Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is the Greatest NBA Center of all-time
58fan Wrote:Stardust, I have to disagree with you on one point. The greatest outlet pass in the game ever belonged to Wes Unseld
That's a pretty good point. Unseld should probably be in the conversation as well.
When Wilt Chamberlain was in high school, he had a unique way of shooting free-throws. He would stand at the top of the key, throw the ball up toward the basket, take two steps, jump toward the rim and jam the ball through the net. Doing this resulted in basketball rules to state that a player cannot cross the plane of the free-throw line when shooting a free-throw.

When Lew Alcindor started playing basketball in college for UCLA, the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) officials felt that he was too dominant a player--one who could dunk the ball at will. They felt he would be unstoppable, so they changed the rules to forbid dunking in college games. This was called the "Alcindor Rule."

George Mikan - In the NBA, he controlled the area around the basket to such a degree that the league widened the free throw lane and initiated the 3-second rule to give other players a chance.
easiely bill russel i mean is thier anymore centers with 9 championships
58fan Wrote:Stardust, I have to disagree with you on one point. The greatest outlet pass in the game ever belonged to Wes Unseld

Hey, Hey Hey - We have someone who knows the game here. No doubt that Wes was an incredible outlet passer, and may have been the best outlet passer. But I'll take a guy 7-3 making the outlet pass over a 6-7 guy......TongueirateSho
Mr.Kimball Wrote:That's a pretty good point. Unseld should probably be in the conversation as well.

Mr. K, let's not get carried away now:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Great question about Lew Alcindor. I will Say that Lew was the greatest college center of all time (though most will say Walton), but Kareem was the greatest NBA center of all time. Agree???? :biggrin:
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Ah, your kiddin!!!!TongueirateSho

I assume you are not one of the youngsters (primaily wildcat23) that the question was aimed at to try to stump. haha

Artis Gilmore wasn't too shabby either. Nobody has mentioned him. Played most of his prime years in the ABA, but had some good years in the NBA as well.

hmm, how did i get in this lol? i just asked a questtion. i always heard that wilt and russel was men among boys
Elvin Hayes wasnt bad either..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Stardust Wrote:Mr. K, let's not get carried away now:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Great question about Lew Alcindor. I will Say that Lew was the greatest college center of all time (though most will say Walton), but Kareem was the greatest NBA center of all time. Agree???? :biggrin:
Lew Alcindor was a pretty good center for the Milwaukee Bucks for a couple of years too. Then all of a sudden he just vanished.:biggrin:
Wildcatk23 Wrote:hmm, how did i get in this lol? i just asked a questtion. i always heard that wilt and russel was men among boys
Ah, I was just kidding around with you. Nothing more.
All centers mentioned are the best that the NBA has seen!! I was also thinking, that in the next 5-10 years, will we be saying the Yao is one of the best centers? I think his health will be a issue as to how much he plays in years to come. Maybe need a chapionship? IDK, what does everyone think?
Stardust,
Was Unseld not list among the fifty greatest players of all time...I cannot remember, wasn't he also the first black recruited by UK
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Elvin Hayes wasnt bad either..

TH32 - Relax, I have yet to ask about Power Forwards!!!!! :biggrin:

:Thumbs:
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Lew Alcindor was a pretty good center for the Milwaukee Bucks for a couple of years too. Then all of a sudden he just vanished.:biggrin:

:Thumbs: :1:
lean&mean Wrote:Stardust,
Was Unseld not list among the fifty greatest players of all time...I cannot remember, wasn't he also the first black recruited by UK

I honestly don't beleive he was recruited by UK, but I certainly could be wrong. He went to louisville, but I thought there was bitterness that he was not recruited by UK.
lean&mean Wrote:Stardust,

It appears that Wes Unseld did not consider UK because he felt that Rupp had no interest in him as a player, but was only recruited by Rupp due to the schools pressurre on rupp to recruit a black. Unseld, Butch Beard, and Jim McDaniels were all recruited for ONE spot on UK. They all turned down UK to play at other colleges in the state of Kentucky.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Shattered backboards were made famous by Daryl Dawkins , not Shaq, if that is what you are trying to get at..

About how many times did you actually see Wilt play anyways? Matter of fact, how many that have posted in this thread has ever seen any of these guys (other than Shaq) ever play in a live game? Other than Stardust, I'm going to guess oh, probably somewhere around..................... zero. haha

I'll go with Russell.

:Thumbs:
Offensively-Kareem

Defensively-Russell

Total Package-Shaq
i personally believe different player brought different perspectives of the game
fundamentals-tim duncan
power-shaq
finesse-russell and kareem or alcindor by the way im 23 i just love bball though
post-olajuwon the guy could do anything
evidentiallly howard will be in these ranks i do believe anyone esle?
1. Wilt Chamberlain
2. Kareem Abdul - Jabbar
3.Hakeem Olajawon
4. Shaq
5.Dikemba Mutumbo
6.Moses Malone
1. Bill Russell
2. Wilt Chamberlain
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Hakeem Olajuwon
Bill Walton
Dan Issel
Robert Parish
Oscar Robertson (I don't know if he was a center or not)
Shaq
David Robinson
Moses Malone
George Miken
Just to name a few. They are not in any order but the first two....
1.Wilt Chamberlain
2.Kareem - Abdul Jabbar
3. Moses Malone
4. Shaq
5. Hakeem Olajuwon
6. Dikembe Mutombo
7. Pattrick Ewing
8.Bill Russell
9. Bill Walton
10.GEORGE MIKAN