Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best teams in the finals????
What can we do to make sure that the best teams get to the finals??? it's ridiculous to get to the finals and have the blowouts that we are having, it's not even fun to watch. I understand that their will be upsets, but their has to be a way to make sure that the top 2 teams left are playing in the finals some how.:igiveup:
Wall4president Wrote:What can we do to make sure that the best teams get to the finals??? it's ridiculous to get to the finals and have the blowouts that we are having, it's not even fun to watch. I understand that their will be upsets, but their has to be a way to make sure that the top 2 teams left are playing in the finals some how.:igiveup:

The only way I see possible is to do it like the NCAA basketball tournament. Rank the teams and set up a bracket in such a way that theoretically numbers 1 and 2 will face off in Bowling Green
To answer the question: I thought it was Highlands. I know I am a little prejudice, but it only took the 31 minutes of playing time before the running clock.

I have got to go back and check the stats for the first 31 minutes. I think that CC only had 3 first downs at that point and one of those was on a Highlands penalty.

Now to the other matter. Six classes is at least two too many. You have to make the teams earn playoff berths. Not only are there blowouts at the championships, think about those in the first round.

The district and regional setup worked well for 47 years until the beginning of the KHSAA went to six classes.

I do not feel that MSU Eagle's idea is best because of the travel. Think about the travel involved for Mayfield this year with three long trips to Louisville, Fort Mitchell and Bowling Green. If you used MSU Eagle's idea, how many others would have lengthy trips?
Hard to do anything in High School. You have so many kids that play more than one sport and it would overlap seasons. Not much they can really do. Putting them in the six classes is about the closest they can come.

Maybe have the winners of say:
1A vs 2A
3A vs 4A
5A vs 6A

Other than that. I just don't see anything else to do.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
Like i said in another post. There is been 71 title game that the winning won by 3TDS or more.
I think there is one way to fix it. Have the game Thur, Fri, and Saturday. The first game at 6 the other one 30 mins after that. That way the kids that play the first game, don't have to get realdy to play football after they get up.
cj2561 Wrote:Like i said in another post. There is been 71 title game that the winning won by 3TDS or more.
I think there is one way to fix it. Have the game Thur, Fri, and Saturday. The first game at 6 the other one 30 mins after that. That way the kids that play the first game, don't have to get realdy to play football after they get up.

What?
sstack Wrote:What?

I'm with you SS. Confused me as well. Sounds a little rough to me if I'm reading it right.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
The simple answer is, nothing! WE can't change this system, only the High School principal and AD's who feel they are cheated because of the Private/Public debate can change it. This was not a directed change from KHSAA, this was the SCHOOLS!
1 the rocks

2 blue birdies

3 rebels

4 Central

5 Mayfield

6 NCC
TopCat Wrote:1 the rocks

2 blue birdies

3 rebels

4 Central

5 Mayfield

6 NCC

After the way NCC played, I have a hard time putting them at #6. But then again, every team up there (except Boyle) blew out their team convincingly so its hard to say who is better than the other.
I would of paid to see Mayfield and Central go at it
I'd rather see Mayfield vs. NewCath.
Go back to 4 classes. Shorten the regular season by two games. Have regular playoffs then, the four winners fight it out. Simple.
You sure as crap won't get the best teams in the finals by forcing Trinity and St. Xavier into the same district. Of course, it may help some other lesser public to reach the finals and to be destroyed in the process. It appears that the KHSAA has elected to abandon seeking the best in the playoffs in order to pacify the whiny publics in 6A.
Truth Wrote:You sure as crap won't get the best teams in the finals by forcing Trinity and St. Xavier into the same district. Of course, it may help some other lesser public to reach the finals and to be destroyed in the process. It appears that the KHSAA has elected to abandon seeking the best in the playoffs in order to pacify the whiny publics in 6A.

There has been several years in the past when the 6A champ was not the best team in the state. It's just like college football. We will never know who is the best team until they have a playoff.That's why the Kentucky high school basketball championship means so much. There is only one champion.
TopCat Wrote:1 the rocks

2 blue birdies

3 rebels

4 Central

5 Mayfield

6 NCC

trinity
highlands
mayfield
central
boyle
newcath
christian co
sstack Wrote:What?

he's saying instead of playing games at 11 a.m., they play thursday night, friday and saturday afternoon and night. that way both teams are not tired

but i dont think that wouldve helped hazard or belfry any

we could always do what ohio does and trust a math formula to pick the best teams in the state? :HitWall::HitWall:
This is just an opinion, not mine but I sort of agree, but if there is an upside to the six class system it won't be seen for years to come. I kind of understand the logic that if more teams are making deep runs in the playoffs it helps to improve the overall quality of more programs around the state which will eventually lead to the improvement of football state wide in the long run.

For example, teams like Somerset and Hazard are coming off some of the best stretches of football in their program's history, more than likely a result of the 6-class system. I don't know about Hazard but I know that Somerset is getting more kids out for football now than they were in the late 90's early 00's, because kids want to play for winning teams. I look for Somerset to be competitive for a while now because football obviously is a numbers game. Kind of complicated but I saw someone on here present this argument a few weeks back and thought it made sense to an extent.

If they were to reduce the classes though I would like to see it go back to the three class system. That would have made for some very interesting state championships this year.

(1A) Mayfield vs. NCC
(2A) ACS/Central vs. Boyle Co.
(3A) Highlands vs. Trinity (not aligned this way right now but you get the picture)
RoShamBo Wrote:If they were to reduce the classes though I would like to see it go back to the three class system. That would have made for some very interesting state championships this year.

If we go back to the 3 class system as it was from 1959 to 1974 and use the 6 champions from this year, then Central would play Trinity for the 3A championship (3A from 1959-1974 was made up of only Jefferson County schools minus a couple of small privates like a military academy that is long since closed or given up football).

Highlands vs Boyle Co. for 2A (larger schools outside Jefferson Co.)

NCC vs Mayfield for the A (smaller schools outside Jefferson Co plus the small privates in Jefferson County that were not 3A)

Also, in the late 1950's and early 1960's the KHSAA used a system called the Dickenson system to chose its playoff participants with only the district champion going to the playoffs. Each region except class AA Region 3 had two districts (Class AA region 3 only had one) Thus there were only 3 playoff weeks.
Wise one Wrote:If we go back to the 3 class system as it was from 1959 to 1974 and use the 6 champions from this year, then Central would play Trinity for the 3A championship (3A from 1959-1974 was made up of only Jefferson County schools minus a couple of small privates like a military academy that is long since closed or given up football).

Highlands vs Boyle Co. for 2A (larger schools outside Jefferson Co.)

NCC vs Mayfield for the A (smaller schools outside Jefferson Co plus the small privates in Jefferson County that were not 3A)

Also, in the late 1950's and early 1960's the KHSAA used a system called the Dickenson system to chose its playoff participants with only the district champion going to the playoffs. Each region except class AA Region 3 had two districts (Class AA region 3 only had one) Thus there were only 3 playoff weeks.

Yeah probably should have explained myself a little better, I didn't necessarily mean back to the old 3 class system just back to some sort of 3 class system. Very impressive recap though, I really didn't know all of that, haha.
RoShamBo Wrote:Yeah probably should have explained myself a little better, I didn't necessarily mean back to the old 3 class system just back to some sort of 3 class system. Very impressive recap though, I really didn't know all of that, haha.

So, go to the KHSAA site and find the enrollments. Make a proposal that you think is a good one for three classes and we can discuss it. That will be nice for the winter.
maycards88 Wrote:trinity
highlands
mayfield
central
boyle
newcath
christian co

This should be a separate thread, but I'll rank the top 6 teams in BG like this:

1. Trinity/Highlands
3. Boyle County
4. Central
5. Newport Central Cath/Mayfield
A 5 class system would be the best choice, This would allow much more competition among the public and private schools in KY. for example

If one class in knocked out roughly 35-45 teams become availible for the other classes. making it about 8 teams per class. this would allow for everyteam to earn a spot in the playoffs, etc. also it would make competition much higher examples the classes would be expanded roughly 6/5 of the current population gap making each class look something like this for top teams over the past few years:

1A: Murray would most likely drop down, caldwell, and possible eastern teams such as prestonburg, russellville would likely be here too.
2A:Union County would have dropped to 2a with a better chance this year in that class, the east its possible one of the 5 better teams somerset, belfry, breathitt, mason, SC would drop. making this alot more competitive. this class wouldnt have had fort cambell openning up the west making this like the 3a of the last 3 years, however with a slightly better competition.
3a: Murray, and fortcambell would be moved up to this class, giving central all their worth.
4a: Bell Highlands Boyle, LO, ACS, all that and more, would make for one **** of a competition.
5a: its possible highlands would have played here and gave T & X their moneys worth, cant really see any other changes.

A 5 class system works out better than a 4 or 6 class. with 4 classes nearly 1/3 of the teams didnt make the playoffs, far to many, with a 5 class system it would even the number of teams that dont go, 1/5 one in each district sometimes 2. which is the way it should be