Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mumme to coach Belhaven
JACKSON, Miss. (AP) - Belhaven has hired former Kentucky coach Hal Mumme to lead its football program. The 61-year-old was the passing game coordinator under June Jones at Southern Methodist in 2013.

This will be Mumme's seventh head coaching job and he is widely known for his prolific passing offenses. Mumme's most high profile job was at Kentucky from 1997-2000, where he coached quarterback Tim Couch, who was the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft in 1999. Belhaven, a small private school that plays in the NAIA, finished with a 3-8 record last season. The school announced the hire on Friday.

Belhaven President Roger Parrott said in a school release that, "I am excited for our students, our players, and our alumni, because Belhaven football is going to join the 'Air-Raid' and soar."
D1 to NAIA? Must of wanted to get away from the pressure of big time D1 ball.
This is a college team? When did they start playing 8 man football on the college level?
Hal sure put a lot of excitement back into football. I think he was a major reason high school football picked up across the state.
Hal brings a lot of excitement wherever he goes. His passing game is fun to watch.
It will be great to have him coaching against some other schools in the Commonwealth. I look forward to seeing him make the trip up to Pikeville, Georgetown, and Williamsburg in the future. All three locations are relatively close for me to get to.