Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LCA lineman, family alert others to concussion's dangers
This was in Mike Fields High School Notebook on kentucky.com and is a pretty good read. I know many people are somewhat over-reacting to a lot of football injuries that you can get in any other sport, but still concussions are no joking matter
By Mike Fields — Herald-Leader Staff Writer

Neil Rose of Lexington Christian Academy was expected to be one of the most imposing football linemen in the city this season. Instead, the 6-foot-6, 295-pound junior hasn't played a snap because he's still recovering from a severe concussion suffered months ago.

"He's likely gone for the season," said Jamie Rose, Neil's father.

Neil Rose's experience should serve as an alert to coaches, parents and players who don't appreciate the seriousness of an injury that used to be brushed off as relatively insignificant.

Jamie Rose played high school football at Laurel County 30 years ago. "As they used to say, I got my bell rung a few times and didn't think about it." he said. "But I've learned a lot the last couple of months how serious concussions can be."

Neil suffered his injury at a UK football camp in June, but nobody realized the severity of it. He took nearly three weeks off after that, including the two-week off period for high school athletics. Jamie Rose assumed his son was ready to resume football after all that time off.

But at LCA's team camp at Eastern Kentucky University in July, Neil passed out during an early-morning workout. That's when LCA Coach Ray Graham, and Neil's father, realized something might be seriously wrong. Most notable, Neil was having constant headaches and trouble with his balance. "I'd bend down to scratch my dog and fall over," he said.

When school began, Neil's condition prevented him from doing class work.

"I'm disappointed as his dad that I didn't do a better job getting him tested back in July before I ever let him go back to playing," Jamie Rose said.

Neil's condition has improved considerably over the past month while being treated and tested at UK's Multidisciplinary Concussion Program. He was able to start driving again in early September, and he's successfully playing catch-up with his academics.

But he's still not ready for football.

Jamie Rose shared what he has learned about concussions, including:

- Headaches and balance issues aren't the only symptoms. Loss of appetite, lack of energy and trouble sleeping can also occur.

- "There's no vaccine, no surgery, no pill to fix a concussion," he said. "Doctors have to use the information they have from tests and research to say you're safe and clear to play."

- The worst thing you can do is return to action too soon after a concussion. Research shows that a high school athlete who sustains a concussion is three times more likely to have another in that same season.

Jamie Rose is sure Neil will make a full recovery, but if he never puts on a helmet and pads again, his son is fine with that. "He's a good kid, a mature kid, who understands there's more important things in life than football."