Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville Fans....
As I watched #24, Daniel Harmon, for Pikeville run the other night, I couldn't help but think of #25, the late Brent Coleman, when he was a sophmore back in 94. They sort of have the same build and same running style. It is hard to compare anyone to Brent, who is Pikeville's all time leading rusher and was a great friend of mine, but does anyone else see this?
I can definitely see what you are talking about. I grew up watching him and played with him my freshmen year. And while it may be hard to compare anybody to Brent Coleman, i think Harmon runs the most like Brent than any back at Pikeville since Brent graduated.
I figured you might be with me on that Train. Does he lift like Brent used to?
TRAIN85 Wrote:i can definately dee what you are talking about. i grew up watching him and played with him my freshmen year. and while it may be hard to compare anybody to brent coleman, i think harmon runs the most like brent than any back at pikeville since brent graduated.
I agree as you and Hazzbeen know Brent was 2 years younger than me and they are similar in size and build but I think Harmon might be a half-step faster that Brent was what do think?
DH may be a half step faster. But he doesnt lift like Stumpy used to. The running style is very similar. DH has mastered the spin and Brent mastered the stutter juke. Both are great backs and will go down in PHS football as nothing less.
Well I see this in alot of ways also! I don't think Harmon has that breakaway speed that Brent had YET....Brent was an UNREAL player to play against especially when you had Deramus lead blocking througha hole on the veer offense. Harmon is just a football player who thrives...Plays as hard as he can EVERY play and you can tell by watching him that he just LOVES to play the game..Hazzbeen, this is a great comparison and Daniel if you read this, you need to take this with the upmost of honors because I am not sure if you ever got to see Brent play, but the man dominated the games!
My brother and Brent graduated together and played together from kindergarten on up. So I had the honor of watching him play or playing with him every game he ever played in high school. and it was pure excitement everytime he touched the ball. And yes it is a great honor for at least 3 alumni that played with Brent to give DH comparison to him. Best of luck the rest of this year and the rest of your career.
Just keep you head on straight DH and work HARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The reason I think he reminds me so much of Brent now is his size and speed. When Brent was a sophmore I thought he was a lot faster than when he was a senior, mainly because he was a lot lighter. He absolutely dominated against every team he faced. He ran around people and juked them as a sophmore and then ran through them as a senior.
Brent was the man! He took over games. They may have the build, but Brent scored at will. I have one for you. Who was the fastest back every to play at Pikeville? Got to be JI Joplin.
DH is the best football player around right now in my opinion. But I dont think he can be compared to BC. Think about the schedule those old PHS teams use to play!!!
rainout Wrote:DH is the best football player around right now in my opinion. But I dont think he can be compared to BC. Think about the schedule those old PHS teams use to play!!!

It is just a comparison. He has a lot to accomplish before he can be mentioned in the same sentence with Brent. He has a lot to accomplish before he can be mentioned with a lot of the backs at Pikeville like Greg Hackney, Chuck Huffman, Bobby Deramus, Steve Bailey, JJ Bailey, and recently Barret Rogers and Paul Sullivan.
Faith Wrote:Brent was the man! He took over games. They may have the build, but Brent scored at will. I have one for you. Who was the fastest back every to play at Pikeville? Got to be JI Joplin.

Quickest not fastest! I would say Greg Hackney for the fastest. He was a legit 4.5. J.I. could move though, he was just so small.
DH probably has more Greg Hackney in him than Brent Coleman at this point. If he gets stronger he could become a cross between the two of them.
HazzBeen Wrote:Quickest not fastest! I would say Greg Hackney for the fastest. He was a legit 4.5. J.I. could move though, he was just so small.

For pure speed and athleticism Steve Bailey was the best at Pikeville.
I would have to rate Hackney right behind Bailey. What people do not realize that Hackney, Deramus, and Chad Thornsbury (fullback) all could run off that 87 and 88 team.
hillbilly Wrote:DH probably has more Greg Hackney in him than Brent Coleman at this point. If he gets stronger he could become a cross between the two of them.

That would be a heck of a back huh? Maybe the two best running backs in PHS history mixed into one.
hillbilly Wrote:For pure speed and athleticism Steve Bailey was the best at Pikeville.
I would have to rate Hackney right behind Bailey. What people do not realize that Hackney, Deramus, and Chad Thornsbury (fullback) all could run off that 87 and 88 team.

I agree Bailey was the best back.
HazzBeen Wrote:I agree Bailey was the best back.
Bailey? No way...good back but not even in the top 5.
fox sports Wrote:Bailey? No way...good back but not even in the top 5.

What? He was by far the most talented of all them. He played semi-pro for awhile too with the old WVU QB Major Harris. He only played 1 year for PHS so he didn't have the career that some of the other ones had. Ask HH who the most talented was and he will tell you #2 Steve Bailey. Ask him who was the toughest, and ran the hardest #34 Greg Hackney.
TRAIN85 Wrote:DH may be a half step faster. But he doesnt lift like Stumpy used to. The running style is very similar. DH has mastered the spin and Brent mastered the stutter juke. Both are great backs and will go down in PHS football as nothing less.
Dont get me wrong I wasnt taking anything away from BC at all he was the best back I ever seen and DH has still got a ways to go before he reaches that level of greatness.
HazzBeen Wrote:What? He was by far the most talented of all them. He played semi-pro for awhile too with the old WVU QB Major Harris. He only played 1 year for PHS so he didn't have the career that some of the other ones had. Ask HH who the most talented was and he will tell you #2 Steve Bailey. Ask him who was the toughest, and ran the hardest #34 Greg Hackney.
Playing semi pro means absolutely nothing with him being considered one of the best at Pikeville HS...Maybe you should ask HH some questions.
Top 5 running backs at Pikeville HS, in no particular order:
Chuck Huffman,Ray Haley, Doug Charles, Brent Coleman, Greg Hackney...
I really don't think anyone could place Bailey above any of those. IMO
BTW...Pikeville football goes back further than 1987.
HazzBeen Wrote:As I watched #24, Daniel Harmon, for Pikeville run the other night, I couldn't help but think of #25, the late Brent Coleman, when he was a sophmore back in 94. They sort of have the same build and same running style. It is hard to compare anyone to Brent, who is Pikeville's all time leading rusher and was a great friend of mine, but does anyone else see this?

No disrespect intended at all.. But I don't know what happened.. I noticed you put the "late brent coleman".. I watched him play when I was younger.. I was wondering what happened to him?
nevermind that.. I just been informed
mrfootball03 Wrote:No disrespect intended at all.. But I don't know what happened.. I noticed you put the "late brent coleman".. I watched him play when I was younger.. I was wondering what happened to him?
Brent Coleman was killed in the line of duty serving our country in Iraq in 2003.
RIP
Old Timer Wrote:Playing semi pro means absolutely nothing with him being considered one of the best at Pikeville HS...Maybe you should ask HH some questions.
Top 5 running backs at Pikeville HS, in no particular order:
Chuck Huffman,Ray Haley, Doug Charles, Brent Coleman, Greg Hackney...
I really don't think anyone could place Bailey above any of those. IMO
BTW...Pikeville football goes back further than 1987.

I get to talk to HH everyday of my life! I probably know you too old timer. Ray Haley and Doug Charles were great backs. I just never saw them, and I did mention Chuck earlier.