Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tubby Smith Out As Minnesota Head Coach?
Because it’s been a while since we have seen the Tubby Stare.

Earlier this year some stories started brewing about Minnesotans disappointment with former Wildcat Tubby Smith as their head coach. They were having a lot of the same grievances Kentucky fans had in the last couple years, questions about his ability to develop talent and the level of recruiting. But Minnesota is now 18-12, including a marquee win over Wisconsin a few weeks ago, and is sitting firmly on the bubble with a chance to get off it if they could upset Michigan State in the second round of the Big 10 tournament. While the concerns haven’t vanished about Coach Smith, his critics have certainly quited down. (Which only goes to show the differences in Minn/Kentucky.)

Meanwhile, Oregon coach Ernie Kent has all but left Eugene (which is where UO is located, if you didn’t know,) and the back room discussions have begun. Supposedly the former Kentucky coach is on the Oregon AD’s list. While Tubby currently denies any particular interest in taking the job, he has yet to come out and say that he’s committed to Minnesota either.

When asked about his thoughts on the matter, Coach Smith had this to say.
[INDENT]“If I ever addressed every rumor, then I wouldn’t be able to do what I do. There’s always talk about coaches leaving and players leaving. It’s part of the business. We’re happy here. Even though this year was an up and down year, we feel like we have the right pieces in place. We think we can be a pretty good team in the future.”
[/INDENT] After the past four years, we’re all familiar with Coach Speak, and that’s absolutely what this is. No, you don’t have to address every rumor, but you do have to address this one, because it has been brought up. As always, if he wanted to squash the rumors, Coach Smith would have come out and blatantly said no.

It’s too early to tell who will end up on the sidelines wearing green and yellow, but I don’t think I’m alone when I wish them success, with or without Tubby. I mean, who doesn’t like Ducks? Plus, it’s only seems fair, after what ex-duck Rich Brooks did for us.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=46830
I really do doubt that Tubby will be forced out after 1 underachieving season. I say that being in Minnesota gives him a little extra time to right the ship.
We are talking about Minnesota, 18-12 and on the buble is a good year for them. As long as Tubby can win 17-20 games per season at Minnsota he will have a job. But we have all heard the Tubby I am staying story before as he boards the plane to Minny, so I would say there is some thought about taking the Ducks job. Peresonally I think he would do great out in the Pac 10, the whole conference is down and Tubby can win 18 games per year out there and be competetive yearly.
Colonel Kill Wrote:We are talking about Minnesota, 18-12 and on the buble is a good year for them. As long as Tubby can win 17-20 games per season at Minnsota he will have a job. But we have all heard the Tubby I am staying story before as he boards the plane to Minny, so I would say there is some thought about taking the Ducks job. Peresonally I think he would do great out in the Pac 10, the whole conference is down and Tubby can win 18 games per year out there and be competetive yearly.

I agree with you man. I thought that this was a decent situation for Tubby to be on the bubble.
Minnesota would be making a grave mistake running off Tubby. I look for Tubby to end up back in the SEC sooner than later though..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Minnesota couldn't find a better coach than Tubby to coach there team.
If I were Tubby I would go to Oregon if possible. If I'm not mistaken they open a new arena next year. More importantly with Nike backing Oregon so much, think of all the cool merchandise you'd get.
Interesting topic. He is a good coach, he will do fine wherever he goes/stays.
Westside Wrote:If I were Tubby I would go to Oregon if possible. If I'm not mistaken they open a new arena next year. More importantly with Nike backing Oregon so much, think of all the cool merchandise you'd get.

Imagine an ole school coach like Tubby coaching a team with those jerseys that only have the number on them. Kind of funny if you ask me.