Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you rather attend the 15th at the Expo or a high school gym?
I would rather play in tightly packed gym, where you can feel the sweat run off of you before the game ever starts.
I see your point fox
and I agree about it being tax payers money.
but I am just curious as to how much money was brought in not just what was promised to schools.
[quote author=Doc Holliday link=topic=20473.msg212927#msg212927 date=1142624737]
I see your point fox
and I agree about it being tax payers money.
but I am just curious as to how much money was brought in not just what was promised to schools.
[/quote]
I don't think it's been released yet but from what I have heard about Paid attendance numbers, it should be really good.
sounds good I know it helps any town when they host a tourney so the resturants got lots of business as well.
There was over 22,000 fans there over 8 days. 
Downtown Pikeville's economy will recieve a boost from all of the events held there for sure and that's great...for the city of Pikeville but I would MUCH rather have it at a gym.
[quote author=thetribe link=topic=20473.msg213603#msg213603 date=1142733253]
Downtown Pikeville's economy will recieve a boost from all of the events held there for sure and that's great...for the city of Pikeville but I would MUCH rather have it at a gym.
[/quote]
It's better for the schools also.
The athletic programs at the schools(all athletic programs) benefit financially from the regional tourney shares...and the more people that attend, the bigger the per school share.
More people=more money=better all around athletic programs
Maybe so but the host school should reep the benefit of the tournament because it will eventually be held at all of the schools. They can get their cut when they host. That simple.
I'm going to say the expo, Maybe with the playing there they can be used to the added 10 ft, and with the depth from the backboard, with all this being said maybe in a few years a 15th region team can bring home another State Championship.
Here is a article that was in todays News Express that was about having the tourney at the Expo Center.

Expo perfect home for regional

THE VIEW FROM HERE

Jerry Boggs

There's no way the 15th Region Tournament should ever be held anywhere but the Eastern Kentucky Exposition Center.

Last week (and part of this week), the regional tourney took on an air that simply would not have been possible had the tournament been hosted by any of the eight schools that meet the self-imposed guidelines for being a host site.

Put yourself in the shoes of a 14-year-old high school sophomore making a first-ever trip to the regional tournament. Maybe your team isn't expected to advance beyond the opening round. Maybe you are fully aware that just getting to the regional is a major success for you and your team.

How much more special does it make that moment when you run out onto the floor in front of a throng of screaming fans to do so on a stage like that presented by the Expo Center? No disrespect to any of the local high schools, but the seasons biggest games should be played on the biggest stage.

That's why the State Sweet 16 is held every year at Rupp Arena.

Sure, money plays a big role in holding the state tourney at Rupp. The KHSAA rakes in a stunning amount money for late-tournament matchups when 20,000 or so basketball-crazy Kentuckians pack the place.

But from the standpoint of the players, coaches, managers, cheerleaders and parents, the environment presented by bringing 16 of the best teams in the state to one wonderful arena is what makes the experience unforgettable.

That's what placing the regional at the Exposition Center does for 15th Region Tournament. It turns a simple, eight-team, single-elimination tourney into a celebration of what is wonderful and beautiful about basketball.

OK, now that I've got the flowery March-Madness induced soliloquies about basketball over with, we can look at the brass tacks of having the regional at the Expo Center.

The bottom line is, every school in the region benefits, both financially and practically from not having to act as a host school.

In a conversation with Johnson Central athletic director Harry Burchett, I floated the thought that some schools might resist the idea of placing the tournament at a neutral site because the host schools do make a nice profit from their host fee, 15 percent of the overall tournament revenue.

But Burchett confided that the stress and added work load hosting a regional tourney puts on a school staff is not worth the money.

Having spent a lot of time at the last six 13th Region Tournaments, hosted by an array of schools including Cawood, Middlesboro, Bell County, Whitley County and Knox Central, I have seen just how exhausted the teachers and administrators are at the end of the tournament.

“Frankly, there's not a lot of learning done that week,” said Burchett.

That's reason enough to keep the regional tourney at the Expo Center.

Under the current agreement, each school in the region is guaranteed a sum of money exceeding the shares they received on average over the last four years.

After the guaranteed money, the Expo Center covered its costs, which included support staff, security, clean-up, ticket sales, ushers and vendors, and met its revenue expectations.

After meeting its expectations, the Expo Center and the schools split the gravy which remains in the profit pool. The winning school received a $1,000 check from title sponsor Community Trust Bank to cover expenses to travel to the state tournament. In the end, each school in the 15th Region will have more money coming back into its coffers than ever before due to the tournament being played at the Expo Center.

For the week, approximately 20,000 people paid to attend the games. They were treated to comebacks, blowouts, buzzer beaters and big plays.

The best dramas deserve to be played out on the best stage.
[quote author=thetribe link=topic=20473.msg213615#msg213615 date=1142735276]
Maybe so but the host school should reep the benefit of the tournament because it will eventually be held at all of the schools. They can get their cut when they host. That simple.
[/quote]
The "host school" gets a larger share for management at the EXPo as well...it's 15% of net revenues.  That simple.
I attended a concert at the EXPO a few weeks ago and I dont think that there is a bad seat in the house....BUT...I think all regional tournaments should be held in a highschool gym...Its all about walking into an overly CROWDED gym, having to stand up the entire game and screaming until you lose your voice for your team and then going out into the parking lot getting into your car and having to fight traffic for 30 minutes to get on the road...It all seems like a hassle but to me that is what highschool tourny time is all about!!!
Love the high school gyms atmosphere but i think it will give the teams some exposure to playing in a big venue so when they get to Rupp or Diddle they maybe wont be so much in awe
I loved the way they done the regional tournament this year...good luck next year PC
got to go with the high school gym. theres no better atmosphere
Just from what I have seen posted, if the floor issue is resolved, then the Expo center. If not, then a HS gym.:blondnurs
I think it is a good experience for the kids to get to play in a bigger gym, like the expo center.
The Expo Center was not a very "FAN" friendly place. There were complaints of a lot of dead spots on the floor by the players. Parking was horrendous. I say take it back to the "GYMNASIUMS" :Thumbs: