Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who Are the State Powerhouses?
Belfry
Trinity
Danville
Boyle
St. X
liveMAROON Wrote:whoa whoa whoa there wheres pikeville in these lists? they have just as good of chance if not better than last years team to reach papa johns

Not unless Beechwood and NewCath decide to play ball in Ohio.
How long do you think it will be before belfry wins a state championship again gilmore......Im sayin its our last chance to make a run for the trophy just like this past year was belfry's in a long time
liveMAROON Wrote:How long do you think it will be before belfry wins a state championship again gilmore......Im sayin its our last chance to make a run for the trophy just like this past year was belfry's in a long time

I don't know to be honest, but I really think we (Belfry) are more of a mountain powerhouse than a state powerhouse. IMO the bottom line is that we (mountain schools) don't have the population to be a perennial title contender year in and year out. There may be years where a team is loaded to the gill, like Belfry '03-'04, but they are few and far between.

One more thing and then I'll answer your question. I didn't expect Belfry to win this year. I'm tickled pink that we did, but it came as a shock to me. With that being said, I really can't tell much about how AA is going to play out. When I was at Belfry we were AAA and were for many years after that so I am more familiar with those schools.

Anyway, here goes. Belfry will be a young team next year. A lot like Middlesboro was this year, but a little better due to the fact we have some senior leadership returning. But this freshman class the Pirates ahve is gonna be special. I don't see any stars like Doug Howard and David Jones, but I would be willing to bet they are more solid 1-11 as freshman than this year's senior class was.

Personally, I see Belfry being a legitimate threat in '06-'07 more so than in '05. But I am accustomed to being wrong every now and then. :wink:
pretty solid information gilmore...and i was just flapping my jobs because im a pretty dedicated fan and i think pikeville is going to make some noise this year
I personally believe that Pikeville has a chance to maybe make it to Papa John's Stadium next year. Before you all go writing them off, realize they keep most of their offensive players. I believe they will return six starters on offense and more than that on defense. Four very talented running backs on that team. Recievers who arent flashy but can catch some passes when needed, but there offensive is pre-dominately running. Still a very solid defense. They are in a weak region , and my personal opinion, I could be wrong, is that they could compete with Beechwood. I thought Beechwood was losing many starters. The offensive positions are going to be quickly filled by some very good players but one position leaves me in question, TE. I dont see anyone at that position yet but we will see.

So, Yes Pikeville will be a POWERHOUSE (well I could be wrong but lets hope I'm right!!!!!!!)
Interesting Post..........and i believe that either Tim champlain or Tim Honaker will fill up the TE hole........(no pun intended) and the receivers will be Matt Sexton, Chip Davis and the other that doesnt start at TE ( either champlain if honaker is the starter and vice-versa)
youknowwhoibe Wrote:I personally believe that Pikeville has a chance to maybe make it to Papa John's Stadium next year. Before you all go writing them off, realize they keep most of their offensive players. I believe they will return six starters on offense and more than that on defense. Four very talented running backs on that team. Recievers who arent flashy but can catch some passes when needed, but there offensive is pre-dominately running. Still a very solid defense. They are in a weak region , and my personal opinion, I could be wrong, is that they could compete with Beechwood. I thought Beechwood was losing many starters. The offensive positions are going to be quickly filled by some very good players but one position leaves me in question, TE. I dont see anyone at that position yet but we will see.

So, Yes Pikeville will be a POWERHOUSE (well I could be wrong but lets hope I'm right!!!!!!!)
The only problem with making it to Papa Johns is beating Newport Catholic. NCC will be the best in A and one of the top 5 teams in all classes.

NCC will beat Pikeville by 3-5 TD's in the Pike Co Bowl and by even more if Pikeville makes it to the semis, which they'd have to play at NCC.
Ncc...I think Pikeville will beat them in the Pike County Bowl....
Well sportswhiz, NCC at the time may be a better team but I think that it would be a much closer game than you and most people will expect. Plus, on any given night, any team can be another team.
I guess so....
youknowwhoibe Wrote:Well sportswhiz, NCC at the time may be a better team but I think that it would be a much closer game than you and most people will expect. Plus, on any given night, any team can be another team.
incredible point made YOUKNOW..........most people didnt think they were gonna beat Prestonsburg last year let alone shut them out.......as for NCC.....lets just say miracles DO happen
Hmmmmm.......
Jesse Cochran from Eastridge.. He is 6'1, weighs about 330 and has a Squat max of 450 lbs and deadlifts the same... he just started his freshman year, but has proved himself on JV and Varsity. With Brock Taylor leaving this year, I look for him to step up and get a job on D-line.
theswag Wrote:Jesse Cochran from Eastridge.. He is 6'1, weighs about 330 and has a Squat max of 450 lbs and deadlifts the same... he just started his freshman year, but has proved himself on JV and Varsity. With Brock Taylor leaving this year, I look for him to step up and get a job on D-line.

I'm not sure what this post is doin in this thread.

But the question here is, does one championship make a team a powerhouse, or does two even make it a powerhouse. IMO no.. For a team to become an actual powerhouse, I think they need to go year in and year out making it at least to the semis. And actually having a chance at state. Belfry is slowly becoming a Powerhouse, being that they have won two back to back state championships. Not an easy task, but for them to become a powerhouse they would have to compete with the best teams in the state like Trinity, Male, St. X, Danville, and Highlands.
Not taking anything away from Belfry because what they have accomplished the last two years is incredible. And I would def. consider them a mountain Powehouse, but as far as statewide, I think they have a little ways to go, but they are def. on the right track.
crazytaxidriver Wrote:
theswag Wrote:Jesse Cochran from Eastridge.. He is 6'1, weighs about 330 and has a Squat max of 450 lbs and deadlifts the same... he just started his freshman year, but has proved himself on JV and Varsity. With Brock Taylor leaving this year, I look for him to step up and get a job on D-line.

I'm not sure what this post is doin in this thread.

But the question here is, does one championship make a team a powerhouse, or does two even make it a powerhouse. IMO no.. For a team to become an actual powerhouse, I think they need to go year in and year out making it at least to the semis. And actually having a chance at state. Belfry is slowly becoming a Powerhouse, being that they have won two back to back state championships. Not an easy task, but for them to become a powerhouse they would have to compete with the best teams in the state like Trinity, Male, St. X, Danville, and Highlands.
Not taking anything away from Belfry because what they have accomplished the last two years is incredible. And I would def. consider them a mountain Powehouse, but as far as statewide, I think they have a little ways to go, but they are def. on the right track.

That was my bad... i clicked on this thread by mistake... i thought i clicked on a different thread.. Sorry. But the big powerhouses are defintely St. X, Belfry, And Trinity. No Contest.
Umm...this is off topic lol but how do u change stuff on ya profile
i dont think belfry is realy a powerhouse they could b considered one in the Region but not the hole state Breathitt could b considered one and Def Trinity and Saint X how about i throw this one out Boyd use to b. Bell has always been pretty tough. Pikeville is in their region.
how bout boyle!
yes them to i couldnt remember if it was BOYD and Boyle or just Boyle lol.
panthermania Wrote:Ncc...I think Pikeville will beat them in the Pike County Bowl....
Are you serious? I hope you're kidding.

Both Beechwood and Newport Catholic will be 3+ TD's better than Pikeville next season.

You can say Pikeville has a chance to reach the carpet next season, but by a chance, you'd be meaning a .00001% chance. Like someone already said, unless Beechwood and Newport Catholic decide to rejoin the GCL for next season, it will be one of those two in the title game from the East.

Anyway, Pikeville is nowhere near a powerhouse right now. In the mountains, they may be, but it's pretty easy to be a 1A powerhouse in the mountains. Ludlow could be a 1A powerhouse in the mountains the way 1A football is played there...

Beechwood and Danville are THE powerhouse teams in 1A. Newport Catholic and Louisville Holy Cross are on the outside looking in on "powerhouse" status...
Henry Clay is a powerhouse this year. I looks them to win the 4A state championship.. This is one of the most athletic teams I ever seen at a high school level. If they can learn to hold to the ball they will be dangerous.
I believe boyle Co has always been on top in 3A
torQQue Wrote:Henry Clay is a powerhouse this year. I looks them to win the 4A state championship.. This is one of the most athletic teams I ever seen at a high school level. If they can learn to hold to the ball they will be dangerous.

Henry Clay is loaded this year and the Boyle Co. game will tell us a lot about them because Belfry is way down right now. However I think we will see Henry Clay in Louisville playing St. Xavier for the AAAA championship.
I'm going with Gish...Pikeville is a regional powerhouse, but they've not been a state powerhouse for well over a decade...
State Powerhouses:
1. Trinity
2. Highlands
3. Beechwood
4. St. Xavier
5. Male
6. Danville

These are the only true state powerhouses in the state. They are consistently a top 3 team in their class. They dominate in state finals appearances. They consistently play up in class if they are smaller, and play tough out of state competition if they are 4A.

If you wanted to go with traditional strong teams then you could find Belfry, Breathitt County, Newport Central Catholic, Boyle County, Mayfield, Hopkinsville, Bardstown, Bell County, and Bowlign Green. These are teams with consistent state title contenders and the state title appearances to boot. Five years ago Pikeville would fit in this group,,, but not now, they would be right on the outskirts of this group with the likes of Russell, Ashland, Paducah Tilghman, Rockcastle County, Manual, etc.
torQQue Wrote:Henry Clay is a powerhouse this year. I looks them to win the 4A state championship.. This is one of the most athletic teams I ever seen at a high school level. If they can learn to hold to the ball they will be dangerous.

Henry Clay has a good football team, but i dont think they can Beat Trinity or Saint X this season.