Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What put Pro Wrestling on the map???
There may already be another thread about this.... If there is, forgive me.

With that said... what Event, Era, Wrestler(s), Match, Time Frame put professional wrestling on the "map"?
I'll start out......... IMO

Event - Wrestlemania III, Cable Televison, Pay Per View/Closed Circuit
Wrestler(s)/Talent - Hulk Hogan, Andre' The Giant, Ric Flair, Vince McMahon
Time Frame - 1985-1992

Yes, pro wrestling has been around since the 1800's. And yes, I do realize pro wrestling may have been popular before all of these events and wrestlers made it to the big time, BUT IMO, pro wrestling would be an after thought if it hadn't been for the above mentioned people/events/years.
I think when Hogan slammed the Giant had to be a huge turning point in ratings.
Come on guys, not even close! The Black and White television put wrestling on the map. Prior to the little box that people put in their living rooms in the 50's, wrestling was still a carnival event. We see how the wrestling companies are so conscious of television ratings, but when Wrestling was first introduced to television, the birth of Gorgeous George became an Icon! Wrestling was such the family event, the television ratings approached 60. Granted, there was not 300 channels of choices, but the pure fact that Wrestling became the national and global industry that it is today is 100% due to the black and white television. We went from wrestling shows at the local church basement with 50 - 200 people crowding into a basement to 15,000 packing Madison Square Garden. Give credit to Wrestlemania, Hulk Hogan or Vince McMahon, but the Black and White television and the first global star of wrestling, Gorgeous George, must be given 100% credit for putting wrestling on the map per this thread title!
^ 100% correct, in my opinion. Georgeous George Wagner on what I think was called the DuMont network is what put pro wrestling on the map in terms of public popularity.
2nd to what Dusty said, is Wrestlemania 1. WM3 elevated it further but WM1 was a spectacle and brought the celebrity appeal back and/or futhered it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]