•  Previous
  • 9(current)
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Letcher Central Open
I heard they interviewed last night, there were three people interviewed from what I am hearing. Raines, Kettler and someone from Marion County if I am correct. Wonder when they will hire us a coach. We need to get Spring practice in now.
Better be fast....Already so far behind now and with a rebuilding year ahead.
Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but who is Kettler?
I bet it is Paul Raines, Jeff Robbins and Kettle who knows. IMO not a very strong pool, i thought they would have had better apps.. Randy Frazier is better than these guys. WHy was he not interviewed?
Nah, Raines aint no good. Just won the STATE CHAMPIONSHIP a few ago at Lexington Christian. Cant Coach a Lick. Whatever. U will be lucky to get him.
redstorm Wrote:I bet it is Paul Raines, Jeff Robbins and Kettle who knows. IMO not a very strong pool, i thought they would have had better apps.. Randy Frazier is better than these guys. WHy was he not interviewed?

Not a very strong pool? Seriously?

Do those guys have the resumes of Chuck Smith, Beatty, Mueller, Haywood, etc.? No, but neither does the other 99% of the coaching world.

Paul Raines has won everywhere he has been. Everybody over this way knows he did well at Hazard, then he went to Montgomery County (who had become a doormat in the early 90's) and built them up to a very strong program. If memory serves me correct, Montgomery County went to the state Semis in '95 and were region finalists in '96. When was the last time before then that they had been that far? I know they havent been that far in the playoffs since.

He did very well at Madison Central and took LCA over in the programs 2nd year of varsity, only to win a state championship with them in 6 years. Private school or not, that is unreal.

Jeff Robbins started out at Adair County, a program that has had maybe a handful of winning seasons in the schools entire history, and he had two of them in his four or so years. Then took the Marion County job in '04, who had been a bottom dweller themselves, building them up to a state semifinalist in '09. Have they fallen on hard times the past two seasons? Sure. What "county" school doesn't at times?

Sounds to to me that those two alone are a very good names for this job.
redstorm Wrote:I bet it is Paul Raines, Jeff Robbins and Kettle who knows. IMO not a very strong pool, i thought they would have had better apps.. Randy Frazier is better than these guys. WHy was he not interviewed?

Your retarded if you think Rains isnt a good coach.
He's from Williamsburg. I was hopin he'd take the Whitley job when it came open a couple years ago.
Coach Raines would be idea for Letcher Central. Past success and a great leader. Don't know that much about the other guy, but to take a team to state semis is a great accomplishment. Thinking we will know something maybe this week. Spring break starts after Friday, and I think they want one in place so spring practice can start when the students come back.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
cougarpride08 Wrote:Coach Raines would be idea for Letcher Central. Past success and a great leader. Don't know that much about the other guy, but to take a team to state semis is a great accomplishment. Thinking we will know something maybe this week. Spring break starts after Friday, and I think they want one in place so spring practice can start when the students come back.

Guys, he has coached in the state championship several times at Lex Christian and won the STATE title just a few years ago.
To me it is a no brainer. Hire coach Raines, and let's get cougarama back to what it was.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

I wish that they would get someone that would stay and get the job done what have we had 3 good years out of 7
Most importantly peeked the kids interest again. We lost so many young men in the span of three years. Whoever gets the job has got to get the kids zealous back into the game and do some major football magic to get the numbers back. Hopefully they make a decision by the end of the week.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Go cavaliers!
Let's be honest. I don't care if they dig up the carcass of Bear Bryant, bring in Bill Belichik, or go after whatever local "legend" is out there. The very first question that they ask should be about the classes that this coach is certified to teach.
Paying crazy salaries to coaches (and their wives) has bankrupted the Letcher County School system. It is absurd to pay 75-85 thousand dollars to a coach who might impact the lives of 50 students when CLASSROOM TEACHERS are being let go. If you look up irresponsible in the dictionary, you will see this scenario.
Someone said to me that "no premier football program has coach that teaches during the day." NEWSFLASH: LCC is not a premier program. Let's keep things in perspective, folks.
Cougarvision Wrote:Let's be honest. I don't care if they dig up the carcass of Bear Bryant, bring in Bill Belichik, or go after whatever local "legend" is out there. The very first question that they ask should be about the classes that this coach is certified to teach.
Paying crazy salaries to coaches (and their wives) has bankrupted the Letcher County School system. It is absurd to pay 75-85 thousand dollars to a coach who might impact the lives of 50 students when CLASSROOM TEACHERS are being let go. If you look up irresponsible in the dictionary, you will see this scenario.
Someone said to me that "no premier football program has coach that teaches during the day." NEWSFLASH: LCC is not a premier program. Let's keep things in perspective, folks.

I would be willing to guess that the 75K is their salary with Teaching/Coaching combined, like it is most places; well, places where the head coach is a certified teacher anyway.

Link:
http://www.education.ky.gov/kde/administ...f+data.htm

As far as your quote, there are a lot of truths to that. I can also name you a lot of prinicpals across the state who didnt get into administration because they loved being in the classroom; I can promise you that.

Making $75K for a teacher/football (basketball coaches, girls and boys are paid the same coaching stipend) isn't unheard of these days, especially if that teacher/coach has their Rank 1 with 20+ years of experience....all of that depends on your district, though. I have attatched an official link from the Kentucky Department of Education that lists Teaching Salary Schedules for every district across the state.

A teacher (only) in Letcher County, with 20-40 years experience on a Rank 1 certificate makes $54, 901 (so, lets call it $55K). If Whitaker and Howard made $75K total then it's because of one and/or two things.

1) The head coaching stipend is $20K
2) The head coaching Stipend is somewhere in the neighborhood of $8-$15K + an X amount of extended days (either for their clasroom job and/or coaching job).

Football coaches obviously get all the critcism in these cases, but I know of places across the state where the Speech/Debate Coaches get paid the same amount of money as the head football, basketball coaches. Guess how much money Speech brings into the school? Zero. Know why people don't bring up those "Spoiled Speech Coaches", because nobody gives a flip.

If you think that money is too much, go look at any school across the state that has Ag departments and check into their payscales. I know one for sure that has two Ag teachers, both whom have Rank 1 degrees with 15-20 years experience and they get 54 extended days...in a nutshell, they make more than 2/3 of the administrators in that district.

And I have news for you, there are just as many Betty Jo English teachers that don't coach a thing, who are far worse teachers than any coaches I have ever met. What's wrong with hiring their wives in the district if they are teachers, also?
Here is the issue: LCC coaches get paid a teacher's salary but have no teaching responibilities. No scheduled classes at all. How can you be paid a teacher's salary and not teach?

So, we are left with one of the following situations:
A.) 25% extended contract on $0.00 is $0.00. Hey, I'm OK with that.
B.) 25% extended contract on what he would make had he actually performed teaching duties. $10-15K for the work that he actually does. That's OK also.

Unfortunately, it's hard to put the toothpaste back in the tube and we have been doing this so long, coaches expect this treatment. So we will continue paying big money to guys who fill their day with Dairy Queen, Sports-R-Us, and the Pine
Mountain Grill.
A press conference has been announced for tomOrrow (Friday April 6th) to announce the new head football coach.
Wonder who it is ?:Cheerlead
soccerlover Wrote:Wonder who it is ?:Cheerlead

I heard Paul Rains has told his players that he is leaving to take the program at Letcher Central. I have not confirmed it yetr.
The press conference will be at 1 pm per WYMT twitter page.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Well if it is Rains I guess I will be a Jenkins Cavalier fan from here on out. They f----- us again. Lets just turn that field into a soccer field. What you say ANNA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
surgeon Wrote:Well if it is Rains I guess I will be a Jenkins Cavalier fan from here on out. They f----- us again. Lets just turn that field into a soccer field. What you say ANNA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome Coach Raines to your new happy family.
surgeon Wrote:Well if it is Rains I guess I will be a Jenkins Cavalier fan from here on out. They f----- us again. Lets just turn that field into a soccer field. What you say ANNA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome Coach Raines to your new happy family.
I just hope that this is long term and not just one or two years. It will take about three to four years to get us back to what we was. Congrats Coach Raines and welcome to Cougarama.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Thanks for the update on Facebook CP
No prob.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are: