Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paducah Tilghman Coach Randy Wyatt resigns
Wonder if Perry Thomas is interested in making a return?

All you hear with every big job in EKY coming open is Dudley leaving UPike to come back to the HS ranks. PT's principal was the AD when Perry was the HC at PT.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Wonder if Perry Thomas is interested in making a return?

Doubt it, but he never did that great at PT anyways.
Shanks
We need a person that is going to get the alumni and community involved.
It is going to be a big job.The administration really needs to make a good decision not just whats easy for them.The current staff is unwilling to have a respectful conversation with anyone.That has turned many people in the community away from the program.
As much as I'd love to see Shanks, I have to believe that boat has passed.
Remember he had already retired as a DC a couple of times, so I doubt he would be interested in a HC position.
The other factor is I do not believe he would want any of the current staff.

But once again, he should be asked.
You know it can get a lot worse at Paducah Tilghman with the next coach, if he is the wrong coach.
If the assistant were all Wyatt cronies I wouldn't want them either.
PT needs a clean slate and a clean start.
Shanks was the only proficient assistant, and he was only doing part-time clean up duty.
Whoever is hired should give Shanks a call.The kids love him and believe in him.
The rest of the assistants can take a vacation none of them are helpful.
Shanks did more coaching in the time he was there than all the rest put together.
^ Ditto
mayfield_9 Wrote:Reach for the stars PT. Give Dale Mueller a call.

Hey, Dale loves to fish and there are some awesome homes on a great couple of lakes down that way.Confusedhh:
tradition Wrote:Hey, Dale loves to fish and there are some awesome homes on a great couple of lakes down that way.Confusedhh:
I could show Dale a few spots on Jonathan Creek if he is interested. Smile
If Dale is interested in Fishing, I have a couple hundred GPS spots marked on KY and Barkley lake.
Come on Down.......
We have lots of fishing.
It is going to be a trying 1-2 years for whomever comes in. If PT can break even the next two years, they will be doing well. If they do better than that, then coaching is making a difference. This team, with the talent and potential it had, was two points away from having a losing record. It could very easily have finished 6-7 instead of 8-6. And they will lose a lot.
Tica, they were 8-6 because of the problems in the locker room. It was not your typical 8-6 team. If they had the right coach, they may never have been beaten. I know, Highlands fans, I know, but I said may never have been beaten. They had a load of talent. It is a shame to see that. They will be lacking in talent compared to this year but, they will still have talent there to be used in the right manner.
Like Tica said, it will be a challenge for whoever assumes the role of HC, we graduated a TON of talent and most of our "playmakers" this year. And our schedule is a load even for a talented and well -coached team.
I just hope whoever gets it will move us forward, and the fans will be patient.
Many people who did not like the hire of Wyatt started hounding him on day one, and I have to believe that it affected the whole outlook of the program over the years.

This program needs new life and new enthusiasm to build it back to what it was.
The new coach also needs to get everyone involved in coaching on the same page -- from the Tornado league to his top level coordinators. Everyone needs to teach and coach the same thing and in much the same manner. Outbursts on both sides should not be tolerated. Discipline and treatment of players needs to be even handed. I realize there is no one size fits all when it comes to psychology and motivation, but there can be consistency. Every dispute or conflict does not need to evolve into a public spectacle and/or power struggle.

Perhaps in four years, we will be wishing for the days when Randy Wyatt was the coach. You never know. But many feel that the types of internecine problems that have dogged PT football can be corrected. Year in and year out, the athletes will be there.
So, from everything I can gather is this; winning is actually not the most important thing right now? Which is good, bc it's not the most important thing; taking care of the little things and setting up all of the aforementioned aspects are.

*developing relationships (players, parents, school staff, those in the community)
*building the feeder programs as a microcosm of the HS one.
*some type of unity
*discipline and organization within the program from top to bottom

After all, you better have all of these before anything.

I've just never been able to figure out why the animosity towards the program given the fact that they have a State Title and a couple State Semi appearances under his belt in the 6 years of being the HC. But, if all of the above intangibles were missing, I can understand why. With that said, please correct me if I'm wrong on any of my observations that I've listed above (granted, they are observations that I've gathered on here).
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:So, from everything I can gather is this; winning is actually not the most important thing right now? Which is good, bc it's not the most important thing; taking care of the little things and setting up all of the aforementioned aspects are.

*developing relationships (players, parents, school staff, those in the community)
*building the feeder programs as a microcosm of the HS one.
*some type of unity
*discipline and organization within the program from top to bottom

After all, you better have all of these before anything.

I've just never been able to figure out why the animosity towards the program given the fact that they have a State Title and a couple State Semi appearances under his belt in the 6 years of being the HC. But, if all of the above intangibles were missing, I can understand why. With that said, please correct me if I'm wrong on any of my observations that I've listed above (granted, they are observations that I've gathered on here).

One thing that has been a knock against his title is PT won it the only year that Belfry and Central were both down at the same time... and before Bell County had moved down from 4A. He has also been blessed with as just as much talent as Central, but for whatever reason it has not translated in the wins column or in State Championships.

I said it all season that when I view PT I think of a schizophrenic team. A team who one week can play with anyone in the State in any class... and the very next could stink the field up. My criticism with PT entering the playoffs was that I knew they could beat any 3A team on any given night.. but for the credit they were given all year for a tough schedule and numerous "good losses"..could they put together 4 straight wins? They proved they could not as the Mr. Hyde version of PT got crushed by Wayne County.

With all this said...there are teams throughout KY who would pay big money to have the past 7 years PT has had with a State Final and 4 years advancing to the Semi-Finals.If PT feels that he is not the man to take them the next step beyond then more power to them though... but at the same time I would be a little uneasy knowing a team who has easily been considered one of the Top 4 or 5 teams in 3A over his tenure is now having to start over.
Solid points.
Tilghman ended the year collapsing like a cheap chair. That has happened far too many times under Wyatt and that's why pressure mounted for something to be done. He had six years. He had incredible levels of talent, more than at most of the schools he played.
Increasing talk that it will be Steve Lovelace from Christian Co. Nothing official. There are comments posted on other forums that he has recently listed his house for sale. I have no way of verifying that and it could all be misdirection.
I think Russellville's John Myers would be worth a call, at the very least.
Myers and Petett should both be interviewed if they have any interest. In terms of developing what they have on hand, both do excellent jobs.