town. They are all still Corbin, but different grades go to different schools. They also have there own middle school. Getting ready to move it.
Williamsburg goes K-12 all in the same school.

Laurel

Population: 60,015
434 Square Miles

Schools:
North Laurel 5A (6A numbers, plays down)
South Laurel 5A

11 Elementary School
2 Middle Schools
Lawrence Co is one of the largest counties in eastern KY with only one High school and the school is located on one side of it. Which IMO put's the sports program at a big disadvantage because there's a lot of kids that don't have the transportation to get back and forth. When I was in school I had class mates that had to ride on the bus for over 2 hours to get to school. But I think or at least hope they have better organized the bus routes so this still isn't happening but I'm not sure about it. But even with those obstacles LC still does pretty good in about all the sports considering. I just know there a lot of kids that don’t play because of this I lived way past Fallsburg and my mom hauled me and 5 other guys every day from practice and if it wasn’t for mom they would have never gotten to play. Thank the good Lord for Mothers. :worthy:
Jarons Wrote:I do. I live about 30 minutes from Topsail, love that area. It is true that the Marine Base skews the population. I agree with you about retired families at the beach. However, here in Jacksonville area, the middle and elementary schools are bursting at the seams, and majority of the high schools are close to capacity as well. Not sure what will happen to the area if they continue to cut the military.

Ah, J-actionville. Did my residency in Greenville at ECU, many fond memories of the 252 and 910. Still thinking about a beach condo on Emerald Isle...

And as for Jefferson County, KY...

Not that big.
Lots of humans.
Lots of schools.
Many of which are very, very bad at football. And academics.
492 sq. Miles

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breathit...,_Kentucky
Twitter: @tc_analytics

Dawg Family Wrote:Lawrence Co is one of the largest counties in eastern KY with only one High school and the school is located on one side of it. Which IMO put's the sports program at a big disadvantage because there's a lot of kids that don't have the transportation to get back and forth. When I was in school I had class mates that had to ride on the bus for over 2 hours to get to school. But I think or at least hope they have better organized the bus routes so this still isn't happening but I'm not sure about it. But even with those obstacles LC still does pretty good in about all the sports considering. I just know there a lot of kids that don’t play because of this I lived way past Fallsburg and my mom hauled me and 5 other guys every day from practice and if it wasn’t for mom they would have never gotten to play. Thank the good Lord for Mothers. :worthy:
I think half of the county is probably lake. I do think they need a new high school located a little more to the center to make it easier on the students.
panther nation Wrote:Knox county 386.30 square miles

3 high schools: Knox Central, Barbourville, Lynn Camp
8 elementary schools

Pop 31883

Also some of the kids that go to Corbin live in Knox Co.
Dawg Family Wrote:Lawrence Co is one of the largest counties in eastern KY with only one High school and the school is located on one side of it. Which IMO put's the sports program at a big disadvantage because there's a lot of kids that don't have the transportation to get back and forth. When I was in school I had class mates that had to ride on the bus for over 2 hours to get to school. But I think or at least hope they have better organized the bus routes so this still isn't happening but I'm not sure about it. But even with those obstacles LC still does pretty good in about all the sports considering. I just know there a lot of kids that don’t play because of this I lived way past Fallsburg and my mom hauled me and 5 other guys every day from practice and if it wasn’t for mom they would have never gotten to play. Thank the good Lord for Mothers. :worthy:

With all of that taken into consideration I wish they were allowed to use a bus for kids who want to play a sport but live that far away and have no transportation. One little bus would probably do the trick. I think it would to wanders for the sports programs.
Lawrence County might be the biggest county in the state with only one high school.
I'm sure if I'm wrong, somebody will correct me.

But LC looses a lot of kids to other schools in the area. I would argue if LC had 90-95% of the kids that live in their county that actually went to LC, they would be a 5A school.
AFAIK Lewis Co. with 496 sq. miles has just one high school which would make it larger than Lawrence.

I'm not sure if there is a small Christian school or other private school operating there.

Also just a question. For counties along the Ohio River, is the "1792 low water mark" of the Ohio River on which Ky has long asserted ownership considered county or state property and would that be included in any measurement totals?
Boyle County is 183 square miles

2 public high schools Boyle Co, Danville
1 private high school Danville Christian Academy

When there were only 4 classes of football Danville and Boyle Co. won half of the state titles of for grabs 3 different times. 2 of 4. I just don't think many realize just how special that 5 year period was coming from 183 square miles. Ok sorry for that.