Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rick Bolus ranks Kentucky HS players
Does anyone think Clint is a top 25 player in the state?
Aslan Wrote:Does anyone think Clint is a top 25 player in the state?

If you base it on last year he is not a top 20 player in the 14th region IMO.
Aslan Wrote:Does anyone think Clint is a top 25 player in the state?

IMO, doubt it.
kcc75 Wrote:If you base it on last year he is not a top 20 player in the 14th region IMO.

Don't be too hard on the boy. I'd say he's top 10 in the region and top 200 in state.
zulu Wrote:Don't be too hard on the boy. I'd say he's top 10 in the region and top 200 in state.

He's not top 10 in the region.
The only players that i have watched play that are on this list is Matt St. John and the boys from Scott Co. I'm not sure if St. John is in the top 25, and for sure he is not in the top 12. He is big and he put up some big numbers, but only against teams with small lineups and inferior opposition.
zulu Wrote:Don't be too hard on the boy. I'd say he's top 10 in the region and top 200 in state.
I really was not being mean about it but if you think about it did he have as good a year as say
PCC Maggard, Amis,Mullins,Amis,Noble
KCC Cox, Stamper, Caudill, Bartrum
LCC Proffitt, Blair, Banks
BH Blank, Day
JBS Howard, Hall, Collins
Couple Leslie players
Couple Lee players
Couple Estill players
ETC ETC
kywldcat01 Wrote:Again, I ask you this. Considering how good the c/o 2010 is with Pittman, Johnson, Johnson, Cosby, Sewell, Guyn, Jackson, St. John, and Gibbs, where does Knipp fit in the top 12?

He is rated the 5th best junior to be behind Stenzel, Zollo, Shanklin, and Fant. That's 12 right there that are better than him. Notice I didn't even mention players like Justice who absolutely torched EC, or Polson who led his team to a final 4...or even Colt Barnhill of East Carter who is widely regarded as the better player of the two and didn't even make the top 24 list. Again, Knipp is good, but NOT ONE ranking has Knipp rated above 4th in his class or as one of the top 12 players in the state. Personal opinions don't make that player top 12.

Let me put something in perspective for you...Jeremiah Johnson of Holmes is a mid major talent, so what makes you think Knipp is mid major? Knipp is no where near the player of JJ. Shelvin Mack of Bryan Station went to a mid major in Butler and to even try and compare Knipp to him is quite comical.
I don't think you realize how hard it is and how good you have to be, to be considered for a mid major program.

You also have to look at Knipp's build. Not many mid major programs are going to want a 6'7 170 lb kid that lacks strength tremendously, has suspect ball handling, and isn't a good enough outside threat to be a 2 or 3. Knipp wouldn't be able to play in the post because of his lack of strength. Smaller, quicker guards would give him fits.

And none of those teams you mentioned are even close to the talent of a Holmes or Scott Co, which is why you saw Knipp struggle the way he did when they played Holmes. You also have to realize Knipp's supporting cast he had around him. It's easy to average those types of numbers when you have 7,000 career points around you and you're the biggest kid on the floor the majority of the time. Ballard's biggest kid was 6'4 and if I remember correctly, he had a double double against EC. It's nice to have those numbers, but if you don't play any defense, which Knipp doesn't, it means squat.

I agree Knipp is talented....but he wouldn't see 30 minutes a night playing at any of the other schools I mentioned, which would cause his numbers to go down. I don't know how many times I have to stress that him playing in blow outs against inferior competition really swelled his numbers. He'd see maybe 15 mins a game at the other schools I mentioned and I doubt he'd be able to put up 15 and 8 in that amount of time. With Ferg and the Faulkners gone this year, you'll see him struggle mightily. He isn't good enough off the dribble to create his shot. A lot of his shots are set from the Faulkners penetrating and kicking out.

Yet again, you know everything, and you are correct. I guarantee you his numbers are better than a year ago, how could they not be?? But again BGR king, I am wrong, for you are right.

Dude are you serious? Who is recruiting Knipp right now? NOBODY. There's a reason players like Purvis and Zollo are already getting D1 looks...they're simply better. It's pure jealousy to say they aren't any good when they already have D1 offers as sophomores...and in Purvis case, he had an offer as a freshman, despite the program knowing he wouldn't play his sophomore year because of a torn ACL. Keep the name Travis Purvis in mind...you'll be hearing a lot about this 6'6 forward over the next two years and I guarantee you he ends up somewhere bigger than Knipp...along with Zollo, Stenzel, Shanklin, and Fant.

I would take Knipp over St. John any day, I would hope you would too. I have saw the two play a lot, and I will tell you Knipp is the better player. St John just looks so terrible, his post moves are just, wow. I will stop there.

Polson, Stenzel, and Fant are three guys I could see ahead of him. Justice is a good player, but the kid shot 8-28 or something like that in one of the state tourney games. Knipp is a tall kid who is lanky, and can really get to the goal and he can shoot. Zollo and St John can't shoot to save their lives.

Yes he is, and the two play two different spots. Johnson is a better scorer than Knipp, I wouldn't say better shooter though. Laugh if you want but that's my opinion. When did I ever compare Mack to Knipp?? When would I ever do that? Mack was the best high school player to come out of KY last year and to have a lot of success. Look at Hopson and Miller, in the high school season that year they were considered better players than Mack, look at how those two panned out compared to Mack. Not saying Miller and Hopson didn't have good years, but Mack had the best. Just because someone is expected to go to a higher D-1 school than another guy, doesn't mean jack diddle.

Sure, but by the time the summer before he heads off to college rolls around, you know Knipp will be in stronger shape then he is now. The kid is a sophomore, come on.

K, you know it all my friend. I'll stop right here. I hope Knipp goes to a mid major school, like a Morehead or EKU, and he completely doses, but even if he did that, even if he went to Kentucky and did that, you my friend, the king of kings on BGR, would still be right :Cheerlead

Yet again, you know everything, and you are correct. I guarantee you his numbers are better than a year ago, how could they not be?? But again BGR king, I am wrong, for you are right.

I heard Cali already dropped Zollo. I don't know if that's true or not, but that would be the smartest move KY basketball could make right now. Look at the guys Cali is bringing in right now, does Zollo compare to them?? Also Purvis, I have never heard of the kid. He must be a blockbuster player to already have a D-1 offer like Morehead sitting on his table after not playing a ******* second a year ago. I did see his page on rivals.com, he has offers from Gonzaga and Davidson, they said he could be the next Adam Morrison/Steph Curry type players.
zulu Wrote:Yes I am an idiot you're right. But, if I were a betting man (which I am) I would put about 1000000 bucks on it that the Stepps had something to do with it. How else do you explain it? He's not even mentioned in this region as a top 5 player. It just doesn't make sense.

Politics maybe? This region is ate up with it much more than any other in the state. Clark Stepp( sure say what you want, but this is true) was a top 5 scorer in the state, and he didn't come close to winning the regional player of the year award, Zack Hurt did. What did he do? It's all politics, Bolus just ranks the players how he sees them. I understand the Stepp ranking, but some of his others are just plain stupid..
Timmy Knipp is a legitimate D1 prospect
KnottCentralGuru Wrote:Politics maybe? This region is ate up with it much more than any other in the state. Clark Stepp( sure say what you want, but this is true) was a top 5 scorer in the state, and he didn't come close to winning the regional player of the year award, Zack Hurt did. What did he do? It's all politics, Bolus just ranks the players how he sees them. I understand the Stepp ranking, but some of his others are just plain stupid..

Hurt averaged over 20 a game led a Cordia team to a 20 win season and a regional tournament appearance when it probably wasn't picked to win over 13 -14 games in the pre-season. Stepp put up great numbers but was part of a JBS team that completly self-destructed over the course of the season and was eliminated in the 1st round of the district.

In regards to Clint, I think he is a much better player than locals give him credit for, but probably not as good as Bolus gives him credit for being. The answer lies somewhere in the middle. Clint is a very, very , very good shooter, but draws alot of attention from opposing teams, which is probably why his numbers aren't as good as people would like them to be.
Elisha Justice is definitley under-rated.
KnottCentralGuru Wrote:I would take Knipp over St. John any day, I would hope you would too. I have saw the two play a lot, and I will tell you Knipp is the better player. St John just looks so terrible, his post moves are just, wow. I will stop there.

St. John may not be as complete offensively as Knipp, but he is better in the post both offensively and defensively because of his size and strength, and he is a bigger prospect than Knipp because of this.

Quote:Polson, Stenzel, and Fant are three guys I could see ahead of him. Justice is a good player, but the kid shot 8-28 or something like that in one of the state tourney games. Knipp is a tall kid who is lanky, and can really get to the goal and he can shoot. Zollo and St John can't shoot to save their lives.

Shanklin is a better player than Knipp as well. Shanklin is receiving much more D1 interest than Knipp, depsite only being 6'0. You may want to do some research before you start downgrading other players. Justice had ONE bad game. He's still the same kid that torched EC for over 20 the first go around. Knipp can't get to the hole on his own. He lacks the ability to create his own shot, which is why he isn't a big prospect. I agree St. John isn't a jump shooter, but Zollo has a MUCH better inside/out game than Knipp. It's not even close.

Quote:Yes he is, and the two play two different spots. Johnson is a better scorer than Knipp, I wouldn't say better shooter though. Laugh if you want but that's my opinion. When did I ever compare Mack to Knipp?? When would I ever do that? Mack was the best high school player to come out of KY last year and to have a lot of success. Look at Hopson and Miller, in the high school season that year they were considered better players than Mack, look at how those two panned out compared to Mack. Not saying Miller and Hopson didn't have good years, but Mack had the best. Just because someone is expected to go to a higher D-1 school than another guy, doesn't mean jack diddle.

Actually both JJ and Knipp play the same position...forward. So that's incorrect that they don't play the same position. And Knipp a better shooter than JJ? JJ shot over 60% on the year and over 40% from beyond the arc...again, do some research before you start throwing out comments you know nothing about.

As far as the Mack comparison, I was simply using him as an example that you have to be very good to play mid-major+ basketball. As you stated, Mack was one of the best (not better than Miller or Hopson IMO...Hopson was a Burger Boy for a reason) players in the state last year, but still only went to a mid major program. If Knipp is no where near the level of Mack, what makes you think he can play at that level?

Quote:Sure, but by the time the summer before he heads off to college rolls around, you know Knipp will be in stronger shape then he is now. The kid is a sophomore, come on.

K, you know it all my friend. I'll stop right here. I hope Knipp goes to a mid major school, like a Morehead or EKU, and he completely doses, but even if he did that, even if he went to Kentucky and did that, you my friend, the king of kings on BGR, would still be right :Cheerlead

Actually Knipp is a hold back...he should be a junior. The comment about him only being a soph holds little credibility and shows just how far behind he is compared to players like Ricardo Johnson, Jeremiah Johnson, Pittman, Jackson, Guyn, Gibbs, etc.

I do work with one of the local rivals sites and it's my job these days to evaluate talent around the state...considering most of the scouts around here have said the same things that I've said about Knipp, I'd say my evaluation is pretty dead on...Knipp will play at a low D1, high D2, or NAIA such as Georgetown. There's been much better players come out of this state that didn't play at the D1 level.

Quote:I heard Cali already dropped Zollo. I don't know if that's true or not, but that would be the smartest move KY basketball could make right now. Look at the guys Cali is bringing in right now, does Zollo compare to them?? Also Purvis, I have never heard of the kid. He must be a blockbuster player to already have a D-1 offer like Morehead sitting on his table after not playing a ******* second a year ago. I did see his page on rivals.com, he has offers from Gonzaga and Davidson, they said he could be the next Adam Morrison/Steph Curry type players.

Of course Zollo doesn't compare to the guys Cali has already brought in...they're future NBA'ers and kids that are good enough to make an impact as a freshman...Zollo is only a soph though, with A LOT of room for improvement and upside.

As far as Purvis, he is another player that will pass Knipp up as well when people see him this year. There's a reason that Knipp wants to play with those GRC boys...they're pretty darn good. :eyeroll:
Has anyone heard what Jarrod Polson of West Jessamine is doing this summer?
Matt St. John is NOT at top 12 player in the state. He is not even the best in his own region. Possibly not even on his own team. Cody Miller, Madison Johnson and Isac Wilson are all more valuable players than him just in the 13th. You could even make an arguement that Matt Watkins may be the best player on his own team. Also why is Josh Whitaker not on this list. He is a stud!
the dark wizard Wrote:Matt St. John is NOT at top 12 player in the state. He is not even the best in his own region. Possibly not even on his own team. Cody Miller, Madison Johnson and Isac Wilson are all more valuable players than him just in the 13th. You could even make an arguement that Matt Watkins may be the best player on his own team. Also why is Josh Whitaker not on this list. He is a stud!

Josh Whitaker is by no means a STUD! He's an undersized point guard that will struggle at the next level. Matt St. John will have a chance to play at the next level simply because of his size and soft touch around the basket. Good luck to both though, but lets be realistic.
zulu Wrote:Josh Whitaker is by no means a STUD! He's an undersized point guard that will struggle at the next level. Matt St. John will have a chance to play at the next level simply because of his size and soft touch around the basket. Good luck to both though, but lets be realistic.

Theres nothing not realistic. St John can and pending his decision will play at the next level. But he is not a top 12 probly not even a top 50 player in the state. He is probly number 3-5 in his own region. As for Whitaker.. He is a STUD!
the dark wizard Wrote:Matt St. John is NOT at top 12 player in the state. He is not even the best in his own region. Possibly not even on his own team. Cody Miller, Madison Johnson and Isac Wilson are all more valuable players than him just in the 13th. You could even make an arguement that Matt Watkins may be the best player on his own team. Also why is Josh Whitaker not on this list. He is a stud!

If Cody Miller is one of the three best players in his region, that region must lack talent big time. He really struggles against kids his own size with athleticism.

He only had 5 points against Holmes' Ricardo Johnson when they met in the Defenders of the Station tournament and Holmes won by 24.
kywldcat01 Wrote:If Cody Miller is one of the three best players in his region, that region must lack talent big time. He really struggles against kids his own size with athleticism.

He only had 5 points against Holmes' Ricardo Johnson when they met in the Defenders of the Station tournament and Holmes won by 24.

He started every game in 8th grade, averaged 20 points per as a freshman, 13th poy as a soph, about 25 points per as a jr. One bad game makes him not one of the best????
the dark wizard Wrote:He started every game in 8th grade, averaged 20 points per as a freshman, 13th poy as a soph, about 25 points per as a jr. One bad game makes him not one of the best????

He may be good within his own region...I'm not saying he isn't.

As far as state wide talent goes, when you compare him to the elite guards such as Ricardo and Jeremiah Johnson, Ge'Lawn Guyn, Chad JAckson, Josh Sewell, Delquan Thomas, Thomas Jackson, Elisha Justice, etc....He just isn't on that level yet. My initial post was in response to someone who said he was one of the best guards in the state and that if he is one of the three best players in that region, then it must lack talent big time because IMO Miller isn't that good.

The 13th isn't exactly one of the better regions in the state either. Look at the top players from that region over the years and how they performed in the state tournament against good teams. Ty Profitt comes to mind.
kywldcat01 Wrote:He may be good within his own region...I'm not saying he isn't.

As far as state wide talent goes, when you compare him to the elite guards such as Ricardo and Jeremiah Johnson, Ge'Lawn Guyn, Chad JAckson, Josh Sewell, Delquan Thomas, Thomas Jackson, etc....He just isn't on that level yet. My initial post was in response to someone who said he was one of the best guards in the state and that if he is one of the three best players in that region, then it must lack talent big time because IMO Miller isn't that good.

The 13th isn't exactly one of the better regions in the state either. Look at the top players from that region over the years and how they performed in the state tournament against good teams. Ty Profitt comes to mind.

I do like how you say you don't down Justice and say that he's in the top 5 guards in the state, but then you mention the "Elite" guards, and you leave his name out. You really have something against the kid don't you, because you sure never fail to mentioned Ricardo Johnson's name.
TheCandyManIsBack Wrote:I do like how you say you don't down Justice and say that he's in the top 5 guards in the state, but then you mention the "Elite" guards, and you leave his name out. You really have something against the kid don't you, because you sure never fail to mentioned Ricardo Johnson's name.

Actually if you re read my post you'll see that I did include Justice...as soon as I re read my post I realized I left him off and edited it.

Dude get a life...seriously. Everyone knows Justice is good.
sacbunt Wrote:Here’s how Bolus rates the prospects (players are listed with the class they’ll be in next school year):

Top 12

1. Ricardo Johnson, Holmes (6-4 Sr.)
  2. Elijah Pittman, Holmes (6-7 Sr.)
  3. Chad Jackson, Scott County (6-4 Sr.)
  4. Ge-Lawn Guyn, Scott County (6-4 Sr.)
  5. George Fant, Warren Central (6-6 Jr.)
  6. Donovan Gibbs, Iroquois (6-7 Sr.)
  7. Dakotah Euton, Scott County (6-8 Sr.)
  8. Vinny Zollo, Clark County (6-8 Jr.)
  9. Aaron Cosby, Jeffersontown (6-2 Sr.)
  10. Josh Sewell, Trinity (6-4 Sr.)
  11. Matt St. John, South Laurel ((6-8 Sr.)
  12. Elisha Justice, Shelby Valley (5-11 Sr.)
Top sleeper

Jaylen Beckham, Lexington Catholic (6-0 So.)

Second 12

1. Aaron Watts, McCreary Central (6-2 Sr.)
  2. Thomas Jackson, Jeffersontown (5-11 Sr.)
  3. Robbie Stenzel, Clark County (6-4 Jr.)
  4. Josh Forrest, Paducah Tilghman (6-4 Jr.)
  5. Orlando Rutledge, Fern Creek (6-6 Jr.)
  6. Timmy Knipp, Elliott County (6-7 Jr.)
  7. Clint Stepp, June Buchanan (6-1 Sr.)
  8. Tate Cox, Knott Central (6-0 Sr.)
  9. Jomari Bradshaw, Waggener (6-4 Sr.)
  10. Jordan Shanklin, Warren Central (5-11 Jr.)
  11. Keisten Jones, Ballard (6-3 Sr.)
  12. Chris Richard, Southern (6-4 Sr.)

I thought the second 12 was interesting because Clint Stepp was rated higher than Tate Cox. Interesting to say the least.

this guy must be an idiot. clint maybe a good player, but he and Tate are on two totally different levels!!!!!!!!!!

I have lost some respect for Bolus. Maybe he was sick when he did 7 and 8 on the list?
worker1 Wrote:Hurt averaged over 20 a game led a Cordia team to a 20 win season and a regional tournament appearance when it probably wasn't picked to win over 13 -14 games in the pre-season. Stepp put up great numbers but was part of a JBS team that completly self-destructed over the course of the season and was eliminated in the 1st round of the district.

In regards to Clint, I think he is a much better player than locals give him credit for, but probably not as good as Bolus gives him credit for being. The answer lies somewhere in the middle. Clint is a very, very , very good shooter, but draws alot of attention from opposing teams, which is probably why his numbers aren't as good as people would like them to be.

this is a good post and is pretty accuate, but a thing that most people on here don't understand about stepp is that the rankings have a lot to do with aau, and in any national ranking this is usually about where stepp falls in the state of ky. because of the things he has accomplished in aau. you stand out when your playing top 20 players in the country and hitting 5 straight 30 footers, some of these people need to go watch clint play with elisha justice dishing him the ball and then say he shouldn't be on the list and ahead of some of the guys he is because he looks like a top 25 player in the state on the aau circuit
kywldcat01 Wrote:He may be good within his own region...I'm not saying he isn't.

As far as state wide talent goes, when you compare him to the elite guards such as Ricardo and Jeremiah Johnson, Ge'Lawn Guyn, Chad JAckson, Josh Sewell, Delquan Thomas, Thomas Jackson, Elisha Justice, etc....He just isn't on that level yet. My initial post was in response to someone who said he was one of the best guards in the state and that if he is one of the three best players in that region, then it must lack talent big time because IMO Miller isn't that good.

Im not making an arguement that he is an "elite" player in the state. What I am stateing is that St. John is not. If he is considered one the no way Cody isnt. He is head over hills better than St. John. As is others in the 13th. Do i think Cody is a top 10-15 in the state? No. As for St. John no. Anyone else in the 13th no. Its just that there are better players in the 13th that would be more worthy of a spot on the list than St. John.
the dark wizard Wrote:Im not making an arguement that he is an "elite" player in the state. What I am stateing is that St. John is not. If he is considered one the no way Cody isnt. He is head over hills better than St. John. As is others in the 13th. Do i think Cody is a top 10-15 in the state? No. As for St. John no. Anyone else in the 13th no. Its just that there are better players in the 13th that would be more worthy of a spot on the list than St. John.

You don't know nuttin Dark Wizard:eyeroll:
the dark wizard Wrote:Im not making an arguement that he is an "elite" player in the state. What I am stateing is that St. John is not. If he is considered one the no way Cody isnt. He is head over hills better than St. John. As is others in the 13th. Do i think Cody is a top 10-15 in the state? No. As for St. John no. Anyone else in the 13th no. Its just that there are better players in the 13th that would be more worthy of a spot on the list than St. John.

As much as people like to get down on St. John, the bottom line is he's the best college prospect in that region. Look how he did against Fant of Warren Central this past season. I'm pretty sure he had a double double and Fant is considered one of the top 5 players in the state.

St. John is better than you guys give him credit for.
zulu Wrote:You don't know nuttin Dark Wizard:eyeroll:

:****happe
well my bad i tried to use a face from the "more" and it didnt work. my apologies.