Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gary Stewart
Gary Stewart (May 28, 1944 – December 16, 2003)[1] was a country musician and songwriter known for his distinctive vibrato voice and his southern rock influenced, outlaw country sound. During the peak of his popularity in the mid-1970s Time magazine described him as the "king of honkytonk."[2]

Do you like his music?
Never heard of him.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ComfortEagle Wrote:Never heard of him.

He is originally from Letcher Co. and had a really unique voice. He produced a couple of really big country hits in the 70's.
He is my dads second cousin..he stayed with them (mom and dad) a night when he performed at Jenkins Days in '99..Love his music. My favs are Rainin' Rainin' Rainin', and Shes actin single (Im drinkin doubles)..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I am also related to him TH32...
ComfortEagle Wrote:Never heard of him.

Don't tell anyone lol!!!

Gary Stewart is a legend.
Went to high school at jenkins right?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
jetpilot Wrote:Don't tell anyone lol!!!

Gary Stewart is a legend.

Looked at his Wikipedia and might have heard some of his songs, but didn't recognize any of them by name.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ComfortEagle Wrote:Looked at his Wikipedia and might have heard some of his songs, but didn't recognize any of them by name.

Listen on youtube and you will immediately recognize his voice. It is like no other.
His song "Brandy New Whiskey" is about one of my friends' mother.
TH32!!!! No wonder I like you so much! I have a friend who was a dear friend to Gary and I love his music! I'll post some of his best Youtube stuff on here! Enjoy!
Make no mistake Gary Stewart was the King of the Honky Tonks!
RIGHT ON DW!!! Greatest honkytonk singer of all time!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
My favorite is "She's Got a Drinkin' Problem (And It's Me)", but it isn't on youtube. "Empty Glass" is a classic also...
"Out of hand" and "Some room above the street" are my 2 favorites.
I love his music.

Say has anyone ever heard that song he sung about drinking? LOL!
Gary sang a song about drinking?? NO WAY! Seriously though..he stayed with my parents when he performed at Jenkins days in '99, and I hadnt remembered him. I was only 2 or 3 the last time I had seen him before that, but when I went up to mom and dads, I stayed there all night, and he would pick the guitar, and sang all night. Him and dad told stories about the 70s, lol..He drank and drank and drank, but never got drunk, LOL...I had never seen anything like it. He told me about him seeing me right after I was born and what a huge baby I was (I was 13 lbs 2 oz at birth), and wanted me to come down to his home the next time I had a vacation. I asked him to sing my two favorites from him, but I also liked his version of Ramblin Man from the Allman Bros. He sang some Skynyrd, Tucker, everything. He told me about hanging out with Skynyrd, and about how cool and down to earth they were (I am the biggest Skynyrd fan on earth, lol). It was a GREAT night. I always knew I was related to him, but I didnt remember him, although I had almost all of his music. He was so down to earth and just plain cool. One of the nicest guys Ive ever met to this DAY. I kept in touch with him and his daughter through email over the years. But when Gary lost his wife, Gary lost his mind, and couldnt deal with it. He was the quintessential nice guy that grew up with nothing, and made it big. I miss Gary..if anybody on this site never got the chance to meet him, he truly was a gentleman, and a credit to society.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:I love his music.

Say has anyone ever heard that song he sung about drinking? LOL!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Saw him twice at Marlow's. I used to love his music, but haven't listened any in awhile. Had a couple of drinks in the office in between sets with him and Marlow. A very nice guy the time I met him at Marlow's. I think the name of the cd I have is "The greatest Hits". It's put away right now.
Gary was once staying with a couple of friends of mine and aquired a toothache. They were patients at the dental office where my wife works. So they called the office and asked if they could send their friend from out of town to the office to get checked out. Gary ended up needing a root canal so the Dr decided to hook him up and take care of it then and there.
Gary left in better shape than he arrived but stiffed the Dr on the bill in textbook outlaw fashion! Love that story!
My favorite Gary Stewart song....Empty Glass

I like listening to his music.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Sounds good.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]