Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American Pickers?
Anyone watch it constantly like I do? lol
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
yea i really like the show....They find so cool stuff.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
They really do. And it really amazes me at the things they do find.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
^ Great Show.
That and Pawn stars are very cool shows
^Yes, Pawn Stars is another great one.
#BBFL
very envious of you guys
Pawn Stars is good, American pickers is to boring for me. Theres a new pawn show called hardcore pawn thats based in Detroit thats pretty good also.
^ I am going to Vegas the end of this month and making a trip to their shop
Stardust Wrote:^ I am going to Vegas the end of this month and making a trip to their shop

LOL!!!!!!!!! You get to meet Chumlee. You should take something and try to pawn it.
Westside Wrote:LOL!!!!!!!!! You get to meet Chumlee. You should take something and try to pawn it.

LOL, my wife and I have spent all day trying to get an address from the television show, and finally got it. We have watched the marathon most of the day.
I watch American Pickers and its a great show! But, my FAVORITE is PAWN STARS!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
I was listening to a radio call in show on WSIP and a caller who had been in contact with them said they "American Pickers" were coming to Eastern Kentucky sometime within the next two months.
Stardust Wrote:^ I am going to Vegas the end of this month and making a trip to their shop

You may be disappointed. Ive read on multiple forums from people thats its a crap hole. Its super small and not a lot of stuff but everything overpriced. Also that most of the time most characters are not even there. They did say they were adding on, so maybe its larger now. Ill try to find some links if you wanna check it out.
American Pickers, Pawn Stars, Ice Road truckers, Swamp People..............Yep i am addicted
csabo17 Wrote:You may be disappointed. Ive read on multiple forums from people thats its a crap hole. Its super small and not a lot of stuff but everything overpriced. Also that most of the time most characters are not even there. They did say they were adding on, so maybe its larger now. Ill try to find some links if you wanna check it out.

It's probably one of those deals of of just saying "we were there". I'm not expecting much. Since they are open 24 hours, and they are on the strip, it's won't take any time away from anything else we plan to do.
I would say your right on the over priced part.. but it is a pawn shop so that should tell you something...
Old School Wrote:I was listening to a radio call in show on WSIP and a caller who had been in contact with them said they "American Pickers" were coming to Eastern Kentucky sometime within the next two months.
Well crap. I just had a yard sale this weekend. They woulda had a feast at my house.
Pawn stars is awesome...
but they make a living off of ripping people off lol
BCF4L Wrote:Well crap. I just had a yard sale this weekend. They woulda had a feast at my house.

:lmao: That's too funny.
I like most the shows on the History Channel.
zaga_fan Wrote:Pawn stars is awesome...
but they make a living off of ripping people off lol

:lmao:
#BBFL
I watched American Pickers last night.. they are about the same as Pawn Stars.. making a living by ripping ppl a new one.
Ballers Wrote:I watched American Pickers last night.. they are about the same as Pawn Stars.. making a living by ripping ppl a new one.
Hey they have to make a living
Ballers Wrote:I watched American Pickers last night.. they are about the same as Pawn Stars.. making a living by ripping ppl a new one.

I can't see how anyone can say they make a living off of ripping people off. I mean there is no law that says the people have to sell their stuff to the pawn shop nor do they have to pay their asking price. I say if they can get it for pennies and sell it for dollars then more power to them.

Aren't they in the business to make money?

I agree to a degree, but at least with the pawn stars people go to their pawn shop. The pickers seek out people at their homes. I guess nobody holds a gun to their head and makes them sell their stuff though. Something else that gets on my nerves is that after they have ripped people off and are leaving, they always wave at them. I wish just once they would show the people flipping them the bird.
Westside Wrote:I agree to a degree, but at least with the pawn stars people go to their pawn shop. The pickers seek out people at their homes. I guess nobody holds a gun to their head and makes them sell their stuff though. Something else that gets on my nerves is that after they have ripped people off and are leaving, they always wave at them. I wish just once they would show the people flipping them the bird.

^ haha. I'm sure it has happened, just hasn't showed it on T.V.
Midee1 Wrote:I can't see how anyone can say they make a living off of ripping people off. I mean there is no law that says the people have to sell their stuff to the pawn shop nor do they have to pay their asking price. I say if they can get it for pennies and sell it for dollars then more power to them.

Aren't they in the business to make money?

Either way, I'm not saying I'm against the idea..
Yea, they make good money off of buying something for cheap and reselling it.
But I wonder if the ppl who they bought the stuff from watches the show?
And when they do, I bet they feel like idiots after seeing what they are getting out of it now.
I would also bet that their opinion of them changes real fast after they seen what they just got out of them.
Ballers Wrote:Either way, I'm not saying I'm against the idea..
Yea, they make good money off of buying something for cheap and reselling it.
But I wonder if the ppl who they bought the stuff from watches the show?
And when they do, I bet they feel like idiots after seeing what they are getting out of it now.
I would also bet that their opinion of them changes real fast after they seen what they just got out of them.

I think some of the stuff is staged. Like the guy who brought in 5 baseball cards to sell. The guy said he had been collecting cards over 20 years but they were not in cases and they were handling them kinda rough. I know you take cards out of their cases to examine them, but you don't handle them the way these people did. When I was younger I collected cards and know better than this.
I like Pickers, but like most of you on here, I think Pawn Stars is a far more entertaining show.

An interesting side note: A co-worker of mine has been contacted several times by the producer of American Pickers. They are wanting to come check out his stuff and are trying to map their next route through KY.

His son submitted his name and info on their website and about a week later they contacted him. They made him send a list of all the stuff he wanted to sell, then send TONS of pictures of everything. Like, every item he'd consider selling, the view as you're walking in, views of the property, etc. He ended up e-mailing them over 200 pictures.

It kind of takes the glamour out of it when you learn that the Pickers aren't exactly stumbling upon some hidden treasures. In reality, they have time to view and research the items the person has and can determine how much they're worth before going there.

So, these guys don't really know everything like the show makes it seem. In all likelihood, they research the items beforehand and that's how they know what certain things are and how much they're worth.

As far as the comments on Pawn Stars ripping people off....I have a hard time agreeing with that. I mean, these people are taking their items to the shop trying to make a quick buck. It's a PAWN SHOP, you should know beforehand that you're taking something to a business to sell so that they can turn right back around and sell it and MAKE A PROFIT OFF OF IT.

And reselling it for a couple bucks more than what they bought it for is not good business. Of course they have to buy the items cheap and sell them high, that's how they make their money and they have to pay for all kinds of expenses in running the business as well. If you have a problem with being ripped off, then sell your stuff on eBay or Craigslist. Anyone who goes into a pawn shop thinking they're going to get more than 50% of what their item is worth is just plain ignorant. You'd be lucky to get 25-40% of what it's worth.

And did anyone see one of the new episodes where the lady brought in a brooch and had no idea what it was worth? It ended up being a Faberge brooch and the lady said she didn't know how much it was worth and wanted to get a "couple thousand" for it. Rick said unfortunately he has a conscience and offered her $15,000 for it. If he hadn't been honest with her, he could have easily bought it for $2,000 and sold it for probably $25,000 or $30,000.

That pawn shop is open 24/7, so yes, they have all kinds of different staff working there at different times. I have also heard from people who went that the store was smaller than it seemed on TV. I was told that the majority of the building is taken up by the storage area in the back.

I do agree that I think some stuff might be staged, but I certainly don't think all of it is staged. Like any other reality TV show, I think they show the most interesting clips and some of the people brining their stuff in may act a little crazy because they're on TV. Someone mentioned the Pete Rose baseball cards that were brought in. They were determined the be fake cards, so yeah, if you were carrying around 5 worthless "cards" I'm not sure how gentle you need to be in handling them. But I will also say this, I spoke with a local baseball card shop owner about that very episode and he said that from what he saw on TV the cards looked real. He said there's no way to know unless you handled them and could really look at them close, but he said from what he saw on TV, they looked genuine. But also, who just happens to have 5 identical Pete Rose cards in pristine condition? And at that, the guy who brought them in said they had just been sitting in his garage in a box. A little fishy. If he were a card collector or something like that, I could see having 5 of those cards, but for some common joe who just kept some cards in a box in his garage to come in with 5 perfect Pete Rose cards is a red flag to begin with.

Lastly, the new pawn shop show, Hardcore Pawn is a cheap imitation IMO. I DVR'd two episodes and was not impressed. Not to mention, I cannot find the dang show on TV anymore. I search the guide and never can find a time when it's on. But from the episodes I saw, it was boring. No one brought in anything really of interest. I mean, some chick trying to sell her panties pails in comparison to guys bringing in bars of shipwrecked gold and the like.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]