Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 37 Somerset 12
Jumpers were game early and hurt Belfry's young LB's... but then Pirates broke Somerset's spirit and put it away in the 2nd Half only allowing a single first down and basically keeping the ball the entire Half.
Hatfield 16 carries, 110 yards
Johnson 11 carries, 102 yards, TD
Carr 11 carries, 33 yards, 2TD
Fletcher 79 yards, TD

375 rushing yards for Belfry.. right around 400 Total

16 plays for 25 yards for Somerset in 2nd Half

Somerset 0 for 9 on 3rd Down
Hmmmm, believe I predicted pretty accurately for this game!!

Congratulations Pirates!
Somerset did well in the first half.
Belfry has lots of work to do this week to try to keep it close next week,maybe Taylor comes back and will help them at WR, and can use him some diffrent ways to help open up the running game..
I saw the glimmers of hope I needed for Game 1.

Belfry was getting toasted early on for the long run and then a sustained drive running the ball..they coached the green LB's up, made adjustments, and after that last scoring drive Belfry basically zeroed out the Jumper offense.

The Belfry offensive struggles in the first half was the direct result of getting themselves into long yardage on 3rd down and playing against the clock. Somerset made an adjustment on the option and between the yardage losses from that, and the futility of Belfry's passing game from dropped passes... they got away from their bread and butter and struggled to finish drives. SOmerset never was able to stop Belfry between the tackles.

Once Belfry re-established their power game in the 2nd Half...coupled with the punt that led to the safety...it was curtains. Somerset was physically exhausted and the 3 and Outs Belfry forced just dug them into a hole.

Pirates are not in HC's league right now.. but this week laid the foundation we needed to see for Belfry to build off of. People look at the close Halftime score..but the truth is Belfry actually imposed their will for all but two drives against a pretty good Somerset team.

I will take that.. go and compete against HC and have some weaknesses exposed... then keep improving day by day
Congrats Belfry!!!!!
Sounds like the wheels came off in the second half for Somerset.
E's Army Wrote:Sounds like the wheels came off in the second half for Somerset.

Couple turnovers and a safety, but Somerset showed they have a pulse unlike the terrible effort shown against Pulaski. If jumper fans will be patient this group will be nice in November.
I agree Somerset has a nice team and they will be a tough out come November. You have to remember this is the first game of the season for Belfry, with some freshman playing.. I was pleasantly surprised with what I saw tonight. I think this team will be fine and I am excited to watch them develop. I think some things get ironed out this week and Belfry looks much better next week, win or lose thats why we play the games. But Harlan Co. better not expect it to be handed to them.
How bout the play by Barnes before the half to stop a TD! WOW!
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I saw the glimmers of hope I needed for Game 1.

Belfry was getting toasted early on for the long run and then a sustained drive running the ball..they coached the green LB's up, made adjustments, and after that last scoring drive Belfry basically zeroed out the Jumper offense.

The Belfry offensive struggles in the first half was the direct result of getting themselves into long yardage on 3rd down and playing against the clock. Somerset made an adjustment on the option and between the yardage losses from that, and the futility of Belfry's passing game from dropped passes... they got away from their bread and butter and struggled to finish drives. SOmerset never was able to stop Belfry between the tackles.

Once Belfry re-established their power game in the 2nd Half...coupled with the punt that led to the safety...it was curtains. Somerset was physically exhausted and the 3 and Outs Belfry forced just dug them into a hole.

Pirates are not in HC's league right now.. but this week laid the foundation we needed to see for Belfry to build off of. People look at the close Halftime score..but the truth is Belfry actually imposed their will for all but two drives against a pretty good Somerset team.

I will take that.. go and compete against HC and have some weaknesses exposed... then keep improving day by day
You hit it right on the nose. Somerset has a good team and was beating Belfry pretty handily in the first half. They have some quick guys and that showed to hurt belfry in the beginning. As usual Belfry came out and stopped the bunnies dead in the second half. If Somerset could have kept up their game in up the second half like they did the first it could have been a different game. Now Belfry has Harlan Co. To look forward too. With some coaching and fixing mistakes this week in practice I'm looking for another good game. Especially a hardnosed SMASHMOUTH game. It's gonna be an interesting one.
Congrats Belfry..I caught some of the second half online. Belfry has a lot to build on and Its going to take a little time for this team to peak, but they do have a lot of talent. I expect this team to get better each week, and with a great schedule the Pirates should be primed for the playoffs.
what happened? last I heard this was a close game...Congrats Pirates!!
The future of Belfry football looks extremely bright.

Good game tonight, a lot of young guys got time. How about Cam Johnson? Played a great game at safety. Prayers for Jacob Francisco though, hurt his arm tonight.
Way to go Pirates!
Belfry_99 Wrote:I agree Somerset has a nice team and they will be a tough out come November. You have to remember this is the first game of the season for Belfry, with some freshman playing.. I was pleasantly surprised with what I saw tonight. I think this team will be fine and I am excited to watch them develop. I think some things get ironed out this week and Belfry looks much better next week, win or lose thats why we play the games. But Harlan Co. better not expect it to be handed to them.

Believe me, we do NOT expect that!

This will be a barn burner, smash mouth battle! I'm looking so forward to hosting the Pond Creek crew! I kinda felt badly for Clay Co last night because of the crowd that was there to support them...the faithful few. At one point in time, our announcer said to look across the field and imagine the seats filled to capacity. Then he finished with, "That's what it will look like next Friday!!" Gave me chills!Confusednicker:

So travel safely Pirates. Watch for deer, elk and bear on the roads! Welcome to Coal Miner's Memorial Stadium, home of the Black Bears!!

This will be mountain football at its' very best!!!!

Go Black Bears!!!
While it appeared that Somerset played much harder this week they just do not look good up front on either side of the ball. Belfry was young on both lines of scrimmage and except for one big play and one other drive by Somerset's offense the Pirates pretty much had their way with the Jumpers front lines. Unless those are all mental mistakes I don't think Somerset has the personnel up front to get it done. I hope I'm wrong.
Walt Longmire Wrote:While it appeared that Somerset played much harder this week they just do not look good up front on either side of the ball. Belfry was young on both lines of scrimmage and except for one big play and one other drive by Somerset's offense the Pirates pretty much had their way with the Jumpers front lines. Unless those are all mental mistakes I don't think Somerset has the personnel up front to get it done. I hope I'm wrong.

Somerset played much better up front on both sides than they did last week. Jumper fans just need to be patient, I think they'll win out, they've played the two toughest teams on their schedule. They improved tremendously front game one to game two, and once you add Lange back to the equation that will ease the load off of Doan and Chevy. This team and staff have won a lot of ball games together, don't think I'd abandon ship just yet if I were you.
Its time for Belfry to play the EMS squad.

Its black bear friday all year long.
I think Belfry may be on some serious trouble next Friday.
Coal Miner's Stadium is going to be one of those places in which teams come to have their heart stolen. Demoralizing beat downs will be a thing of the norm.
Somerset looked good in the beginning but, it's hard to withstand 48 minutes of ground and pound football!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
Congratulations, Belfry!
The punt that put Somerset inside the 5 and the safety changed the whole game. After that Somerset just could not stop the fullback and got worn down . Somerset has a good team , but its hard to win up at pond creek.Belfry is Belfry big, physical and if you don't stop the fullback you cant beat them.
I went to this one. While I saw some great young talent on the field for Belfry, I didn't see the size and physical maturity on defense to be effective against strong running teams like Harlan Co and JC.

Just based off the eye test from watching one game, I think my Pirates a step below the 11' and 12' versions.
Belfry is primed for a really good season as usual. Coach Haywood is top of the line.