Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
C-J class of 2011 rankings

1. Chane Behanan, Bowling Green, 6-7: He's a beast. I'd say he's the best prospect of any class in the state. Ranked among the top 100 in his class nationally.
  2. George Fant, Warren Central, 6-6 (photo, right): Will need to work on his outside shot for the next level, but a load to handle in the high school game.
  3. Remy Abell, Eastern, 6-3: Drew a lot of praise from high-level Division I coaches for his play late this summer. If he keeps improving and growns a bit, could turn out to be a little better than a mid-major player.
  4. Treg Setty, Mason County, 6-8: Growth spurt and hard work helped him rise in the rankings. Setty is long, can shoot the three-pointer and very heady.
  5. Robbie Stenzel, Clark County, 6-4: A big-time shooter and still the most consistent and smartest player statewide in this class.
  6. Vinny Zollo, Clark County, 6-8: Look for his second year in the state to be big time. He really made a lot of strides during the offseason.
  7. Josh Forrest, Paducah Tilghman, 6-4: Don't forget him. He's from Western Kentucky and not a ton of hype but he's a player with a lot of skills.
  8. Jordan Shanklin, Warren Central, 5-11: Injury ended his high school season and slowed him in the offseason. He's tough to handle when he's 100 percent.
  9. Ryan Fucci, Tates Creek, 6-2: Really improved from this time last year and will make Tates Creek a serious contender in the 11th Region.
  10. Timmy Knipp, Elliott County, 6-7: Left to do a lot of work for the Lions - who lost four starters. Knipp can shoot it and handle it well for a big man.
  11. Marcellus Barksdale, Tates Creek, 6-2.
  12. Trey Williams, Greenup County, 6-7.
  13. Lyonell Gaines, Eastern, 6-4.
  14. Leonard Smith, Fulton City, 6-5.
  15. Donovan Kates, Christian County, 6-5.
  16. Armon Marks, Eastern, 6-3.
  17. Scott Schuette, Lexington Catholic, 6-4.
  18. Damien Elam, Russellville, 5-10.
  19. Jake McClanahan, East Ridge, 6-8.
  20. Kyle King, Deming, 6-1.
  21. Ryan Hudson, University Heights, 6-4.
  22. Taylor Martin, Lexington Catholic, 6-4.
  23. Josh Stroud, Fairdale, 6-5.
  24. Kevin Shaw, Seneca, 6-2.
  25. Jordan Gilbert, Mason County, 5-11.

BEST OF THE REST:

Kellen Smith, Scott High; Tanner Napier, Lafayette; Anthony Hickey, Christian County; Seth Beckham, Lexington Catholic; Martez Harris, Seneca; Devonte Bradley, Cooper; Matt Tramell, Dixie Heights; Kameron Woods, Eastern; Jermaine Jackson, Iroquois; Jake Geisler, Newport Central Catholic; Travis Civilis, Madisonville; Neal Pawsatt, Mason County; Travis Purvis, Clark County; Brock Simmons, Calloway County; Corey Rogers, Clark County; Kevon Rice, Covington Holmes; Luke King, Deming; Jay Middleton, Ballard Memorial; Bobby Stauffer, Ryle; Jacob Flesch, Conner; Chancellor Armstrong, Trinity; Walter Alexander, Seneca; Desmond Brown, Central; Jesse Anderson, Graves County; Antone Warren, Fern Creek (a 6-foot-10 sleeper).
I can't agree with these rankings. I have seen all of the top 11 play many times during the season and/or alot in AAU this summer, all except Josh Forrest, Paducah Tilghman. So I will not include him in my rankings.

I would rank them:

1. Remy Abell, Eastern
2. Chane Behanan, Bowling Green
3. Vinny Zollo, GRC
4. George Fant, Warren Central,
5. Robbie Stenzel, GRC
6. Ryan Fucci, Tates Creek,
7. Timmy Knipp, Elliott County
8. Jordan Shanklin, Warren Central
9. Marcellus Barksdale, Tates Creek
10.Treg Setty, Mason County,

Not in the rankings, but will be next year is Travis Purvis of GRC. Not ranked as he missed all last year and AAU this summer.
Gold Charger Wrote:I can't agree with these rankings. I have seen all of the top 11 play many times during the season and/or alot in AAU this summer, all except Josh Forrest, Paducah Tilghman. So I will not include him in my rankings.

I would rank them:

1. Remy Abell, Eastern
3. Vinny Zollo, GRC
5. Robbie Stenzel, GRC

Not in the rankings, but will be next year is Travis Purvis of GRC. Not ranked as he missed all last year and AAU this summer.

Chane Behanan is the best player in Kentucky for any class.
tezzy859 Wrote:Chane Behanan is the best player in Kentucky for any class.

You are out of your mind! Three names: Ricardo Johnson, Ge'lawn Guyn, Elijah Pittman. Stop all your Hype! Maybe next year but right now, no way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
goldenrule19 Wrote:You are out of your mind! Three names: Ricardo Johnson, Ge'lawn Guyn, Elijah Pittman. Stop all your Hype! Maybe next year but right now, no way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm a Holmes fan, why would I hype a guy from Bowling Green? I'm giving you an honest opinion. The kid is a beast.[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC-69GW0J8A&feature=related"]YouTube - Chane Behanan- adidas Nations 2009[/ame]
Behanan is better than Johnson, Pittman and Guyn. As tezzy said, best player in the state, in all classes, hands down. It isn't hype. It's very very legit.
goldenrule19 Wrote:You are out of your mind! Three names: Ricardo Johnson, Ge'lawn Guyn, Elijah Pittman. Stop all your Hype! Maybe next year but right now, no way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Behanan is hands down the best player in the state for any class. Heck, he was one of the top 10 players in the state of Ohio last year as a sophomore and #1 in his class. The talent is much better in Ohio than over here in KY. The only thing Pittman has on him is an outside shot and a better ball handler. Down low, Behanan is stronger, more physical, and has better post moves.

Can't really compare Guyn and R. Johnson to him since they play different positions, but from a recruiting stand point, Behanan is a much bigger prospect than both. The kid's strength is unreal for his age. He is also physically more developed than anyone else around the state.
Gold Charger Wrote:I can't agree with these rankings. I have seen all of the top 11 play many times during the season and/or alot in AAU this summer, all except Josh Forrest, Paducah Tilghman. So I will not include him in my rankings.

I would rank them:

1. Remy Abell, Eastern
3. Vinny Zollo, GRC

5. Robbie Stenzel, GRC

Zollo is solid but I wouldn't have him ahead of Fant...and I definetly wouldn't have Abell ahead of Behanan.

I think Demling pretty much hit the nail on the head with his rankings. I do agree that Setty was too high at #4, however he did have a HUGE summer.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Zollo is solid but I wouldn't have him ahead of Fant...and I definetly wouldn't have Abell ahead of Behanan.

I think Demling pretty much hit the nail on the head with his rankings. I do agree that Setty was too high at #4, however he did have a HUGE summer.

Zollo has finally gotten over his broken leg and much stronger. If you haven't seen him play lately then I could see why you have that opinion. I watched him and Fant both alot this summer and Zollo was really impressing college coaches.

Abell impressed me more that any player I saw from Ky this summer, and that includes Behanan.
Setty didn't have a good summer till the Vegas tourney. He played on like 4 AAU teams. At the KBA, he was a non factor. At the Cinny tourney he was laying on the floor opposite his team and saw very little PT. He should have been on the bench supporting his teammates.

As you stated in another thread, I too am looking at college material,which is why I have the above opinions.
Gold Charger Wrote:Zollo has finally gotten over his broken leg and much stronger. If you haven't seen him play lately then I could see why you have that opinion. I watched him and Fant both alot this summer and Zollo was really impressing college coaches.

Abell impressed me more that any player I saw from Ky this summer, and that includes Behanan.
Setty didn't have a good summer till the Vegas tourney. He played on like 4 AAU teams. At the KBA, he was a non factor. At the Cinny tourney he was laying on the floor opposite his team and saw very little PT. He should have been on the bench supporting his teammates.

As you stated in another thread, I too am looking at college material,which is why I have the above opinions.

Fair enough, but I just think Fant's game translates to the next level better than Zollo's. Fant has more athleticism and can play multiple positions at the next level whereas Zollo will strictly be a 3 or 4 on a team that primarily runs half court sets. He doesn't have the ability to guard more athletic players out on the wing the way Fant can. Zollo does rebound extremely well though.

As far as Abell/Behanan, when it comes down to it, I think everyone around the state will realize why Behanan is receiving the attention that he is. The kid is unreal. If I had to rank them, I'd probably go with this:

1. Chane Behanan
2. Remy Abell
3. George Fant
4. Robbie Stenzel
5. Vinny Zollo
6. Marcellus Barksdale
7. Jordan Shanklin
8. Ryan Fucci
9. Treg Setty
10. Timmy Knipp
kywldcat01 Wrote:Zollo is solid but I wouldn't have him ahead of Fant...and I definetly wouldn't have Abell ahead of Behanan.

kywldcat01 Wrote:Fair enough, but I just think Fant's game translates to the next level better than Zollo's. Fant has more athleticism and can play multiple positions at the next level whereas Zollo will strictly be a 3 or 4 on a team that primarily runs half court sets. He doesn't have the ability to guard more athletic players out on the wing the way Fant can. Zollo does rebound extremely well though.

As far as Abell/Behanan, when it comes down to it, I think everyone around the state will realize why Behanan is receiving the attention that he is. The kid is unreal. If I had to rank them, I'd probably go with this:

1. Chane Behanan
2. Remy Abell
3. George Fant
4. Robbie Stenzel
5. Vinny Zollo
6. Marcellus Barksdale
7. Jordan Shanklin
8. Ryan Fucci
9. Treg Setty
10. Timmy Knipp
Zollo has really improved his speed now that he is healthy. Did you see him play this summer? What I like about Zollo is his ability to shoot the 3, but also take it to the basket. I too think he is a better rebounder and plays smarter. He has really hit the weight room and runs 3 miles each day. His work ethic is unreal for a kid his age. Both are very good players and will play high level D-1.
Gold Charger Wrote:Zollo has really improved his speed now that he is healthy. Did you see him play this summer? What I like about Zollo is his ability to shoot the 3, but also take it to the basket. I too think he is a better rebounder and plays smarter. He has really hit the weight room and runs 3 miles each day. His work ethic is unreal for a kid his age. Both are very good players and will play high level D-1.

That's all that matters. :Thumbs:
Knipp is way underrated. I'd have to put him top 3. They have him rated behind Zollo which is a joke in my book. He'd eat Zollo alive imo.
Warriors23RJ Wrote:Knipp is way underrated. I'd have to put him top 3. They have him rated behind Zollo which is a joke in my book. He'd eat Zollo alive imo.

Knipp is a good ball player but not near as good as Zollo.

The only thing Knipp does better than Vinny is handle the ball. Zollo is better in every other area of the game. Knipp really struggles defensively against kids his own size. See the state tournament against Holmes last year. Elijah Pittman abused him down low.

TK is top 10 for sure in his class but not top 3. No way he's better than Behanan, Abell, Fant, Zollo, or Stenzel. After those 5 you could make an argument for him, but not top 3 or top 5.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Knipp is a good ball player but not near as good as Zollo.

The only thing Knipp does better than Vinny is handle the ball. Zollo is better in every other area of the game. Knipp really struggles defensively against kids his own size. See the state tournament against Holmes last year. Elijah Pittman abused him down low.

TK is top 10 for sure in his class but not top 3. No way he's better than Behanan, Abell, Fant, Zollo, or Stenzel. After those 5 you could make an argument for him, but not top 3 or top 5.
I have to respectfully disagree. Although I agree he's no where close to Behanan I don't see anyone else on the list that's better than him maybe equal but not better. As for Zollo I do love his game and work Ethic(Something he has on Knipp). But I also think He has been overhyped since his previous Commitment to UK. Knipp is like you said a better Ball handler, a better athlete, equal or better shooter, and Played on a better more talented team last season. Knipp also has more experience on the big stage and in big games. I will agree with you about the "D". Although if you watched Holmes play alot Pittman Basically killed everyone at his posistion all season but with a little added strength his D will progress. I've seen both play and if I had my pick I'd take Knipp 9 times out of 10.
Warriors23RJ Wrote:I have to respectfully disagree. Although I agree he's no where close to Behanan I don't see anyone else on the list that's better than him maybe equal but not better. As for Zollo I do love his game and work Ethic(Something he has on Knipp). But I also think He has been overhyped since his previous Commitment to UK. Knipp is like you said a better Ball handler, a better athlete, equal or better shooter, and Played on a better more talented team last season. Knipp also has more experience on the big stage and in big games. I will agree with you about the "D". Although if you watched Holmes play alot Pittman Basically killed everyone at his posistion all season but with a little added strength his D will progress. I've seen both play and if I had my pick I'd take Knipp 9 times out of 10.

Fair enough...good assessment of Knipp. I just personally think Abell, Zollo, and Stenzel are better prospects than Knipp. The one thing he lacks big time that all of the other players mentioned have is strength. I think that's what separates Behanan, Abell, Zollo, and Stenzel from Knipp. I agree that Knipp played on a better team, but it could also be said that he played so well because he constantly had other good players setting him up. Very rarely did he have to produce by himself. It will be interesting to see how he does this season with teams actually keying on him.

We obviously disagree on whose better, but hopefully these kids will meet down the road and it will be settled on the court. :Thumbs:
kywldcat01 Wrote:Fair enough...good assessment of Knipp. I just personally think Abell, Zollo, and Stenzel are better prospects than Knipp. The one thing he lacks big time that all of the other players mentioned have is strength. I think that's what separates Behanan, Abell, Zollo, and Stenzel from Knipp. I agree that Knipp played on a better team, but it could also be said that he played so well because he constantly had other good players setting him up. Very rarely did he have to produce by himself. It will be interesting to see how he does this season with teams actually keying on him.

We obviously disagree on whose better, but hopefully these kids will meet down the road and it will be settled on the court. :Thumbs:
That would be nice to see and hopefully some of the matchups will happen. You and I could go back and forth all night but the best way to know for sure is to let the kids settle it on the floor and in game situations.:Thumbs:
Warriors23RJ Wrote:That would be nice to see and hopefully some of the matchups will happen. You and I could go back and forth all night but the best way to know for sure is to let the kids settle it on the floor and in game situations.:Thumbs:

Eastern and GRC will both be in the King of the Bluegrass so that should be a nice time for the kids to really show what they have early in the season.
Happy to see that Jacob McClanahan made the list. With a new coach I look for him to improve so much from last season but he was hitting good numbers for a sophomore then. Glad to see him representing the 15th on that list.
thetribe Wrote:Happy to see that Jacob McClanahan made the list. With a new coach I look for him to improve so much from last season but he was hitting good numbers for a sophomore then. Glad to see him representing the 15th on that list.

McClanahan is a kid I heard about a lot last year from that part of the state., I look forward to seeing what he does this year.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Knipp is a good ball player but not near as good as Zollo.

If you honestly think Zollo shoots it better than Knipp I don't know what to tell you......... As far as the Holmes game at Rupp last year. Put Zollo on Elliott's team in place of Knipp, how much better do you think he would have faired???? I think Knipp being the only starter over 6' 2" played outstanding against a much bigger and deeper frontline.......Who else did Elliott have inside against Holmes?