Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kentucky coach Calipari says Wildcats must put NBA draft on the back burner
NEW ORLEANS, LA. — The University of Kentucky men’s basketball team has as many as six players who’d be strong candidates to be selected in the next NBA draft if all the underclassmen choose to turn pro after this season. But with the postseason under way, coach John Calipari doesn’t want them distracted by such thoughts.

In attempt to be proactive and relieve stress over that impending decision, he brought in Billy Hunter, executive director of the NBA Players Association, to speak to the team Wednesday before it left Lexington for the SEC Tournament.

“To basically tell the kids: You together, collectively, have a chance to do something special. Worry about this,” Calipari said. “There’s no reason to be talking, thinking (about the NBA). Just do your thing. … There’s time to worry.”

Calipari said because the deadline to declare for the draft was moved up this year, giving players only a small window to make their decisions, he is afraid they’ll be focused on that. He’d rather they be dialed in for a run at UK’s eighth national title.

“I’m trying to take that off their plate,” he said, “which is why I did what I did.
Their going to have the decision on their mind, it's be on their mind since they first set foot on Rupp. They are going to have to put that thought in the back of their head for a couple weeks.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL