Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breathitt County
Who's the Head coach @ Breathitt County this year? Assts.?
Justin Combs is listed on KHSAA
I have heard Combs will not be at Breathitt this year. Can anyone confirm this?
I could be wrong. But I don't think he is even with the Breathitt School System this year. Teaching elsewhere.
No coach listed on KHSAA so it's open
From a great source says that Coach Combs was done dirty by Tim Spencer and the state manager and will not return to Breathitt County. Back ally politics as usual drives another great coach and teacher away. Same game just a different face is what I hear. Combs is teaching in Magoffin and coaching football. Wish Justin the best of luck. The kids were his first priority. Wish this program would get a coach and keep one for a while or they will never be successful. Combs had that young club looking pretty good by the end of the year. Just rookie mistakes cost them and a tough schedule. Can't wait to see the Parks kid when he is a Junior or Senior. He'll be a player.
I agree, Combs done an outstanding job his first season there. The improvements were obvious. Not a very good move in my opinion.
Bluecat Wrote:I agree, Combs done an outstanding job his first season there. The improvements were obvious. Not a very good move in my opinion.

Breathitt was a basketball school in the '60s, '70s, '80s...football school since the mid '90s. There's always been a turnover at the head coaching position in basketball ever since Fairce Woods stopped coaching.

There's been talent in baseball, but no continuity at the head coaching position. In more recent years Glenn Napier was there from 2005-2010, and he had two good asst. coaches that would have been really good head coaches in Patrick Wooton and Ryan Turner. They've had Ron Combs as an administrator in their school system for years -- I think he was on the only baseball regional championship team at Breathitt -- he led Hazard to regional championships in '94-'95. 1995 team reached the final four.

After Napier you had Cox for three years, and Combs for a season. Before him, it was John Chapman (played on the schools only baseball regional championship team in the late '70s). Jack Strong did it for a few years prior to Chapman, Burley Hudson did it for two years in the late '90s, Buford Williams before him from like '92-'96...and Glen Napier did it from like '87-'91.
he had two good asst. coaches that would have been really good head coaches in Patrick Wooton and Ryan Turner.

I think that coaching staff also had Jim Creech, recently HC @ Wolfe Co. and a guy from Ohio who was rumored to be a retired HOF baseball coach. I agree: Wooton or Turner would have been good choices for HC. School politics, I heard, unfortunately, prevented that from happening.