Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coach Salary Question
Irish#1 Wrote:No Coach DeRossett's pay isn't supplement. It's a shame that a coach of his caliber makes as little as he does. He could go many other places and make probably double what he does at P-burg (total salary) but that will never happen, the man loves Blackcat Football too much.

WOW! That's a shame.
Matman Wrote:I am suprised no one has mentioned it but Matney's salary has had alot of rumors surrounding it in the past. I have heard he is paid over 90k a year in total compensation.

I heard that when Matney coached at SC, he was one of the highest paid coaches in the state and they still couldn't dive him everything that he wanted so he left. Its hard to tell what he get at JC. I hope he gets it all because he is a good man and coach.
Tica Wrote:Some coaches make much more with supplements/stipends from booster clubs.

Title 9 would love to hear about this.
Hint - A search of state bingo licenses could be instructive.
I have tried to tell people on this web site before when coaching salaries are discussed. Each high school school has to send in a Title IX report every school year by April 15. In that report, a school MUST list all the money spent on their athletic porgrams. This includes booster money spent on the progams and the salary for coaches hired in the school district. The report has to be signed by the principal, superintendent, and the Board of Education chairperson. When they sign, they are saying that those number are true and accurate. Then, about every 5-7 years the KHSAA calls on the schools and they do an audit.
cardsfan98 Wrote:I heard that when Matney coached at SC, he was one of the highest paid coaches in the state and they still couldn't dive him everything that he wanted so he left. Its hard to tell what he get at JC. I hope he gets it all because he is a good man and coach.

I blieve while he was at Martin Co he made right around 65k a year. This is pretty typical teachers salary coupled with head football coach, head wrestling coach and head track coach. I think the problems at Martin Co was more about support for the program rather than the pay.
Pike County -

$3500 plus 18 extended days at your Rank. for football, boys/girls basketball, and volleyball.

Baseball/Softball is $2,000, no extended days.

The rest is $1,000, I think.

One of the "issues" here at Pike Central is some are getting more extended days than others or made up duties, which has lead to some problems.
Most coaches don't earn enough, whatever they are getting paid. A few are paid way too much for what they produce. The ones who are most successful, in the long run, would probably coach for free, as they have a love for the game.

I recommend more para-professionals and fewer teacher/coaches to get the most out of a program. Teachers simply looking to supplement their incomes aren't doing the sport they coach any justice.
There is no CAP. Extra curricular position salaries are determined by local boards of education.
Blackwater Wrote:I have tried to tell people on this web site before when coaching salaries are discussed. Each high school school has to send in a Title IX report every school year by April 15. In that report, a school MUST list all the money spent on their athletic porgrams. This includes booster money spent on the progams and the salary for coaches hired in the school district. The report has to be signed by the principal, superintendent, and the Board of Education chairperson. When they sign, they are saying that those number are true and accurate. Then, about every 5-7 years the KHSAA calls on the schools and they do an audit.

This is a fact.:Clap:
Blackwater Wrote:I have tried to tell people on this web site before when coaching salaries are discussed. Each high school school has to send in a Title IX report every school year by April 15. In that report, a school MUST list all the money spent on their athletic porgrams. This includes booster money spent on the progams and the salary for coaches hired in the school district. The report has to be signed by the principal, superintendent, and the Board of Education chairperson. When they sign, they are saying that those number are true and accurate. Then, about every 5-7 years the KHSAA calls on the schools and they do an audit.

And we all know everyone is honest and rules are never broken. :biggrin:
If someone wants to mislead the KHSAA and the Office of Civil Rights and risk the loss of their teaching or administrative certification and KTRS retirement; then they will have to live with that. Maybe years ago things were different, but we are engaged in a different world of accountablity. Like they say.......It is not an issue until someone makes it an issue. I would hate to face my family, after losing the things above, and the only reason I could give was to pay a coach more money, then lie about it.
If the three people that have to sign the report want to mislead the KHSAA and the Office of Civil Rights then they are playing with big chips. The adminstrators could lose thier cerfication and KTRS (retirement). The BOE chair could lose their position. Legally they could be charged for a felony and have to pay legal fees. All this to lie about a coach and their salary?
Westside Wrote:And we all know everyone is honest and rules are never broken. :biggrin:

Why would they lie? Are they a cap?
Matman Wrote:Why would they lie? Are they a cap?

Guys, if you think these rules have never or are ever broken, I would say you are fooling yourselves.
Westside Wrote:Guys, if you think these rules have never or are ever broken, I would say you are fooling yourselves.

No I am asking what are the rules? Are they a cap? Are they a total a program can spend? All i have seen is they must report it.
Matman Wrote:No I am asking what are the rules? Are they a cap? Are they a total a program can spend? All i have seen is they must report it.

I'm sorry. I misunderstood you. I have no idea about a cap.