Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worst High School Gyms
For a school of their status as far as being a regional contender in most years, Hazard has a crummy gym. It was nice in it's day, but that day has passed. It's old/outdated. No parking. Poorly lighted. Poorly located (does that hill have a name??).

There's a lot of money in that town. They should try to build a nice modern gym. The banker Cooper, who recently passed away, probably left them enough money in his will to build one. He loved the Bulldogs enough to do something like that.
riverside is pretty awful
boogieman Wrote:You have to walk a country mile to get to the gym, and if you park by the gym your stuck until everyone leaves and if you have to walk along the road, its dangerous.

Hint: Park below in the school parking lot - lots of space there, and hike a short distance up the hill. By the way, what's wrong with walking? We all could use the exercise ...especially the fans in the stands!!
Riverside and Hazards Memorial Coliseum for sure.. parking is horrible and its just old and run down, but it still has alot of history and u gotta respect that
i don't think this gym is used anymore but if this thread was on here about 5 years ago then i would say the old elkorn gym. you couldn;t even shoot a three in the corner because it was out of bounds and the bench was on the court and the bleachers came all the way out to the side line to where you had to step on the line to throw the ball in.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:For a school of their status as far as being a regional contender in most years, Hazard has a crummy gym. It was nice in it's day, but that day has passed. It's old/outdated. No parking. Poorly lighted. Poorly located (does that hill have a name??).

There's a lot of money in that town. They should try to build a nice modern gym. The banker Cooper, who recently passed away, probably left them enough money in his will to build one. He loved the Bulldogs enough to do something like that.

Yes, the hill has a name. It's L.O. Davis Drive...named after Hazard businessman L.O. Davis who was instrumental in the building of Memorial Gym. Mr. Davis and several other people in Hazard and Perry Co. had a dream...they wanted to build a nice facility for the youth of the area to play ball in. At this time Hazard High School had their gym in the basement of the high school. It was known as the "crackerbox" because it was small and had very little seating. This dream that they had would seat many people and could be used for many other community functions. This was shortly after WWII and Mr. Davis had lost his only son in the war. He wanted the gym to be built in memory of all those Perry Countians who made the supreme sacrifice for their country. The location was chosen because it was close to Hazard High School. Groundbreaking ceremonies were held in 1949 and this dream became a reality when Memorial Gymnasium opened it's doors in 1951. Not only was this the best place in Eastern Kentucky to watch basketball but it was also host to many other events over the years...circuses, magic shows, puppet shows, beauty pageants, concerts, car shows...the list goes on and on. Now, almost 60 years later, Memorial Gymnasium is still host of some of the best basketball games in the mountains and is still a proud, historic monument to those young men who nobly fell while fighting for liberty. Actually the parking situation is the only thing wrong with Memorial Gym...it is still a good solid building with a nice lobby, nice concession area, some of the nicer restrooms that I have been in, one of the better looking floors that I have seen, and there is nothing wrong with the lighting and it has RAILS around the floor so you don't walk across the floor to get to the seats (something I hate in any gym). So while you may see it as a "crummy" old gym, the people of Hazard who knows what this building stands for sees it as a historic landmark which proudly keeps alive the memory of the 211 young men whose names are on brass plaques around the walls of the lobby for all to see every time they enter and to remember now, almost 70 years later, that these heroes did not die in vain. And I hope that 70 years from now they are still having basketball games in Historic Memorial Gymnasium and that people still pause to remember everything that this building stands for.
Blue-N-Gold Wrote:Yes, the hill has a name. It's L.O. Davis Drive...named after Hazard businessman L.O. Davis who was instrumental in the building of Memorial Gym. Mr. Davis and several other people in Hazard and Perry Co. had a dream...they wanted to build a nice facility for the youth of the area to play ball in. At this time Hazard High School had their gym in the basement of the high school. It was known as the "crackerbox" because it was small and had very little seating. This dream that they had would seat many people and could be used for many other community functions. This was shortly after WWII and Mr. Davis had lost his only son in the war. He wanted the gym to be built in memory of all those Perry Countians who made the supreme sacrifice for their country. The location was chosen because it was close to Hazard High School. Groundbreaking ceremonies were held in 1949 and this dream became a reality when Memorial Gymnasium opened it's doors in 1951. Not only was this the best place in Eastern Kentucky to watch basketball but it was also host to many other events over the years...circuses, magic shows, puppet shows, beauty pageants, concerts, car shows...the list goes on and on. Now, almost 60 years later, Memorial Gymnasium is still host of some of the best basketball games in the mountains and is still a proud, historic monument to those young men who nobly fell while fighting for liberty. Actually the parking situation is the only thing wrong with Memorial Gym...it is still a good solid building with a nice lobby, nice concession area, some of the nicer restrooms that I have been in, one of the better looking floors that I have seen, and there is nothing wrong with the lighting and it has RAILS around the floor so you don't walk across the floor to get to the seats (something I hate in any gym). So while you may see it as a "crummy" old gym, the people of Hazard who knows what this building stands for sees it as a historic landmark which proudly keeps alive the memory of the 211 young men whose names are on brass plaques around the walls of the lobby for all to see every time they enter and to remember now, almost 70 years later, that these heroes did not die in vain. And I hope that 70 years from now they are still having basketball games in Historic Memorial Gymnasium and that people still pause to remember everything that this building stands for.

Always, loved Memorial Gym!! Lots of great memories!! Besides parking, I know, it is terrible!! Good post blue n gold! :Thumbs:
Cordia, i was there several weks ago, some rennovations but sill one of the worst. Also, russell and fairviews gyms are pathetic.