Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell Football
I have been watching Devil football for a while now, and we can all agree the past 5 years for Devil football has been great.I was trying to compare the teams of the past 5 years, and in my opinion the 02-03 team was the most physical and might have had the best D outa the past few years, but i also think the competition of the 02 team was probably the hardest schedule that Russell has had the past few years. My question is which is the better Russell team '02, '05, or this years team?
Personally, I think the 2000 Russell team was the best I'd seen even though they had losses to Greenup, Boyd, Lloyd, and LexCath. Out of the years you mentioned, I'd pick the 2002 team.
Welcome to BlueGrassRivals

If you ever have any questions, problems, or comments, contact me at [email=tomcat6868@gmail.com]tomcat6868@gmail.com[/email] or via PM by clicking here [Image: http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/finalnewbanner3.png]
Russell's 2002 team had the #2 defense in the entire state amongst all classes that year.
Having won the Championship and had a son that played on the team.

I'm kind of partial to the 05 team myself.:Thumbs:
2002 to be beaten by Breathitt in the semi-final,they destroyed Corbin in the Championship...We should have been there... to lose in three OT's I think,to a missed PAT...Devils dominated first three quarters.
Aaron Beekman's older brother Josh played on the 2002 team,but Aaron has one Championship ring maybe two,cant wait till FRIDAY.
The best backfield is quite possibly the 1994 team. Matt Cross, Jeff Frasure, Matt Robinson, Mike Kazee, Drew Ramey.

What year would you say had the best O-line? Maybe 1999 with McPeek?
McPeek was great that is why he was an all-star at Marshall,but as for a pulling-gaurd Matty-T (Thompson)was he best.Gross held the back of his jersey so he could clear a path or any other back he was blocking for...SHOULD HAVE HAD A CHAMPIONSHIP THAT YEAR.:1:
Its been a good season!
1982, 1983, 1984 all went to the final 4., all won districts, all won regionals. Beat Johnson Central, Belfry, Sheldon Clark to go.. We actually got beat bythe state champs in all 3 of those seasons.......Hard to remember that far back.
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:1982, 1983, 1984 all went to the final 4., all won districts, all won regionals. Beat Johnson Central, Belfry, Sheldon Clark to go.. We actually got beat bythe state champs in all 3 of those seasons.......Hard to remember that far back.

Hey D what time you leaving in the morning?????
0630..... I left you a message just now..
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:0630..... I left you a message just now..

I got it. I just got back home.
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:1982, 1983, 1984 all went to the final 4., all won districts, all won regionals. Beat Johnson Central, Belfry, Sheldon Clark to go.. We actually got beat bythe state champs in all 3 of those seasons.......Hard to remember that far back.

I remember it. And although I hate it I have to agree with you, those teams in late 70s and the early 80s were better.

Of the teams listed I would say the 02 team was the best. Don't forget about the 04 team though. Had it not been for that little ole team down in Belfry they go unbeaten.
Belfry and Russell have kept each other from winning numerous state title's im sure
Panther#42 Wrote:Belfry and Russell have kept each other from winning numerous state title's im sure

For a very long time they kept one or the other from even making the playoffs.
2006 Aa East State Champions......
Thats Looks Good For Any One Doesnt't It.
Especially If You Have To Play A Team That Is Aaa......
East Championship Game =belfry/russell...
The 94 team had a good backfield but have to disagree as for the best backfield. I may be wrong but I am also a little partial to another backfield and that may be clouding my mind a little, but I may have to look at the stats for the two to compare as far as total yardage.
Ran into a gentleman from Huntington at Wal-Mart at 1;45 AM ,, he asked me about the game.. I told him we could have won it if ,,if,,if,,. I said we lost by 3.. he could not believe the score.. He asked when the schools merged and I enlightened him on the situation.. he said YEA i know about consolidation,,Huntington East and Huntington High....He could not believe the KHSAA allowed them to play as AA school this year......... People outside our area are watching the results also.....
Wah. Get over it already. I know you may feel better about the loss if you bash Mercer Co. but hey guess what, it is not going to change the outcome of the game. Mercer probably had little to do with the situation, so bad mouth the KHSAA if you don't like how it went down. I'm sure Belfry is not whining about Russel is this and Russell is that. Again I say WAH WAH to you.
TRAIN85 Wrote:Wah. Get over it already. I know you may feel better about the loss if you bash Mercer Co. but hey guess what, it is not going to change the outcome of the game. Mercer probably had little to do with the situation, so bad mouth the KHSAA if you don't like how it went down. I'm sure Belfry is not whining about Russel is this and Russell is that. Again I say WAH WAH to you.

I believe had we (Belfry) been in the same situation as Russell we would feel the same way..No whining, just stating the obvious. Very bad decision on the KHSAA's part. MOST fans and players from Belfry didn't whine over their loss to Russell, because we know we were outplayed last week.
BTW...I feel the game was Russell's to lose. Turnovers bite you in the butt most times, Belfry battled this problem most all season.
Congrats to Russell!! This is from one Pirate fan who definately cheered for you yesterday!!
TRAIN85 Wrote:Wah. Get over it already. I know you may feel better about the loss if you bash Mercer Co. but hey guess what, it is not going to change the outcome of the game. Mercer probably had little to do with the situation, so bad mouth the KHSAA if you don't like how it went down. I'm sure Belfry is not whining about Russel is this and Russell is that. Again I say WAH WAH to you.

We don't feel bad about the loss. Look at it this way we proved that we could play with the Mighty Titans even though we were the underdog. With the way they destroyed teams all year and the fact we only lost by 3 points. Russell's turn overs killed them. Mercer did what any good team should do and capitalized on them

As for whining I just lost all respect for you with this childish post. We are adults in here and can argue like them. But when you start the Wah wah wah comments that just degrades the thread. If you read most of the posts they are dogging the KHSAA not the players. Most of us understand that the players had nothing to do with it.
I bet you all cant wait to see how good 07 will be
Some body educate me on how the KHSAA Board mambers are choosen. Do we have any represenatives from our reigon or what?

It's not whining, just stating the obvious. "Mercer probably had little to do with the situation", What? Come on, now. Do you believe that? I don't want to start this again, I'm just supporting D because I know he's not whining. Just stating facts.

The WAH WAH is just plain disrespectful. If you don't agree with his post just say so but don't blow it off like it's nothing. It's just plain childish and immature. I know you've heard it all before about Mercer but people are not happy about it and they will speak their mind about the subject and they don't need people disregarding their posts with childish remarks.
As for the subject of this thread, I know that the 00' and 02' team were very talented. The 2004 was the most talented IMO but they ran into a Belfry team that would have competed for a championship at any class. I feel like last year's state championship team, while maybe not the most talented, was the best TEAM. No question they were not the most athletic or talented team but they were a complete team as far as having the intangables it takes to become a champion. They played as a team every single down, they knew that each player had a job to do and nobody's job was any less or any more important than the next guy. They did whatever it took to get the job done. I feel like this year's team was the exact same way considering 90% of this year's team played last year. So I think last year's team as well as this year's team was the best TEAM, not the most talented or most athletic but the best TEAM. They had all the characteristics it takes to make a team successful.
Russell returns 2889 yards of offense for next year and that aint bad....
In the State Football Chamionship program they list the "Board of Control" and where they are. 2 from Eastern Ky, one in Morehead and one in Whitelsburg. N-Eastern Ky has no representation.

I might add that the AP poll to my knowledge doesn't have any sportswriters from N-eastern Ky participating either.
You are right Mercer is a dead horse,,,,,,,,,