Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legendary Ironton coach Lutz resigning
Legendary Ironton coach Lutz resigning

By DAVID E. MALLOY
The Herald-Dispatch

s_prop1 = "By_DAVID_E._MALLOY-The_Herald-Dispatch";IRONTON -- Hall of Fame football coach Bob Lutz won't be prowling the sidelines when the Ironton High School Fighting Tigers take the field this fall at Tanks Memorial Stadium.

Lutz, who has coached for 37 seasons, including the last 34 at Ironton and three at Ironton St. Joseph, said Monday he has resigned. He declined to give a reason. But he did say, "34 years is a long time."

Asked what his plans are, Lutz said, "I'm going to do nothing. My son (Bobby Lutz) has a catering business. I can help him." As for his plans on Friday nights this fall, Lutz said he hasn't gotten that far about whether he would be going to Ironton football games.

Ironton has a proud football history and thousands turn out for home football games on Friday nights.

Lutz, with a career coaching record of 341-73-5, was inducted into the Ohio High School Football Coaches Association Hall of Fame in 2003. He is 321-65-4 with the Fighting Tigers, including state championships in 1979 and 1989. His Ironton teams were also state runners-up six times, made 24 state playoff appearances and had 13 undefeated seasons.

Russell "Rusty" White, a long-time member of the Tiger Clan, a football booster organization, said he wanted what was best for Lutz. "He has taken a school that was winning one game a season and turned them into a dominant power that is in the playoffs every year," he said. "He's masterful at getting the most out of his players. He's been a father figure for a lot of those kids. If he wants to retire, I can accept it."

White, however, said he feels Lutz still has a desire to coach.

Rick McKnight, another long-time Tiger Clan member, would only say that Lutz "is a coaching legend."

John Wolfe, an Ironton attorney and a former school board member, said Lutz is "very quiet, very self-contained. Bob has been an excellent coach for 34 years. He has surrounded himself with good people.

"I assume they'll try to find the best candidate for the job," he said. "I'll still be going to the football games on Friday nights. What else is there in Ironton? We don't have a mall or a movie theater."

Dean Nance, Ironton's superintendent, said Lutz will be greatly missed.

"I think he is the best coach in the state of Ohio," Nance said. "I'm tickled to have known him over the past five years. There's no way he can be replaced. If he wants to come back, he'll be welcomed with open arms."

Ohio law requires the school district to post the coaching job as a supplemental contract for current employees first, Nance said. If no one can be found, the school can go outside to look for a new football coach.

"I hate to see it happen," said Kathy Kratzenberg, a school board member. "I would have liked to see him stay and get the record for the most (lifetime) wins by a football coach."

Robert Pleasant, a school board member, said no one has come to the school board saying Lutz was retiring.

Terry Parker, Ironton's athletic director, couldn't be reached for comment.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/apps/pbcs...90318/1002
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Good luck coach....
Big blow to the ironton dynasty it was a privelage to play against him and his team my jr and sr year. GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD OUT OF THIS WORLD COACH.