Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Baseball Jobs are open?
I am aware of Knott Central, JBS, and Eastern (Louisville Area) being open is there any more?
Forgot about Montgomery County.
Don't know how true it is but I have heard Powell County. Coach Varney is supposedly stepping down to spend more time with his family
Officially, Middlesboro has an opening. Unofficially, it will be John Smith who fills it. MHS legend with head coaching stints at Whitley County and Bell County. Chose to leave the HC jobs at both places to better prepare himself to become the next MHS HC. He left the HC position at Whitley to be closer to Middlesboro at Bell County High School. He left BCHS to be an assistant at Middlesboro.

It is my understanding that Bill Powell's son and assistant coach, Vince Powell, will not be applying because of family reasons, mainly his wife has a child on the way.

Middlesboro will be fine.
Covington Holy Cross
Powell will be open, Varney will be stepping down. Combs will be interviewing, they really want him.
Combs maybe interviewing but from what I've heard from someone that knows Combs, his kids will be staying at Montgomery County
Eastern HS in Louisville is open. Coach Morris officially resigned this week.
dkrude Wrote:Powell will be open, Varney will be stepping down. Combs will be interviewing, they really want him.
Not sure who you are or where you are getting your info, but its not right. Varney is still the coach and if he didn't coach next year, not sure there would be a teaching position for coach combs. Coach combs hasn't interviewed with poiwell or estill.
^ Now I did hear from people close to the Estill program that Combs interviewed at Estill, not sure how true it is but that's what I heard and that was before the season ended so with how Estill done in the Post Season (District Champions and Region Runner-Up) I'd say Coach Sparks Job is safe. I do know that Estill is looking for a new pitching coach, not sure who will get that spot
Varney is resigning, Powell wants Gene Combs, not his boys, Knott wants his boys and Gene was be good too. That is the difference. The words came from a person who puts lots of money into your program, PC Sports. Varney is a great coach, but really driving from Lexington, with no chance of moving closer due to his wife's job. Hey may not be truth, but makes a lot of sense.
Beechwood is open
I have
dkrude Wrote:Varney is resigning, Powell wants Gene Combs, not his boys, Knott wants his boys and Gene was be good too. That is the difference. The words came from a person who puts lots of money into your program, PC Sports. Varney is a great coach, but really driving from Lexington, with no chance of moving closer due to his wife's job. Hey may not be truth, but makes a lot of sense.

listen, have you talked to varney? I have and you need to stop saying he is resigning. He hasn't made his mind up yet and I would say he is coming back. They return a good team.
PC Sports, I don't want to agrue with you. I am a former Pirate, Most of my Family is Friends to the program, so I am just stating the information that has been passed to me. I hope Varney doesn't leave, but if he does Gene Combs would be a great replacement. One of the players on Powell is telling me that Austin Mullins from KCC is tranfering to Powell next year.
dkrude Wrote:PC Sports, I don't want to agrue with you. I am a former Pirate, Most of my Family is Friends to the program, so I am just stating the information that has been passed to me. I hope Varney doesn't leave, but if he does Gene Combs would be a great replacement. One of the players on Powell is telling me that Austin Mullins from KCC is tranfering to Powell next year.

This is Coach Shepherd. I am saying that I have talked with him and he has told me that the rumors are not true. I just don't want things out there like that until it is final. With all the teacher cuts, I don't see that there would be a teaching position for Coach Combs.
until what is final? I have heard these rumors since the region when Gene was seen at the games with the big money man from Powell. Rumors floating around that day was they really want Coach Combs and not talking about Estill. Coach Varney will be back, but Powell should be down compared to the good teams they have had last four years, it should be a rebuilding year, a team doesnt lose region player of the year and expect to pick up where they left off. Kind of funny that these rumors float around at the region and after the state tourney they start to get some legs
PC Sports Wrote:This is Coach Shepherd. I am saying that I have talked with him and he has told me that the rumors are not true. I just don't want things out there like that until it is final. With all the teacher cuts, I don't see that there would be a teaching position for Coach Combs.

Why would he need a teaching position? Coach Combs is an excellent educator, and has tenure at Montgomery County H.S. To my knowledge he did not resign from his teaching position. With the close proximity of Stanton and Mt. Sterling he could teach at Montgomery Co. while coaching baseball at Powell Co.

With the way the administration treated Coach Combs at Montgomery Co. I think this scenario would be very fitting.
anymore 14th Region Jobs coming open besides the one's that are mentioned?
I am done after this. Gene and varney are friends. Gene loves baseball and the 14th region. that is probably why he was at the region. its not hard to believe that someone from powell county would talk to gene. So there is no need to start rumors, jackrabbit. To be a head coach at powell county, you must work for powell county's school system, so teaching at mountgomery and head coach at powell won't work.
I have said who I am and I am not scared to say who I am. So, I am really close with the baseball program at powell county. I have never said that varney will not come back, but as of now he is. I just hate getting on here and reading rumors that have been made up by people who don't know what they are saying. Varney is the head coach at powell county and if he doesn't come back it is his decision. Powell county baseball will be losing the best coach they ever had and will take a step back if he does leave, no matter who they take.
I never said Gene would be at montgomery and coach at Powell that is the dumbest thing I have heard, and Gene is good friends with most people and coaches in the 14th, an the second dumbest thing I have heard is that he would be there supporting Varney, he was there for a reason, a Coach doesnt show up to the region tournament just to support a team or coach, he has been in the 10th region last couple of years and the region tournament in the 10th was hosted by Montgomery. Dont tell me big money men or politics plays a role in who gets hired and how gets fired. Remember powell's coach before Varney, he was a good coach and still is. I dont care if Coach Varney stays, goes, or if Gene coaches Knott, Powell and Estill all in the same year. I am just saying lots of people did not believe he would take over for Varney when the rumors starting, now it looks like this was something put into place before region was over.
Are you saying I am dumb? I am justin shepherd, who are you?