Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MARK MAYNARD: Goldsmith’s bond to two unbeatens
DANVILLE — Boone Goldsmith has a bond with two of Kentucky’s undefeated Class 4A high school football teams.

He’s the quarterback of one, Boyle County.

And many of his friends have been part of another at Lawrence County, where he went to school from seventh grade through his sophomore year.

“I call one of them after about every game,” he said. “Those guys are some of my best friends. Ben Preston is a real good friend. I talked to him the other day.

“I think they’ll go undefeated (in the regular season). They really kicked it up. I’m happy for them.”

Four years ago, Boone Goldsmith was the starting quarterback for the Bulldogs when his father Billy Goldsmith was the head coach.

He’s waited his turn at Boyle County, taking over the reins his senior season.

“We’ve got a good team up here, real good defense,” he said.

And not a bad offense either.

Goldsmith has completed 49 of 83 passes for 926 yards and nine touchdowns. He’s also run for eight TDs in a spread offense that features Mr. Football candidate Rees McShara, who has 1,386 yards rushing and 18 TDs.

McShara averages 16 yards per carry for the Rebels, who face undefeated West Jessamine on Friday night.

Boone does his part, too. He threw for 302 yards and three touchdowns and ran for two more TDs in a win over Lafayette two weeks ago. Boone was named Lexington Channel 18’s Player of the Week.

The offensive line averages only 195 pounds but they’re plenty tough.

“They play with a lot of heart and play hard,” said Billy Goldsmith, who is an assistant on the Boyle County staff. “They remind me of the kids at Lawrence County with how hard they work.”

Billy Goldsmith is proud of how his son has matured and developed. Boone is now enjoying the fruits of that patience with solid play on one of the state’s best teams regardless of class.

The goal at Boyle County is always to win a state championship. Anything less is not good enough.

“They don’t hang banners for winning regional here,” Boone said.

The Rebels were undefeated going into last year’s state semifinals against Bell County but were stunned 17-15.

“We had six turnovers,” Billy Goldsmith said. “We’d played mistake-free all year. Like Boone said, we don’t hang up banners for regional championships. We lost receivers and defensive backs but everybody is getting better every week.”

That stinging loss to Bell County left the Rebels with a 13-1 record and an empty feeling.

“It kind of left us hungry, wanting to do better,” Boone said.

Boyle County’s 49-7 victory over Johnson Central in the season opener was especially gratifying for the Goldsmiths, simply because of the previous rivalry with them from their days at Lawrence County.

“Me and Dad were pretty excited about that one,” Boone said. “I looked forward to it. Everybody wants to beat them.”

Of course, Boyle County does a good job of beating everybody. The Rebels are ranked No.1 in the AP’s Class 4A poll. Lawrence County is ranked No. 6.

It’s possible the Rebels and Bulldogs could meet in the playoffs in the state semifinals. There are obstacles for both teams along the way, including No. 2 Bell County for Lawrence County.

Boyle and Lawrence have similar numbers so far. The Bulldogs have outscored foes 340-83 and Boyle 328-64.

“It’d be good for both teams because we’d both be in the semifinals,” Boone said.

“It’d be awesome, it would,” added his father. “I’m so proud of the season they’re having. We call every week. Joey Cecil still coaches there and we talk four or five times a week.

“We never really leave that place.”

The Goldsmiths will be scoreboard-watching on Friday night when Lawrence County plays Rowan County, essentially for the district championship.

Billy and Boone also have ties to Rowan County, where Billy taught for several years. He remembers coaching Darrell Cross and T.J. Chin in their middle school years.

Also, the position Goldsmith has at Boyle County was the one that became vacant when ShaDon Brown became the head coach at Rowan County.

A small world indeed.
Great story and good luck to both teams. Boyle Co. is fortunate to have Boone and Billy.
Boone has turned out to be a good athlete. He is a great young man. I think in Lawrence County he had alot of pressure and was ridiculed for his play. He wasn't given time to mature like he has at Boyle. I'm really happy for him and Billy. Good luck guys!
All the Lawrence County fans I talked to was looking forward to having Boone. To bad he is playing at Boyle County this year but I wish him the best. He is a good kid. Billy Goldsmith will always be a legend in Lawrence County.
WildDawg Wrote:All the Lawrence County fans I talked to was looking forward to having Boone. To bad he is playing at Boyle County this year but I wish him the best. He is a good kid. Billy Goldsmith will always be a legend in Lawrence County.

Nice article. Thanks for posting.
I think if Billy had remained at LC straight threw instead it would have been different this last time around. However, when he returned everyone thought he would immediately bring LC back and it was just going to take time. I don't think anyone realized how far LC had fallen until and set expectations to high to soon when Billy returned and with Boone being at QB he took even more pressure. If LC doesn't win it all I sure do hope the Goldsmiths and Boyle do so.
this is a cool thread
pretty awesome
Cool story.

On a side note it is funny how everyone gives the 6 turnover excuse for the loss to Bell last year. What they don't mention is how the Bell defense forced those turnovers with HUGE hits and QB hurries/sacks. That defense last year was on a mission to win.
Bobcat_Dad Wrote:Cool story.

On a side note it is funny how everyone gives the 6 turnover excuse for the loss to Bell last year. What they don't mention is how the Bell defense forced those turnovers with HUGE hits and QB hurries/sacks. That defense last year was on a mission to win.
And in a 17-15 game it looks like Boyle county's defense was far superior to Bell's.
Rebs! Rebs! Rebs!
Cool Story!
This thread isnt about Bell and Boyle, please quit talking about it? Thanks
Not to get ahead of our selves but how sweet it would be to play Boyle CO in the Semi's. The Goldsmiths will always be a part of our community. There is no one anymore craizer and loves football than Billy Goldsmith!! We follow Boyle Co each week hoping for the "W" for them. We also are so excited to see Boone having such a Great Year!! You can take football out of it and just talk about the Goldsmiths, and see what a Great family they are. It is great to see Good things happen to good people!! Good luck Boone and Billy!!
Yeah Billy and Boone are great people, what a story it would be if they play. Nothing against Luke, he is the man, but would have liked to see Boone at Lawrence playing 3 sports. Good Luck to Boyle and Lawrence Co.
Good luck Boone and Billy! You will always be apart of Lawrence County! Love and miss you guys!
Hotshot Wrote:Boone has turned out to be a good athlete. He is a great young man. I think in Lawrence County he had alot of pressure and was ridiculed for his play. He wasn't given time to mature like he has at Boyle. I'm really happy for him and Billy. Good luck guys!

Seems like I remember on this very board the Lawrence fan battle cry being Chandler, Chandler, Chandler. And efforts of forming a lynch mob against Billy were under way.

Funny how so many Lawrence fans are now saying they were both the greatest things since sliced bread. Go figure!!!

I think CatDawg has the right analogy to the story.
Best wishes to Boone and Billy, I know both of them and the whole family. Not a bad word has ever came out of my mouth about them.They are class acts, and Boone is a heck of a quarterback
Billy and Boone will always have a place with the Dawg Family. Good luck to them in thier season.
Don't recall no battle cry Hank, just Boone and Colt, one of these guys should have been the QB. Hayden has stepped up and has done a great job, he looks as good as anyone around here on some pass plays.
I know Billy Goldsmith. I can remember when he coach with Chief Gorrell.
Billy played at Morehead State. I have not seen his son play, but I hope he looks at the Eagles next year. Billy has a great enthuisum for the game and the players.
Bobcat_Dad Wrote:Cool story.

Now there's one out of left field. What does that have to do with anything?
BluegrassBuckeye Wrote:Now there's one out of left field. What does that have to do with anything?

It has nothing to do with LC and BC bond with QB Goldsmith. Just another Bobcat fan thinking that a High School football thread MUST have their 2 cents in it.
Two words come to mind about the Goldsmith's "Good People"

The kids love Billy, He's great with them, and the way I see it. If the kids are happy, I am happy. My daughter says he is very well like with all the students at BCHS. Boyle is blessed to have the Goldsmith's! :Thumbs:
The Dawg Wrote:Not to get ahead of our selves but how sweet it would be to play Boyle CO in the Semi's. The Goldsmiths will always be a part of our community. There is no one anymore craizer and loves football than Billy Goldsmith!! We follow Boyle Co each week hoping for the "W" for them. We also are so excited to see Boone having such a Great Year!! You can take football out of it and just talk about the Goldsmiths, and see what a Great family they are. It is great to see Good things happen to good people!! Good luck Boone and Billy!!

:Thumbs: We love the Goldsmiths here in Boyle County also. And you are so right about Billy. He is really great with all the players. He has to be one of the funniest coach I have ever been around. He can really fire those kids up!! They are a wonderful family.