Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(3) Marquette 74 (6) Butler 72
Im confused.
Does this mean Brad Stevens isnt a good x's and o's coach?
You silly ducks confuse me.

The last 30 seconds of the game was the worst play calling ive ever seen.

I guess ill take talent and a coach who cant coach but does win championships any day over a "good" x's and o's guy.....
I was at the game... Very boring to be a close game! Louisville fans had Rupp rocking tho...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
It was rocking because it was only half full. Balance was off.
I dont know that i could go to Rupp to watch a non-UK game.
Sweet 16 ?
^
Maybe.
I guess it depends on whos there.
I think i could watch a team who had a player the i know would be a star in the NBA just so i could say ive seen him play in person, but to go and watch a butler/marquette, i just couldnt do it.

I could go to root against Lville.
The real Sweet 16.
^
High school?

Of course.
Im talking strictly college basketball.

Ive been to the sweet 16 high school tourney a couple of times.
FBALL Wrote:It was rocking because it was only half full. Balance was off.

The first game (Louisville game) was way past half full.. Never seen so much red before.. My brother is a big lousiville fan so I went with him...

PS.. They started a Robert Morris chant a few times lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^
Its all good.
We started a national championship chant after we beat them last year....
Madison Central out drew Loserville.
Lol I'm not a Louisville, lol I actually can't stand Louisville fans but they had a good crowd tonight...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I would love to see Brad Stevens & Buzz Williams coaching against each other with elite teams.
I'm not a fan of either team and haven't followed them all year. BUT I really believe that the "breaks" all went to Marquette....especially in the final minutes. I mean, even the announcers! It got so blatant that I started rooting for Butler.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Im confused.
Does this mean Brad Stevens isnt a good x's and o's coach?
You silly ducks confuse me.

The last 30 seconds of the game was the worst play calling ive ever seen.

I guess ill take talent and a coach who cant coach but does win championships any day over a "good" x's and o's guy.....
Brad Stevens got into the NCAA tournament with a far less talented team than Coach Cal managed to get into the NIT and once there, he managed to win a game that he was supposed to win before narrowly missed upsetting a higher seeded team.

I am a Kentucky alumnus and fan but if a coach cannot win without having a huge edge in talent over his competition, he is not a good coach. Nothing you can say will convince anybody but a blue-blinded UK fan that Coach Cal is anywhere near the coach that Brad Stevens is.

Cal was fired after starting a season with a 3-17 record after the Nets suffered an injury to Sam Cassel. Sound familiar? Kentucky did not win a game away from the friendly confines of Rupp Arena after Noel went down with an injury. That should tell you something about Calipari's coaching skills.

There are many Tubby bashers that claim that he won a title with "Pitino's players." It is funny to see so many of those same people lauding Calipari's coaching ability, when his fortunes basically hinge on how well these his recruits' high school coaches taught them to play basketball.

I am not a Pitino fan, but Pitino knows basketball and he has always been a great teacher under whom hard working players always showed improvement at Kentucky. Calipari produces first round draft picks from first round draft picks. That is something that many, many coaches could do.

Kentucky was competitive with teams like Duke and Louisville early in the season. If Kentucky played Robert Morris again, I don't think that anybody would be shocked if the outcome was the same.

If Kentucky played a good team like Duke or Louisville, the outcome would be humiliation - and that is on the coach, not on the players. There is no excuse for this season and nothing that happens next season will excuse this season's results.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Brad Stevens got into the NCAA tournament with a far less talented team than Coach Cal managed to get into the NIT and once there, he managed to win a game that he was supposed to win before narrowly missed upsetting a higher seeded team.

I am a Kentucky alumnus and fan but if a coach cannot win without having a huge edge in talent over his competition, he is not a good coach. Nothing you can say will convince anybody but a blue-blinded UK fan that Coach Cal is anywhere near the coach that Brad Stevens is.

Cal was fired after starting a season with a 3-17 record after the Nets suffered an injury to Sam Cassel. Sound familiar? Kentucky did not win a game away from the friendly confines of Rupp Arena after Noel went down with an injury. That should tell you something about Calipari's coaching skills.

There are many Tubby bashers that claim that he won a title with "Pitino's players." It is funny to see so many of those same people lauding Calipari's coaching ability, when his fortunes basically hinge on how well these his recruits' high school coaches taught them to play basketball.

I am not a Pitino fan, but Pitino knows basketball and he has always been a great teacher under whom hard working players always showed improvement at Kentucky. Calipari produces first round draft picks from first round draft picks. That is something that many, many coaches could do.

Kentucky was competitive with teams like Duke and Louisville early in the season. If Kentucky played Robert Morris again, I don't think that anybody would be shocked if the outcome was the same.

If Kentucky played a good team like Duke or Louisville, the outcome would be humiliation - and that is on the coach, not on the players. There is no excuse for this season and nothing that happens next season will excuse this season's results.

Missed the final 30 seconds of this one then didnt you. I believe butler missed the tournament last year? Oh yea thats because there players from that runner up team left. Makes sense.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Missed the final 30 seconds of this one then didnt you. I believe butler missed the tournament last year? Oh yea thats because there players from that runner up team left. Makes sense.
No I saw the last 30 seconds of this one. I also watched all 40 minutes of the UK-Duke, UK-Louisville, and UK-Robert Morris games.

Butler improved during the course of this season more than most other teams did. Can you say the same of Coach Cal's team?

I think Calipari quit on this team early this season.

Anybody who has attended games at Hinkle Field House and Rupp Arena knows how ridiculous it is that Butler ever manages to compete with the Kentuckys and Dukes of this world. They also know how foolish it is to suggest that Calipari's coaching ability is in the same league as Stevens' or any one of several dozen other NCAA coaches.

Brad Stevens earns roughly 20 percent of what Calipari makes in a season. Who earned his salary this year?
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Brad Stevens got into the NCAA tournament with a far less talented team than Coach Cal managed to get into the NIT and once there, he managed to win a game that he was supposed to win before narrowly missed upsetting a higher seeded team.

:hilarious:

Keep going, its funny to watch.

The NBA is a totally different ball game. Cal has beenvery successful at the college level.

Tubby DID win with Petinos recruited players, what do you not understand about that? I dont care what kind of coaching job he did, that was the truth! And he couldnt do it again...

We already played Lville and Duke very close. You crack me up. We lost our best player. Any team would struggle.
Ive said all year this team sucks! Your not telling me a thing i dont know.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:No I saw the last 30 seconds of this one. I also watched all 40 minutes of the UK-Duke, UK-Louisville, and UK-Robert Morris games.

Butler improved during the course of this season more than most other teams did. Can you say the same of Coach Cal's team?

I think Calipari quit on this team early this season.

Anybody who has attended games at Hinkle Field House and Rupp Arena knows how ridiculous it is that Butler ever manages to compete with the Kentuckys and Dukes of this world. They also know how foolish it is to suggest that Calipari's coaching ability is in the same league as Stevens' or any one of several dozen other NCAA coaches.

Brad Stevens earns roughly 20 percent of what Calipari makes in a season. Who earned his salary this year?

Correct me if im wrong, but every single coach doesnt "earn" his salary except for one.
Last year, Cal did. Stevens hasnt.

I dont see the difference in losing in the second round of the ncaa or losing in the first round of the NIT. At the end of the day, the only goal is to win a national championship and both teams are losers.

Only thing is, UK will have a chance every year.
Your good x's and o's guy has to wait every few years or so to have a legitimate shot at a little run.
Dang I picked Butler. Oh well still 5th in one of my leagues and 3rd in the BGR league.
[Image:

]
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Correct me if im wrong, but every single coach doesnt "earn" his salary except for one.
Last year, Cal did. Stevens hasnt.
OK, consider yourself corrected. Stevens takes players, adds value to them through coaching, and brings positive attention to Butler through his efforts. Butler had less talent than UK had this season and won an NCAA tournament game this season. UK? An NIT bid and Calipari could not even lead his more talented team to a win over the bottom seeded team in that tournament.

You seem to be confused over what a coach's role is. It is your kind of thinking that leads to programs getting entire seasons of results vacated by the NCAA. How a team wins and how they recruit matters.

The term "one-and-done" has become synonymous with UK's basketball program. Never before has a preseason top 3 team failed to even get an at large bid to the NCAA tournament.

Nobody expects a tiny school like Butler to win, or even get invited to the NCAA tournament every season. Kentucky fans expected more, and considering how much Calipari is being paid, we deserve more in return. He did a horrible job this season and that is an undeniable fact.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:OK, consider yourself corrected. Stevens takes players, adds value to them through coaching, and brings positive attention to Butler through his efforts. Butler had less talent than UK had this season and won an NCAA tournament game this season. UK? An NIT bid and Calipari could not even lead his more talented team to a win over the bottom seeded team in that tournament.

You seem to be confused over what a coach's role is. It is your kind of thinking that leads to programs getting entire seasons of results vacated by the NCAA. How a team wins and how they recruit matters.
The term "one-and-done" has become synonymous with UK's basketball program. Never before has a preseason top 3 team failed to even get an at large bid to the NCAA tournament.

Nobody expects a tiny school like Butler to win, or even get invited to the NCAA tournament every season. Kentucky fans expected more, and considering how much Calipari is being paid, we deserve more in return. He did a horrible job this season and that is an undeniable fact.

1. We dont need to do that. Our players are usually only around for a year. It seems Stevens puts in a lot of "effort" only to come up short every year.

2. It doesnt matter. Butler is at the same place UK is right now, home. You can consider both failures. Im not really sure i would say UK had more talent either....

3. We know Cal is going to bring in the best players. I can take a bad year like this one when we consisntently win. Hell, its better than the Tubby years of where we were choking every tourney. Now, Cal has the best players coming in year after year and it keeps the fans excited, while Butler will always be a bridesmaid and never a bride.

4. I would hope every team only expects national titles! Its why you play the game, is it not? You all act like Stevens makes minimum wage, the guy is still a millionaire. I dont feel sorry for him at all. He needs to recruit better or move on.
Titles is all that matters.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:1. We dont need to do that. Our players are usually only around for a year. It seems Stevens puts in a lot of "effort" only to come up short every year.

2. It doesnt matter. Butler is at the same place UK is right now, home. You can consider both failures. Im not really sure i would say UK had more talent either....

3. We know Cal is going to bring in the best players. I can take a bad year like this one when we consisntently win. Hell, its better than the Tubby years of where we were choking every tourney. Now, Cal has the best players coming in year after year and it keeps the fans excited, while Butler will always be a bridesmaid and never a bride.

4. I would hope every team only expects national titles! Its why you play the game, is it not? You all act like Stevens makes minimum wage, the guy is still a millionaire. I dont feel sorry for him at all. He needs to recruit better or move on.
Brad Stevens is the epitome of what a coach should be. He left a good job at Eli Lilly to pursue a coaching career at Butler as an unpaid assistant and quickly worked his way up to the top spot. Stevens loves basketball and enjoys teaching young men to play the game.

No active NCAA coach had a resume equal to the one that Brad Stevens has at the same age.

So, you make all the excuses you want for Coach Cal's poor performance this season. His record this season speaks for itself. Pre-season #3, NIT flop. If he cannot win the title with 6 (or more) of the nation's top 18 freshmen on the roster next season, then you will need some new excuses.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Brad Stevens is the epitome of what a coach should be. He left a good job at Eli Lilly to pursue a coaching career at Butler as an unpaid assistant and quickly worked his way up to the top spot. Stevens loves basketball and enjoys teaching young men to play the game.

No active NCAA coach had a resume equal to the one that Brad Stevens has at the same age.

So, you make all the excuses you want for Coach Cal's poor performance this season. His record this season speaks for itself. Pre-season #3, NIT flop. If he cannot win the title with 6 (or more) of the nation's top 18 freshmen on the roster next season, then you will need some new excuses.

I was agreeing with you %100 until you got to the red, and then you lost me!
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Spud6 Wrote:I was agreeing with you %100 until you got to the red, and then you lost me!
Calipari will do fine next season. His contract allows him to rake in a big bonus if he meets certain goals and his level of effort fell off when he realized that all he would be getting was his base salary.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Brad Stevens is the epitome of what a coach should be. He left a good job at Eli Lilly to pursue a coaching career at Butler as an [B]unpaid assistant and quickly worked his way up to the top spot. [/B]Stevens loves basketball and enjoys teaching young men to play the game.

1. Why do I care? Why would anyone care about whos the epitome of a coach? I only care about wins. Thats all that matters. I promise you that Brad Stevens has always had more money in his pocket than I. I just dont understand where your going with this, your not making any points.

2. Who exactly has made excuses for Cal???? Ive set here and got my ass chewed all year from UK fans because ive said they sucked since December!
Not once have i made an excuse for Cal, but I will cheer while hes busy winning and i guarantee you didnt have a problem with his coaching last year when we cut down the nets....something Stevens will never do.

Its just to easy.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:1. Why do I care? Why would anyone care about whos the epitome of a coach? I only care about wins. Thats all that matters. I promise you that Brad Stevens has always had more money in his pocket than I. I just dont understand where your going with this, your not making any points.

2. Who exactly has made excuses for Cal???? Ive set here and got my ass chewed all year from UK fans because ive said they sucked since December!
Not once have i made an excuse for Cal, but I will cheer while hes busy winning and i guarantee you didnt have a problem with his coaching last year when we cut down the nets....something Stevens will never do.

Its just to easy.
You don't understand basketball if you believe that Brad Stevens will never cut down the nets.

As for saying this year's team sucked, well congratulations for pointing out the obvious. What you still don't understand is why it sucked. Calipari did not have the talent to win the title this season, but he had the talent to make the tournament and win a few games. The coaching sucked, not the players.
^
Confusednicker:

Okay, Okay, just let me know when Steven cuts down the nets and we'll talk....