Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mr. Football Finalist
Kentucky 2013 Mr. Football Finalists were chosen as based on voting. None of the high schools represented has had a Mr. Football winner. Announcement will come soon, about a week.

Drew Barker - Conner Quarterback, Kentucky commit
195 completions for 2,702 yards and 34 touchdowns. Ran for 733 yards and 9 touchdowns. One of the top rated quarterbacks in the country and selected to play in US Army All-American Bowl.

Scott Daniel - Scott County Athlete, Eastern Kentucky commit
1,400 all purpose yards and 20 total touchdowns. Led Scott County to undefeated season and caught game winning touchdown in 6A state championship.

Matt Elam - John Hardin Defensive Lineman, undecided FBS recruit
86 tackles, 19 tackles for loss, 4 sacks and blocked 3 field goals. Won Paul Hornung Award, given to state's best player selected by the Louisville Quarterback Club.

Nacarius Fant - Bowling Green Wide Receiver, Western Kentucky commit
83 receptions for 1,699 yards, 24 touchdowns. Led Bowling Green to undefeated season and 3rd straight state championship. Finished top 5 all time in the state for receptions, receiving yards, and receiving touchdowns.

http://www.bgdailynews.com/sports/blogs/...c73b6.html
I think Barker will win by default but lets just say his season has been less than spectacular IMO.
If I had a vote it would be for Nacarius Fant this kid has got some skills and speed. Best hands I've seen all year.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I think Barker will win by default but lets just say his season has been less than spectacular IMO.

panther nation Wrote:If I had a vote it would be for Nacarius Fant this kid has got some skills and speed. Best hands I've seen all year.

I agree with both of you. Barker will win by default, but the most deserving candidate IMO is Nacarius Fant of Bowling Green.
Another vote for Fant... the best player...on the best team.... with a hand that is full of Championship rings.
Fant should win, but Barker will get it and that's why the best player several times in the awards history has not won it.
I would rank them in this order:
Fant, Elam, Barker, Daniel

Fant has the stats, he has the team, and he's clearly the best receiver in the state. I don't think Barker was better than Hayes, Kuntz, or Houliston this season. Elam and Daniel both suffered injuries that IMO kept them from winning this.

All that being said, Barker is going to Kentucky as one of the nation's top QB recruits. For Kentucky to say we've got an all-american, mr. football QB coming in could help in recruiting players and fans. I think Barker will win it because of that. And that's a shame to Fant and Barker.
I am going to say Fant, Daniel, Barker,Elam. I think Daniel and Fant are both great but what Daniel does in an offense that does not pass is pretty great not to mention he is a stud on both sides of the ball and a game changer in the special teams. But I like the Fant kid, real deal athlete and great receiver. Barker may win by default because he is going to UK but just like the Heisman it is supposed to got to the best player this year. I feel Barker was better last year. Elam is good but I just think the other three are better.
Joke that Kuntz wasn't in over Barker IMO.

Easily Fants at this point.

If anyone else on this list gets the award over Fant then it's strictly based on Hype and not true performance.
I saw Barker play twice He did not impress me.
Kuntz is better than Barker
Nacarius Fant has proven that he is the top player in the state. That doesn't mean that he will win it, but he should. I hope politics doesn't decide the winner.
TNT-MB1 Wrote:Joke that Kuntz wasn't in over Barker IMO.

Kuntz had better numbers: 2,461 pass yards, 31 TDs, only 1 INT, 1,050 rush yards, 15 TDs. Kuntz team had a better record and went further in the playoffs.

But Mr. Football is a popularity contest throughout the whole state. Every UK football fan knows who Drew Barker is. Kuntz fell into that group of 6A players that would've been considered if they got to state. Daniel at Scott County, Bell at Henry Clay, Walker at St.X, Bonnafon at Trinity.

I agree that Kuntz had the better season, but I understand why he wasn't a finalist.
Who is recruiting Fant?
pjdoug Wrote:Who is recruiting Fant?

Committed to WKU

I know Cincinnati, Illinois, Louisville, Kentucky, and Vanderbilt were very interested in him. I think Illinois and Cincy made offers
pjdoug Wrote:Who is recruiting Fant?

Fant was Bobby Petrino's first commitment. He wanted to stay at home and play in front of his friends and family. His stock has went up after a great senior season and could probably go to a bigger school, but he is the type of guy that would not back out of his commitment to WKU. He finished the season ranked 15th in the nation with 1599 receiving yards. He will make an immediate impact for the Hilltoppers and I'm glad I get to watch him for a few more years.
ive heard a lot about the SK Kuntz kid but weren't Highlands' Hueliston's numbers (4000 yds 50 TDs and 2 INTs) better against a tougher schedule?
adopted purple Wrote:Fant was Bobby Petrino's first commitment. He wanted to stay at home and play in front of his friends and family. His stock has went up after a great senior season and could probably go to a bigger school, but he is the type of guy that would not back out of his commitment to WKU. He finished the season ranked 15th in the nation with 1599 receiving yards. He will make an immediate impact for the Hilltoppers and I'm glad I get to watch him for a few more years.

he should put up some big numbers for WKU especially if Petrino stays.
Fant will make WKU a better team. He's a great receiver, but most people don't know how good a kickoff and punt returner he is. Western will need him with Andrews graduating. You will be hearing about this kid at the college level.
birdman44 Wrote:ive heard a lot about the SK Kuntz kid but weren't Highlands' Hueliston's numbers (4000 yds 50 TDs and 2 INTs) better against a tougher schedule?

It's more than numbers though, and not to take anything away from Houliston cause he is a great QB, but Highlands could've put any QB in there and get the same results. Highlands had 3 different QB's in the past 3 seasons and all had similar numbers.

Kuntz did what he did at Simon Kenton, and not to knock SK, but you can't just throw any QB in there and expect the same results each season
toussaints Wrote:It's more than numbers though, and not to take anything away from Houliston cause he is a great QB, but Highlands could've put any QB in there and get the same results. Highlands had 3 different QB's in the past 3 seasons and all had similar numbers.

Kuntz did what he did at Simon Kenton, and not to knock SK, but you can't just throw any QB in there and expect the same results each season

plus he did do a lot on the ground too. was he a three year starter at SK?
birdman44 Wrote:plus he did do a lot on the ground too. was he a three year starter at SK?

I think he was, and if I remember correctly, his sophomore season was ugly
toussaints Wrote:I think he was, and if I remember correctly, his sophomore season was ugly

Sophmore was bad but they basically were an entire team of Sophmores seeing major minutes. Junior was much improved. Senior was incredible, only the crowd of Independence saw that coming. I thought he'd be a strong QB but did not think he'd be on the next level like he was.
Hands down Elam is the best player in the state! He is impossible to block and dominates on every play! This kid can go to any school he wants because he is that good!