Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlands @ Cov Cath
NCC41 Wrote:I'm not expecting a close game at all.

Boone beats Male by 14
Louisville Western beats Male by 15
Covington Catholic beats Boone by 8
Highlands/Western score at the half was 49-0.

It would be nice if the game were going to be close, but the reality is that it won't be.

Good points. And don't forget cov cath gave up 35 points to Dixie and HHS only gave up 13 ( I believe one score was on 2nd string). Highlands will not shut out Cov Cath, but Highlands will put up some big offensive numbers that CCH will not be able to match.

HHS 48
CCH 21
kypecos Wrote:CovCath is better than last year. But I think that HHS might be too. Could be a closer game than some expect.

Not from what I've seen. Yeah, CovCath may have been sandbagging it to this point of the season, but that just doesn't seem to be their style. :pondering: I think Highlands is up in this one by three or four touchdowns by the time the clock runs out. I also think that the starters play almost the whole game, but that the air attack eventually becomes a clock-eating, grind it up, ground chewing showcase for True, Harris, and Seidl.:trolldad2:
Can you dig it? Wrote:Not from what I've seen. Yeah, CovCath may have been sandbagging it to this point of the season, but that just doesn't seem to be their style. :pondering: I think Highlands is up in this one by three or four touchdowns by the time the clock runs out. I also think that the starters play almost the whole game, but that the air attack eventually becomes a clock-eating, grind it up, ground chewing showcase for True, Harris, and Seidl.:trolldad2:

I like how you mention Seidl. Few weeks ago, his name wouldn't have been mentioned. I'd like to see him get the ball more.
^ Seidle ( I though it was Seidel) really impressed me in the Dixie game. That kid is fun to watch.
Interesting that you compare teams by how the outcome scores of other games turn out. It definitely is an easy way to look at it, but that's just like picking up a book, reading the summary on the back, then putting it back down. This game will be all about match ups and who can find the weak spots of each team. Great coaching staffs by both programs. This game will be compared to reading the entire book rather than just the summary. I know corny analogy, but its true!:moon::rockon:

As of now I expect Highlands to pull it out, but Cov Cath's defense seems to be improving as the season progresses. Remember, Cov Cath's D was much worse last year and held Highlands to 1 TD in the second half.
Stardust Wrote:^ Seidle ( I though it was Seidel) really impressed me in the Dixie game. That kid is fun to watch.

Understandable mistake. It's spelled Seidl but pronounced Si del.

He missed the first couple of games with an injury which is why folks didn't hear his name much earlier in the year. He's a tough little nut. His height (or more appropriately, lack thereof) makes him hard to spot behind the linemen and his quickness and elusiveness is different than True's and Harris' running style. Some defensive players have a hard time adjusting to the different running style and thus take bad angles and use a tackling style that doesn't work well on him. Kid is a gamer for sure.
nkyfootball81 Wrote:Interesting that you compare teams by how the outcome scores of other games turn out. It definitely is an easy way to look at it, but that's just like picking up a book, reading the summary on the back, then putting it back down. This game will be all about match ups and who can find the weak spots of each team. Great coaching staffs by both programs. This game will be compared to reading the entire book rather than just the summary. I know corny analogy, but its true!:moon::rockon:

As of now I expect Highlands to pull it out, but Cov Cath's defense seems to be improving as the season progresses. Remember, Cov Cath's D was much worse last year and held Highlands to 1 TD in the second half.

I actually agree to a point. It's similar to handicapping a horse race in that you evaluate the horse based on the company they've run against. Certainly the racing form has a lot more information, but comparing other teams and their results is really the only way most of us on here can do it. I personally look at all the numbers available to me and not just scores and try watch film when I have it available. But you do bring up a good point. I’ve seen both Covington Catholic and Highlands play live this year on more than one occasion and Highlands will flat roll in this one.:Thumbs:
^ Good post and very accurate in describing handicapping
Of all the teams in NKY, Cov Cath seems to have Highlands number when it comes to close games. Call it a "thorn in the bluebirds side".
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:Of all the teams in NKY, Cov Cath seems to have Highlands number when it comes to close games. Call it a "thorn in the bluebirds side".

indeed. intense rivalries do somehow level the play field. Although highlands has been in charge since covcath's 07 sweep I feel like an upset is hiding in the woodpile. The chances may be better next year for the colonels to pull it out though.

Highlands knows that the colonels can do some things and will be ready for the game. The colonels wont be able to stop the pass and towels running. That will be difference in the game.
they're calling for rain saturday. even though the game is on fieldturf, could a slick ball make a big difference in this game?
toussaints Wrote:they're calling for rain saturday. even though the game is on fieldturf, could a slick ball make a big difference in this game?

Not really. I would suspect that it may cut down on the # of possessions by Highlands, leading to 1 or 2 fewer scoring chances.

If CCH drops 8 in coverage like they did vs. Beechwood at times, Seidl, True, and Harris (and Towles) could each run for 100 yards.
birdman44 Wrote:indeed. intense rivalries do somehow level the play field. Although highlands has been in charge since covcath's 07 sweep I feel like an upset is hiding in the woodpile. The chances may be better next year for the colonels to pull it out though.

Highlands knows that the colonels can do some things and will be ready for the game. The colonels wont be able to stop the pass and towels running. That will be difference in the game.

Time flies, but the covcath sweep was in 06. Highlands has won the state title in 2007,08,09,10. Highlands has pretty much owned the series since 1995. Covcath upset them in the 97 playoffs beating a vastly superior team. In 2001 they split, but both teams were bad. Other than that, 06 was the only bright moment for Covcath.
Wideleft01 Wrote:Time flies, but the covcath sweep was in 06. Highlands has won the state title in 2007,08,09,10. Highlands has pretty much owned the series since 1995. Covcath upset them in the 97 playoffs beating a vastly superior team. In 2001 they split, but both teams were bad. Other than that, 06 was the only bright moment for Covcath.

I was probably thinkn of the kids that graduated in 07, that played in 06. always mixes me up. i think there will be other bright spots in the future for the colonels, but not this year.

The field conditions will never change the game like the 'mud bowl' did 97. fieldturf is the birds best friend.
toussaints Wrote:they're calling for rain saturday. even though the game is on fieldturf, could a slick ball make a big difference in this game?

Rain will bode well for the Colonels. History tells us this.
Rain ,sleet or snow it will not change the out come Birds big just saying
mrb5150 Wrote:Rain ,sleet or snow it will not change the out come Birds big just saying

The outcome yes, but don't look for a high scoring affair if it's pouring. That can't help but hinder the quick strike pass offense. A ground attack will open up the opp for turnovers as well. Thank goodness it's on turf for the Bluebirds. They don't do well against the colonels in the mud.
Who plays in mud anymore lol
I just can't see this game being close even with the rain Pat. could rush for 200 yards himself . I look for the short pass a lot more this week if it's raining.
Field turf surprises me in that it isn't as slippery as one would think when it's wet.
Highlands by 14
The latest weather forcast is saying it's gonna be nice.
NCC41 Wrote:The latest weather forcast is saying it's gonna be nice.

yeah the rain they were calling for saturday arrived this morning
^ So, no excuses for CCH Wink
Stardust Wrote:^ So, no excuses for CCH Wink

And what about the Birds?
^ Birds won't have any excuses either for their 5 TD win.
there's always the ref card to use
Stardust Wrote:^ Birds won't have any excuses either for their 5 TD win.

You pot stirrer. Do u do this for your own entertainment?:biglmao:
^ hehehe, boy is that the Pot Calling the Kettle Black......

Brother's in crime Smile