Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlands 34 Harlan County 6
Yogibear Wrote:Meet you in Harlan County Zaga.

see ya there Wink
Stardust Wrote:As sstack and I were questioning during the game, how does HC prepare for the kind of play they will see when facing the non Smash-Mouth football teams. This is no knock, but an honest question. As we heard all week, the Mountains is Smash Mouth football. It that is a great brand of football. But how do you prepare for an athletic passing attack? You cannot gameplan what you see from teams like HHS from film.

They simply stick to their game.....no matter what.
They played Perry and Pulaski(neither are the caliber of Highlands) and they run athletic passing attacks.
I mean the run game is something they can always rely on, but as far as defense I think you have to vary it up a little bit.
Did Harlan try to blitz heavy in this game?
zaga_fan Wrote:They simply stick to their game.....no matter what.
They played Perry and Pulaski(neither are the caliber of Highlands) and they run athletic passing attacks.
I mean the run game is something they can always rely on, but as far as defense I think you have to vary it up a little bit.
Did Harlan try to blitz heavy in this game?

Yes, but Towels is big, fast and able to escape the rush very well, and throws well on the run.
sstack Wrote:Yes, but Towels is big, fast and able to escape the rush very well, and throws well on the run.

Well whatever they did in the first half against him worked.
Call me old-school, but I'm an x's and o's guy.
If you run your plays correctly and your kids execute you'll never fail.
If you have an unblocked defender get to the QB he should take him to the ground or at the least force an incompletion. I don't care who it is.
I understand that there are missed tackles and broken tackles, but even if you are giving up 75 lbs to someone you still have the ability to tackle them if you execute it correctly.
zaga_fan Wrote:Well whatever they did in the first half against him worked.
Call me old-school, but I'm an x's and o's guy.
If you run your plays correctly and your kids execute you'll never fail.
If you have an unblocked defender get to the QB he should take him to the ground or at the least force an incompletion. I don't care who it is.
I understand that there are missed tackles and broken tackles, but even if you are giving up 75 lbs to someone you still have the ability to tackle them if you execute it correctly.

We were rushing him/blitzing him...whatever you call it and were doing a great job on him, but you have to realize too that he was only playing QB, nothing else, getting to rest. He was as fresh as a freakin' daisy in the second half. We have several linemen who play both ways, so I would say that had a whole lot to do with the difference in the 2nd half. I'm not taking anything away from Towles either; he's a great QB...and a BIG guy too. Correct me if I'm wrong someone from Highlands or HC, but I don't think Highlands had anybody playing both ways.
BlackBearDenMother Wrote:We were rushing him/blitzing him...whatever you call it and were doing a great job on him, but you have to realize too that he was only playing QB, nothing else, getting to rest. He was as fresh as a freakin' daisy in the second half. We have several linemen who play both ways, so I would say that had a whole lot to do with the difference in the 2nd half. I'm not taking anything away from Towles either; he's a great QB...and a BIG guy too. Correct me if I'm wrong someone from Highlands or HC, but I don't think Highlands had anybody playing both ways.

Highlands has does not have any players that play both ways.
Aslan Wrote:Not surprised by the blowout.
Congrats Highlands on the expected victory!

:thatsfunnEven a blind hog finds a nut every now and then.see you next year bud!!!
I'm Missing all this already!...hehehe...can't wait till next year!...:Thumbs:
tradition Wrote:Highlands has does not have any players that play both ways.

I honestly believe that is your biggest difference in a school like HHS and a mountain team. It's the thing that really kills a school like HC. When you all have your very gifted athletic players playing one way, and you got HC who is already not as fast playing over half there starters both ways, there going to give out.
It's just the way it is and will probably always continue to be.
zaga_fan Wrote:And the dream season ends for the Cubs Sad

Congrats to Highlands and good luck in the championship game.

And to the Harlan faithful.....
see you next year!!!!!!!!
[Image: http://www.imageurlhost.com/images/m9770...xe9ovi.jpg]

MY Momma done told me!...Not to mess with the Black Bears!...:eyeroll:

[IMG][/IMG]

:lmao:
BlackBearDenMother Wrote:We were rushing him/blitzing him...whatever you call it and were doing a great job on him, but you have to realize too that he was only playing QB, nothing else, getting to rest. He was as fresh as a freakin' daisy in the second half. We have several linemen who play both ways, so I would say that had a whole lot to do with the difference in the 2nd half. I'm not taking anything away from Towles either; he's a great QB...and a BIG guy too. Correct me if I'm wrong someone from Highlands or HC, but I don't think Highlands had anybody playing both ways.

You make a VERY good point and what I believe is the key difference in the mountain teams and a team like Highlands. I remember back in 99' when LC played Highlands at Highlands in the Semis they had what appeared to be 100 kids on the sidelines! We heard that darn cannon more than I care to admit that night! :biggrin:
Fact is, the HC Black Bears handed the ball to Highlands for a free 7 to start the game. Towles then had ONE big pass play for a TD in the first half. The Bears held Highlands the rest of that first half. Also, in the meantime, the Bears were pounding it for gains most all of the first half. Scored on ONE and were stopped deep in Highlands territory on two possesions in that first half as well. Those were huge stops and huge missed opportunities for HC. The score very well could've, yeah couldve shouldve but wasnt, couldve been HC- 20 Highlands-7 at the half. The score was in fact 14-6 Highlands at the half. Towles had ONE big pass play for TD in the 3rd Qtr and the Bears missed another scoring opportunity in the 3rd qtr. The Bears were behind 20-6 to begin the 4th qtr and Towles had TWO big pass play for a scores , one due to a blown coverage and another ONE in the 4th Qtr a gimme late with Bears feeling the end. Four big pass plays and the Black Bears had four good opportunities to score, one on the goal and three deep in redzone. The Black Bears had near 300 yards rushing against Highlands, but Highlands stopped the Bears when it counted. Highlands totally stayed with the pass due to their inability to rush against HC and four bigguns paid in the end. The Bears ran with success, but didn't plunge it in on several occasions. Highlands Defense prevented an upset. Hats off to Highlands! IT :1: is yours!
Boo Boo bear Wrote::thatsfunnEven a blind hog finds a nut every now and then.see you next year bud!!!

See ya there hoss :Clap:
Towles is the real deal. He caught the Black Bears on four bigguns. He has a very strong arm, comfortable under the rush, poised and composed, smart, elusive, some pretty good speed mostly shifty, able to take a hit and move on to his task, accurate, crisp, will stay in the pocket, steps through the rush, and makes the connection. He also directs the offense very good and is a big boy. Near 6'5" and 225. He definitely has a bright future. Definitely, the best QB the Black Bears have ever faced. The Black Bears are very young and their future looks bright as well. There was alot of freshman and sophs out on that field and a great deal of experience obtained. The Bears will be back!
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I honestly believe that is your biggest difference in a school like HHS and a mountain team. It's the thing that really kills a school like HC. When you all have your very gifted athletic players playing one way, and you got HC who is already not as fast playing over half there starters both ways, there going to give out.
It's just the way it is and will probably always continue to be.

It hasn't always been this way at Highlands. In fact, last season was the first where we had the luxury of playing players only one way. When the season started, there were some who played both ways, but as the season wore on, fewer and fewer had to play both ways.

This season, the plan from the beginning was to only have players playing one way. For the most part, that has been how it has worked out. There are a few spot plays or formations that have an O-Lineman playing some D-Line, and a goal line formation with some linebackers, but other than that, the separation has worked.

In addition to being rested, the other nice feature is for the coaches of the respective O or D unit to get time between series to work things out. In-game adjustments are easier to make when you have the entire O-Line talking through assignments, as is the case with the other position groups.
Thunder 44 Wrote:It hasn't always been this way at Highlands. In fact, last season was the first where we had the luxury of playing players only one way. When the season started, there were some who played both ways, but as the season wore on, fewer and fewer had to play both ways.

This season, the plan from the beginning was to only have players playing one way. For the most part, that has been how it has worked out. There are a few spot plays or formations that have an O-Lineman playing some D-Line, and a goal line formation with some linebackers, but other than that, the separation has worked.

In addition to being rested, the other nice feature is for the coaches of the respective O or D unit to get time between series to work things out. In-game adjustments are easier to make when you have the entire O-Line talking through assignments, as is the case with the other position groups.

Absolutely correct and well stated. :Thumbs:

Not only does it double the practice reps each kid gets (because each kid is only practicing one position on one side of the ball) thus giving them many more practice reps to improve at the one position, it allows the coaches to only have to coach one side of the ball. Big luxury, if you will, for the coaches. Really helps them prepare for practices when they only have to worry about coaching positions on one side of the ball. There is some disadvantages to truly two platooning, particularly when the injury bug hits like it has, but all in all, I think it was a smart decision to make. It also dramatically helps avoid the "peaks and valleys" syndrome a lot of schools have when a very talented senior class graduates that filled a lot of starting positions on both sides of the ball.