Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The United Methodist Church confirms their stand against homosexuality
Quote:November 10, 2011

Dear United Methodist Sisters and Brothers in Christ:

Grace and peace to you from Jesus Christ who calls us to faithfulness during a time of great and unsettling change around the world that God loves so deeply and also within the Body of Christ where Jesus is both head and redeemer.

We give thanks for each one of you as you seek to be faithful witnesses and fruitful disciples wherever God has called you to live and share the grace that offers salvation to the world. Your faithfulness brings encouragement, inspiration and hope to us and to all who live in the influence of your witness.

In a time when the world seems to be torn apart with division, inequality, injustice, hatred and violence, as Christians we bear responsibility to give witness to "a more excellent way" (1Corinthians 12:31). The church is not exempt from struggles. We are not the first to experience upheaval in culture and church and we are not the first to have serious and deep disagreements about issues of great importance.

One of the deep disagreements and divisions within the church is over the practice of homosexuality, recently heightened by a group of clergy who have declared that they will perform holy unions in opposition to the Book of Discipline. This has caused different experiences of deep pain throughout the church. As the bishops of the church, we commit ourselves to be in prayer for the whole church and for the brokenness our communities experience. Furthermore, we "implore families and churches not to reject or condemn lesbian and gay members and friends. We commit ourselves to be in ministry for and with all persons" (par. 161F). We will continue to offer grace upon grace to all in the name of Christ.

At times like these we call upon each other to remember and renew our covenant with God and with one another as United Methodist Christians. As bishops chosen, consecrated and assigned by the Church, we declare once again our commitment to be faithful to this covenant we have made. As the Council of Bishops we will uphold the Book of Discipline as established by General Conference.

Even in the midst of our differences, we believe that we can together be about our mission to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world. We invite all United Methodists, lay and clergy, to join us in strengthening our congregations unto greater vitality for the sake of our mission.

To that end, may we continue to live together in the spirit of Philippians 2:1-5:

Therefore, if there is any encouragement in Christ, any comfort in love, any sharing in the Spirit, any sympathy, complete my joy by thinking the same way, having the same love, being united and agreeing with each other. Don’t do anything for selfish purposes but with humility think of others as better than yourselves. Instead of each person watching out for their own good, watch out for what is better for others. Adopt the attitude that was in Christ Jesus. (Phil. 2:1-5).

Your brothers and sisters in Christ,

The Council of Bishops of The United Methodist Church

Their letter written above is in response to several pastors and church members coming out in support of homosexual practices, and even the ordination of practicing homosexuals. The UMC leaders revert back to the agreed upon denominational rules, stated below.

The Book of Discipline Wrote:¶161G) Human Sexuality – We recognize that sexuality is God’s good gift to all persons. We believe persons may be fully human only when that gift is acknowledged and affirmed by themselves, the church, and society. We call all persons to the disciplined, responsible fulfillment of themselves, others, and society in the stewardship of this gift. We also recognize our limited understanding of this complex gift and encourage the medical, theological, and social science disciplines to combine in a determined effort to understand human sexuality for completely. We call the Church to take the leadership role in bringing together these disciplines to address this most complex issue. Further, within the context of our understanding of this gift of God, we recognize that God challenges us to find responsible, committed, and loving forms of expression…Homosexual persons no less that heterosexual persons are individuals of sacred worth, All persons need the ministry and guidance of the church in their struggles for human fulfillment, as well as the spiritual and emotional care of a fellowship that enables reconciling relationships with God, with others, and with self. The United Methodist Church does not condone the practice of homosexuality and consider this practice incompatible with Christian teaching. We affirm that God’s grace is available to all, and we will seek to live together in Christian community. We implore families and churches not to reject or condemn lesbian and gay members and friends. We commit ourselves to be in ministry for and with all persons.

¶341.6 Ceremonies that celebrate homosexual unions shall not be conducted by our ministers and shall not be conducted in our churches.

¶304.3 While persons set apart by the Church for ordained ministry are subject to all the frailties of the human condition and the pressures of society, they are required to maintain the highest standards of holy living in the world. The practice of homosexuality is incompatible with Christian teaching. Therefore self-avowed practicing homosexuals are not to be certified as candidates, ordained as ministers, or appointed to serve in The United Methodist Church.

¶2702.1 A bishop, clergy member of an annual conference (¶368), local pastor, clergy on honorable or administrative location, or diaconal minister may be tried when charged (subject to the statute of limitations in ¶2702.4) with one or more of the following offenses: (a) immorality including but not limited to, not being celibate in singleness or not faithful in a heterosexual marriage; (b) practices declared by The United Methodist Church to be incompatible with Christian teachings, including but not limited to: being a self-avowed practicing homosexual; or conducting ceremonies which celebrate homosexual unions; or performing same-sex wedding ceremonies; © crime; (d) failure to perform the work of the ministry; (e) disobedience to the Order and Discipline of The United Methodist Church; (f) dissemination of doctrines contrary to the established standards of doctrine of The United Methodist Church; (g) relationships and/or behavior that undermines the ministry of another pastor; (h) child abuse; (i) sexual abuse; (j) sexual misconduct or (k) harassment, including, but not limited to racial and/or sexual harassment; or (l) racial or gender discrimination.

¶162H) Equal Rights Regardless of Sexual Orientation – Certain basic human rights and civil liberties are due all persons. We are committed to supporting those rights and liberties for homosexual persons. We see a clear issue of simple justice in protecting their rightful claims where they have shared material resources, pensions, guardian relationships, mutual powers of attorney, and other such lawful claims typically attendant to contractual relationships that involve shared contributions, responsibilities, and liabilities, and equal protection before the law. Moreover, we support efforts to stop violence and other forms of coercion against gays and lesbians. We also commit ourselves to social witness against the coercion and marginalization of former homosexuals.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I post all of that here just for the BGR world to know that while so many churches are softening their stances, the UMC is holding strong.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I thought a few years ago the UMC started allowing gay pastors? I guess they didn't.
I have a gay friend that was discharged from the Army...I give him all kinds of shit but he's a great dude. He's Methodist, goes every Sunday. Does live in California though..

He also has some of the most beautiful Filipina friends I've ever seen...helps me out alot.
vundy33 Wrote:I have a gay friend that was discharged from the Army...I give him all kinds of shit but he's a great dude. He's Methodist, goes every Sunday. Does live in California though..

He also has some of the most beautiful Filipina friends I've ever seen...helps me out alot.

I believe the stance is they love the homosexual but would not ordain him as a pastor or deacon. My wife's uncle is gay as well. I really like him, but my wife knows where I stand, I think she stands the same, just not as firmly. Side-note, my wife's uncle lives in California as well.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LWC Wrote:I believe the stance is they love the homosexual but would not ordain him as a pastor or deacon. My wife's uncle is gay as well. I really like him, but my wife knows where I stand, I think she stands the same, just not as firmly. Side-note, my wife's uncle lives in California as well.

Yeah, I agree, if they follow what they say they do, then it makes perfect sense to not ordain a homosexual, and my buddy is fine with that.

He lives in San Fransisco...the city isn't near as gay as I thought it'd be, lol. Fox News makes it sound like the root of all evil, hahaha. Got my first look at a HUGE Occupy protest though. No wonder the cops had to gas them...they're spitting on them and throwing crap at them. Jeez..
^Her uncle lives in San Jose. Not too far, I hear it is B-E-A-UTIFUL down there with all the orchards and things. If I go on an extended vacation ever, that is probably where I will have to go.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
That area is beautiful, especially the suburban and rural communities. The positives of California far outweigh the negatives. If you ever go out there, try to spend a weekend in Northern Cali, like Big Bear, CA. If you like a beautiful area, crazy amount of wildlife, and nice people, you'll love it. One of my favorite places on earth. If I could name the place where I felt closest to God, besides Mass, it'd for sure be the woods and parks around Big Bear.