Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Controversial video of U.S. Army engaging enemy
PC_You_Know Wrote:God was behind the deaths of many people as well. I don't think the great flood or the parting and closing of the dead sea was exactly merciful to many.

But as to the subject posted by the OP, I fully support what was done here. I have 2 family members and numerous friends who have been to Iraq on more than 1 tour, and this is what happens over there. Cell phones and other such ordinary objects here in the United States are behind things much bigger than the death of 1 person in Iraq.
Fables and Fairy tails, but I will agree with you on one point, many people have died at the hand of/ or because of christianity. Weak minded people believe in fairy tails that aren't proven true.
TheRealVille Wrote:Fables and Fairy tails, but I will agree with you on one point, many people have died at the hand of/ or because of christianity. Weak minded people believe in fairy tails that aren't proven true.
Your disparaging comments about Christians and their religion do nothing to make you look any more cosmopolitan or intellectual than any other narrow-minded arrogant atheist out there. Can you not be confident in your own disbelief without insulting the beliefs of others?

It is true that Christians throughout history have sometimes killed in the name of religion, it is also true that in modern times far more people have died under the swords of Islamic jihadists than by the hands of Christians.

So, Mr. I Am an Atheist So I am Smarter than Thou, where are your childish insults of Muslims and Mohammed? Maybe you are intelligent to know that insulting Islam is far more likely to result in your death or maiming - or maybe you insult Christians because there are few Muslims frequenting this board to give you the attention you so much crave.

Show some respect and earn some respect.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Your disparaging comments about Christians and their religion do nothing to make you look any more cosmopolitan or intellectual than any other narrow-minded arrogant atheist out there. Can you not be confident in your own disbelief without insulting the beliefs of others?

It is true that Christians throughout history have sometimes killed in the name of religion, it is also true that in modern times far more people have died under the swords of Islamic jihadists than by the hands of Christians.

So, Mr. I Am an Atheist So I am Smarter than Thou, where are your childish insults of Muslims and Mohammed? Maybe you are intelligent to know that insulting Islam is far more likely to result in your death or maiming - or maybe you insult Christians because there are few Muslims frequenting this board to give you the attention you so much crave.

I also know that Islam has killed innocents, but not nearly as many as christians through the ages. Christianity had a 600 year head start on Islam. Mr. Hoot, you really don't want to get into a fact based religious argument with me. I don't ask for respect and want none from weak minded "god" believers, of any religion.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Your disparaging comments about Christians and their religion do nothing to make you look any more cosmopolitan or intellectual than any other narrow-minded arrogant atheist out there. Can you not be confident in your own disbelief without insulting the beliefs of others?

So, Mr. I Am an Atheist So I am Smarter than Thou, where are your childish i[B]nsults of Muslims and Mohammed? Maybe you are intelligent to know that insulting Islam is far more likely to result in your death or maiming - or maybe you insult Christians because there are few Muslims frequenting this board to give you the attention you so much crave.[/B]

Islam is just as idiotic any other religion.
TheRealVille Wrote:I also know that Islam has killed innocents, but not nearly as many as christians through the ages. Christianity had a 600 year head start on Islam. Mr. Hoot, you really don't want to get into a fact based religious argument with me. I don't ask for respect and want none from weak minded "god" believers, of any religion.
You are right, I do not want to get into a fact-based argument of religion with one who has such as condescending opinion of Christians. Religion requires faith. Advanced theoretical physics requires faith. Disproving a religious belief is no more possible than proving the existence of an infinite number of universes or strings.

As for the bolded, Einstein was a "God" believer and you are obviously no Einstein, so why do you feel the need to belittle the religious beliefs of people whose intelligence dwarfs your own?
Hoot Gibson Wrote:You are right, I do not want to get into a fact-based argument of religion with one who has such as condescending opinion of Christians. Religion requires faith. Advanced theoretical physics requires faith. Disproving a religious belief is no more possible than proving the existence of an infinite number of universes or parallel dimensions.

As for the bolded, Einstein was a "God" believer and you are obviously no Einstein, so why do you feel the need to belittle the religious beliefs of people whose intelligence dwarfs your own?
No, Einstein was no god beliver, research your facts. Disproving religious beliefs is as easy as believing science, yet christians don't believe science or facts.

Quote:I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it. (Albert Einstein, 1954)
deleted. double post.
TheRealVille Wrote:No, Einstein was no god beliver, research your facts. Disproving religious beliefs is as easy as believing science, yet christians don't believe science or facts.
A Christian - no, but Einstein, the genius that he was, professed to be a religious man. Unlike you, Einstein was a humble man who had too much class to ridicule the religious beliefs of others. You obviously fancy yourself as an intellectual heavyweight but you are obviously no such thing. You are entitled to your own religious beliefs or lack thereof but you look foolish and petty when you claim that religious people are feeble minded.

Quote:A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty - it is this knowledge and this emotion that constitute the truly religious attitude; in this sense, and in this alone, I am a deeply religious man. (Albert Einstein)

I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it. (Albert Einstein, 1954)

I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fates and actions of human beings. (Albert Einstein) - link

I see that you deliberately omitted Einstein's comments from your source that contradicted your own characterization of his beliefs. How intellectually dishonest of you! :lmao:
Hoot Gibson Wrote:A Christian - no, but Einstein, the genius that he was, professed to be a religious man. Unlike you, Einstein was a humble man who had too much class to ridicule the religious beliefs of others. You obviously fancy yourself as an intellectual heavyweight but you are obviously no such thing. You are entitled to your own religious beliefs or lack thereof but you look foolish and petty when you claim that religious people are feeble minded.

I see that you deliberately omitted Einstein's comments from your source that contradicted your own characterization of his beliefs. How intellectually dishonest of you! :lmao:
Dig deeper and you will see that he didn't believe in a god.
Quote:A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty - it is this knowledge and this emotion that constitute the truly religious attitude; in this sense, and in this alone, I am a deeply religious man. (Albert Einstein)

I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it. (Albert Einstein, 1954)

I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fates and actions of human beings. (Albert Einstein)
TheRealVille Wrote:Dig deeper and you will see that he didn't believe in a god.
No, you dig deeper and show that he was an atheist. You made the claim. Back it up. What you did was dishonest. You cherry picked one of three quotes, and one that you did not cite was the one in which Einstein professed himself to be very religious.

Einstein is not the only brilliant human being to acknowledge some belief in God and he was certainly not the most devout believer. My point is that people far smarter than you and people far smarter than I, have held deep religious beliefs. To call them "weak minded" makes you look idiotic - as does your habit of intentionally ignoring grammar rules by failing to capitalize the names of religious figures or the religions that they founded. It makes you look childish. It makes you look foolish. It makes you look like a foolish child. If that is the impression that you are going for, then you are succeeding very well.

Finally, it is a little late to change the debate. You said that Einstein did not believe in God. Now that you have discovered that you are wrong, you are trying to hang your act that he did not believe in a personal God, as if that was your original position. It wasn't. Man up and admit that you were wrong.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:No, you dig deeper and show that he was an atheist. You made the claim. Back it up. What you did was dishonest. You cherry picked one of three quotes, and one that you did not cite was the one in which Einstein professed himself to be very religious.

Einstein is not the only brilliant human being to acknowledge some belief in God and he was certainly not the most devout believer. My point is that people far smarter than you and people far smarter than I, have held deep religious beliefs. To call them "weak minded" makes you look idiotic - as does your habit of intentionally ignoring grammar rules by failing to capitalize the names of religious figures or the religions that they founded. It makes you look childish. It makes you look foolish. It makes you look like a foolish child. If that is the impression that you are going for, then you are succeeding very well.

Finally, it is a little late to change the debate. You said that Einstein did not believe in God. Now that you have discovered that you are wrong, you are trying to hang your act that he did not believe in a personal God, as if that was your original position. It wasn't. Man up and admit that you were wrong.
Read up on him and you will see that he doesn't believe in god. Until then, if you aren't a christian, and there is a god, you are bound for the same **** as me. LOL.
TheRealVille Wrote:Read up on him and you will see that he doesn't believe in god. Until then, if you aren't a christian, and there is a god, you are bound for the same **** as me. LOL.
More of the same condescending, simple minded, insults. It has been mildly amusing pointing out the humility of a genius like Einstein compared to the arrogance of a pseudo-intellectual atheist but I have had enough entertainment for the night. I will leave you with one last Einstein quote, which again goes to his humility and class and your lack of both characteristics.

Quote:I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal God is a childlike one, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth. I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being. (Albert Einstein)

The greatest scientist of the 20th Century recognized the wisdom of approaching life with a sense of awe and humility...but you are too smart for that, huh? :biggrin:

As for "reading up" on Einstein, theoretical physics is a hobby of mine. The more I read by modern physicists like Hawking and Michio Kaku, the more that I understand how uncertain that they are of how we all came into being. Evidence is mounting that the universe began with a big bang from a singularity but scientists will never know what caused the big bang or what preceded it.