Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Alltime Mayfield Cardinal Team
Alright, I have been wanting to do this for a long time now. I have often set around and thought about what a team would look like if I could bring together all of the Mayfield greats that I have seen over the years. I had some time to tinker with this a little here recently and I thought this would be fun to do. So this is what I see as my all time Mayfield Cardinal team:

OT Micah Jones (d1 recruit)
OT Chris Champion(2002 state champ in football 4 time state shot put champ)
OG Jacob Price ( I don't know why he didn't end up in college)
OG Seth Clifton (it's a shame he had to watch his last game played)
C Carlos Parrot (state champ, state runner up)
QB Jake Guhy (1 state runner up, 2 state champs)
QB2 Luke Guhy (1 state runner up, 1 state champ)
RB Marcus Moss (#2 overall recruit in the nation, just behind Hershel Walker)
RB Mike Bright (Mr Football candidate)
FB Mitchell Dumas (the most overlooked state champion ever)
WR Xavier Shelton (left more jocks lying on the field than any rec I ever saw)
WR Jerome Saxton (undefeated state champ)
WR Devon Jones (state champ scoring when no one was within 10 yds)
WR Deon Jackson (2 time state champ)
TE Jacob Shelton (undefeated state champ)
alt RB Tyreese Murrell

DL Hunter Kingston (undefeated state champ, current Racer)
DL Trent Kendall (one of 2 persons I never saw a defense stop at ng)
DL Jonathan Lawson (the other 1 of 2 that I never saw stopped at ng)
DL Chris Lester (undefeated state champ)
DE LaBront Scott (If only circumstances could have been different)
DE Jared Lester (undefeated state champ)
LB Jonathan Jackson (Mr Football candidate, current Racer)
LB Jay Burgett (kid had a crazed look in his eye when on the field)
LB Brent Simpkins (the all time leading tackler between the 2 previous)
LB Blake Rust (state runner up and the strongest kid on his team)
CB Derrick Parrott (Mr Football candidate & past Racer)
CB William Higginson (undefeated state champ, current Racer)
S Adam Shelton (the kid was a beast, he played in transition years)
S Justin Tyler aka/ Turtle (undefeated state champ)
alt DE Jon Hayden and DE Kyle Downing

Kickoff Kicker Manuel Paneda
Place Kicker Ryan Ivie
Punter Evan Granier
alt Kicker Marc Wynstra

I'm sure some of you won't agree with me. Some of you can weigh in about the old glory days, which I missed. I just thought this would be fun to talk about, so let me know what you think.
who's your kick returners and coach
Back in 2003, Mayfield had a senior RB/LB/OLB, i think he went on to play d1 ball. Got alot of touches in the scrimmages we played at camp. Caught alot of balls out of the backfield and ran the ball alot. Very good LB as well. Probably 6'0" or so and probably 210/220. Very atheletic. Also had a huge DE/TE. Probably 6'3"/6'4" 250 or so that year. Can anyone elaborate?
mysonis55 Wrote:I'm sure some of you won't agree with me. Some of you can weigh in about the old glory days, which I missed. I just thought this would be fun to talk about, so let me know what you think.

What you made was a recent all Cardinal team

Prince
Jackson
Redd
Ford
Fowler
What would be fun would be an All 70s team, an all 80s team, All 90s team, All 00s team.
All 70s offense:

QB - David Fowler / Jeff Boyd
RB - Robert Mayfield / Danny Fisher / Leslie Dismukes / Gaylon Wilson / Greg Hawkins / David Fisher / Dwight Lovelace
FB - Van Pittman / Randy Jones / Robert Dycus / Jeff Jackson
WR - Joe Ford / Chris Biggers / Joey Shelton
TE - David Wyatt / Tommy Hite
OT - Keith Holder / George Taylor / Eric Berhow / Bill Hubbard / Tommy Seavers / Carl Anderson / Collins Wilson
OG - Phil Sutherland / Chris Raymond / Barry Grooms / Larry Grooms

I'm sure I'm leaving out some very good players, but, my memory isn't as good as it used to be. I can't remember the Centers back in those days and the WRs didn't catch near as many balls as they do these days, so, hard to remember who all the standouts were.
Mayfield went 96-20-2 in the 70's and Jack Morris was honored as Coach of the Decade in KY. Here was his picks

Berhow
Fisher & Fisher
Holder & Holder
Ford & Ford
Creason
Reymann
Fowler
Anderson
Hobbs
Jackson
Jones
Sutherland
Hawkins
Boyd
Shelton
Taylor
Wyatt
Sparks
Moss

2 State titles one was undefeated
1 state runner up
Longest winning streak in Mayfield History
There should be a list of top ten teams, Mayfield is one of the few programs that can do that.
Danny Kirby was one of the best athletes I have ever seen. This guy was probably in the 190-200 lb range with legit 4.4 speed. I also am partial to the linebacker in the early 90's (also played in backfield) Loveless I think. He was tenacious.
Kirby's son will be in MHS next year. He is going to be pretty special as well.
Jlow the loveless(lovelace) linebacker you are referring about is none other than Steve"Head" Lovelace, head coach of Christian County. On another note a person would more than likely have to compile a 70 80 90 and 00 team and possibly get a all time cardinal team out of them. So many people could be on these teams like Larry Jackson who I believe was a All-Sec Academic safety at Uk, Joe Prince etc. You could have all types of fun with some past teams such as a all time head hunting team, then you could add the likes of Tony Brown, Jonathon Jackson, Harry Lynn, Dwight Lovelace(Steve's father) Jay Burgett .