Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harlan County Black Bears Schedule
I drove out by the school early this morning and saw where they have been moving dirt at the football field....exciting!!!!!
Future site for Coal Miner's Memorial Stadium.

[Image: http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e213/k...field1.jpg]

Work beginning!!

[Image: http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e213/k...begins.jpg]
Exciting times in Harlan County!!!!!
That sure is a beautiful spot Mama Bear. The field will be "nestled in the mountains". Looks like tradition already.
Dragonsdad Wrote:That sure is a beautiful spot Mama Bear. The field will be "nestled in the mountains". Looks like tradition already.

I can't imagine a more beautiful spot to be on a Fall evening surrounded by the Pine Mountain and Black Mountain, the sound of the cleats coming across the bridge that crosses the Poor Fork Branch of the Cumberland River....

I don't know if it's possible for them to get it ready for this season, but we can hope. This year's seniors will be the first group that has went all four years to Harlan County High School since the consolidation. It will be a special place when all is complete.
I agree Mama Bear. Something for all Harlan Countians to be proud of.
I hear whispers of a game there this year, but the weather has to cooperate!
Smile
I hear there the stadium is going to have a state-of-the-art press box, a field house to die for, and that every 5 yards there is a fire hydrant with a high powered hose Wink
How did you know Zaga, but the hydrant's will be gold plated.
eightball Wrote:how did you know zaga, but the hydrant's will be gold plated.

l-o-l
How many starters are back?
I think their is 7 offensive starters back but you could say 9 since 2 was starters that return from injuries and on the defensive side you have 9 back and the 2 that was out with injuries. The sky is the limit for this team if they work hard and have some leadership step up and replace the seniors from last year that will not just be missed on the field but off.
That is one beautiful site for a football field. Would love for you to keep posting pics of the progress.
Can't believe Zaga is assuming that PCC beats Harlan already..
How'd that go for you last year Zaga?
When do the Black Bear Big Uglies go to the lineman camp?
Mama Bear I mention to ask tourist is the schools actual fight song? I didn't think it was Harlan Alive, but I wasn't for sure.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
Yogibear Wrote:I did not say Gate City was weak, only the division. Gate City is very well respected over here. They could compete with most teams in EKY, but who did they really have to beat in the playoffs that could play before Gretna? Max preps rankings mean nothing. I can promise you that there are not 4 teams in VA A that could beat Louisville Central. There are probably only 8 to 10 schools in the entire state of KY who could beat them, just happens that they play 4 or 5 of them every year. They are no joke. Central would not rate well on a scale like MaxPreps because they play the toughest schedule around for a school their size so they lose around half their reg season games.

Seriously? That's the best you could do?? The old "but who did they play/beat" line??? Doesn't matter who ... they beat the best in their area in their grouping, just like ALL the other playoff teams, va. AND ky., did. But, just so I don't come off as avoiding the question, they beat Radford in the state semis. The Bobcats had 3 losses coming in... 2 of those were to state finalists..

Ill be honest, I know nothing about Max's ranking system, but I DID notice that 4-loss Radford, with 3 losses to state finalists, finished ranked higher than other semi-finalists with better records, so that basically blows that theory away.

But I'm used to KY ppl. saying their fb teams are better than VA teams, so no biggie.
VHSL-helper Wrote:Seriously? That's the best you could do?? The old "but who did they play/beat" line??? Doesn't matter who ... they beat the best in their area in their grouping, just like ALL the other playoff teams, va. AND ky., did. But, just so I don't come off as avoiding the question, they beat Radford in the state semis. The Bobcats had 3 losses coming in... 2 of those were to state finalists..

Ill be honest, I know nothing about Max's ranking system, but I DID notice that 4-loss Radford, with 3 losses to state finalists, finished ranked higher than other semi-finalists with better records, so that basically blows that theory away.

But I'm used to KY ppl. saying their fb teams are better than VA teams, so no biggie.

OK Buddy
Im proud of the football team but seriously they need to finish the baseball field first IMO...Not ragging on the football team but the baseball team will bring state home first. Alot of young talent for all sports in general, maybe one for every sport if they all work hard.
I doubt the baseball team will win a state title before the football team. The football team will be favored to reach the state championship game at least each of the next three seasons, while making it out of the region will be a good acomplishment in baseball. Also, there is only one baseball champion, while there are six in football, making it easier to win a title in football.
zaga_fan Wrote:l-o-l

My old friend zaga...don,t get me started.TongueirateSho:CheerleadTongueirateSho j/k long time no see how you been?bears go 10-0 jv plays entire 2nd half in every game.:eyeroll:
FanOftheGame1218 Wrote:Im proud of the football team but seriously they need to finish the baseball field first IMO...Not ragging on the football team but the baseball team will bring state home first. Alot of young talent for all sports in general, maybe one for every sport if they all work hard.

Seriously?
Who cares who wins one first...
Baseball season is like 300+ days away.
Football season is less than a 60 days away.

They've had all year to finish the baseball field, complete both and be done with it. Just because they are starting on the football field doesn't mean the baseball field construction is over till next season.
They were working on the Baseball field when I took the picture of the Football field. Word is the spring sports fields (baseball, softball, tennis) will be done mid July. Then all attention can turn to the football field and hopes of playing some games there this year! At least by the playoffs!
FanOftheGame1218 Wrote:Im proud of the football team but seriously they need to finish the baseball field first IMO...Not ragging on the football team but the baseball team will bring state home first. Alot of young talent for all sports in general, maybe one for every sport if they all work hard.

It would be nice if the football and baseball could bring home a state championship.
Mama Bear Wrote:Future site for Coal Miner's Memorial Stadium.

[Image: http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e213/k...field1.jpg]

Work beginning!!

[Image: http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e213/k...begins.jpg]

hope they can find a bigger dozer.
Boo Boo bear Wrote:My old friend zaga...don,t get me started.TongueirateSho:CheerleadTongueirateSho j/k long time no see how you been?bears go 10-0 jv plays entire 2nd half in every game.:eyeroll:

I heard your JV team is a big topic of convo in the NFL lockout conversations.
Yogibear Wrote:I already know all of this. Thanks though. I was just asking the other guy sarcastically what he knew to make him make that prediction. Gate City lost 7 or 8 starters on offense and defense. They are generally pretty good but that division in Va is generally weak. Mo Town, TN returns about 7 on each side of the ball. They have some athletes but are not very physical.

they only lost 3 starters on defense and 4 starters on offense