Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LCC JV 38 New Harlan JV 20
LCC's JV team went across the Mountain and won a gutsy game against a very good New Harlan JV team tonight. The defense really stepped up in the 2nd half and completely changed the tone of the game. Hats off the Coach Sergent. The only problem I have is the offensive coordinator for LCC's JV team still remains true to his East Letcher roots. (Former middle school coach). While the former E. L. backs did a wonderful job running the ball (I certainly don't want to take anything away from their effort), its amazing how that several other players with tremendous offensive talent but didn't play for him at the middle school level, never see the ball on offense. I know this has been debated before but it's true. I don't know if he cut his teeth with these guys and doesn't trust the other players to run in his system or what! If Howard had only ran Whitesburg players at the middle school level when they consolidated, he would have been lynched. Running, passing, whatever, 99% goes to his former players. If you don't believe me, watch them play sometime. How does the varsity level improve if other players don't get the chance to show their skills as well? I'm sure Whitaker would like to see ALL his players have a chance to play and improve.
No. 3 is a great back. I remember from the freshman game last year.
Belvedere Wrote:LCC's JV team went across the Mountain and won a gutsy game against a very good New Harlan JV team tonight. The defense really stepped up in the 2nd half and completely changed the tone of the game. Hats off the Coach Sergent. The only problem I have is the offensive coordinator for LCC's JV team still remains true to his East Letcher roots. (Former middle school coach). While the former E. L. backs did a wonderful job running the ball (I certainly don't want to take anything away from their effort), its amazing how that several other players with tremendous offensive talent but didn't play for him at the middle school level, never see the ball on offense. I know this has been debated before but it's true. I don't know if he cut his teeth with these guys and doesn't trust the other players to run in his system or what! If Howard had only ran Whitesburg players at the middle school level when they consolidated, he would have been lynched. Running, passing, whatever, 99% goes to his former players. If you don't believe me, watch them play sometime. How does the varsity level improve if other players don't get the chance to show their skills as well? I'm sure Whitaker would like to see ALL his players have a chance to play and improve.

Interesting very interesting..............
Nice win Cougars..
Great win by the cougars. Can someone please post the scores of the JV and Freshman so far this year, and the rest of the schedule?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
It was not New Harlan LCC played. That is a middleschool team. It was Harlan County Black Bears HS JV team. Evarts and Cumberland players are involved there too.
They scored 38 on a quality opponent....... I imagine they could have scored 100 if they had given the ball to the good backs.

On a sane note, I haven't gotten to see LCC's JV play this year. Sounds like they're rolling.
Maybe some of you football geniuses could shed light on what other backs should be running the ball. Better than that, why don't you guys go talk to coach whitaker and coach howard about this, to make sure some kids aren't getting shafted. It would be ashame if the coach is not playing the best players. They are the ones who place the kids in the postions they play. The Freshman class is a very gifted class, but there are only so many running backs you can use. Cody Conn has been out with a broke hand, Trevor has a pulled hammy, Sam had the flu. Tyree never comes off the field on D and plays the slot. They have a new QB, who is learning the system. I would imagine that any coach in the eastern ky would be tickled to death to have Taylor and bentley in the backfield, it wouldn't matter if they were members of the Taliban they would be playing! Maybe next game we can have the parents vote for the starting line-up and see how that goes.
First off, I have no dogs in this fight but would like to make a few comments on the subject. The two running backs are both very good players, and even more important good kids. Second, this is not the first time this subject has been brought up so it does make you wonder, I would hope it is not true, but there appears to be smoke. Third, does anyone really think a parent can go to any coach and say something like this and feel comfortable about the way their child would be treated........Get real!!!!!!!!!!Belvedere does not say it was only running backs but skilled positions.......So is he complaining about the QB or receivers? Did LCC throw a lot the other night and if so to whom was the ball thrown? If we can look back over the last couple of years and see a pattern then there could be a problem, if not the problem is in the stands. Either way it is bad.........
Guy's, let's be careful of where this discussion is headed. Keep to the topic at hand. Otherwise plase take it to PM.
Belvedere Wrote:LCC's JV team went across the Mountain and won a gutsy game against a very good New Harlan JV team tonight. The defense really stepped up in the 2nd half and completely changed the tone of the game. Hats off the Coach Sergent. The only problem I have is the offensive coordinator for LCC's JV team still remains true to his East Letcher roots. (Former middle school coach). While the former E. L. backs did a wonderful job running the ball (I certainly don't want to take anything away from their effort), its amazing how that several other players with tremendous offensive talent but didn't play for him at the middle school level, never see the ball on offense. I know this has been debated before but it's true. I don't know if he cut his teeth with these guys and doesn't trust the other players to run in his system or what! If Howard had only ran Whitesburg players at the middle school level when they consolidated, he would have been lynched. Running, passing, whatever, 99% goes to his former players. If you don't believe me, watch them play sometime. How does the varsity level improve if other players don't get the chance to show their skills as well? I'm sure Whitaker would like to see ALL his players have a chance to play and improve.

we have the same problem over here in harlan. we feel your pain.
cheeseforme Wrote:Maybe some of you football geniuses could shed light on what other backs should be running the ball. Better than that, why don't you guys go talk to coach whitaker and coach howard about this, to make sure some kids aren't getting shafted. It would be ashame if the coach is not playing the best players. They are the ones who place the kids in the postions they play. The Freshman class is a very gifted class, but there are only so many running backs you can use. Cody Conn has been out with a broke hand, Trevor has a pulled hammy, Sam had the flu. Tyree never comes off the field on D and plays the slot. They have a new QB, who is learning the system. I would imagine that any coach in the eastern ky would be tickled to death to have Taylor and bentley in the backfield, it wouldn't matter if they were members of the Taliban they would be playing! Maybe next game we can have the parents vote for the starting line-up and see how that goes.

OMG--I love this guy!!:worthy:
Who is the qb? and who is the center? they both seem to be very solid experienced players, do they every play v?