Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kentucky 26 - Tennessee 20 (Border Bowl)
Ring'Em Up Wrote:I guess it had to do with that spread O. As much as people seem to like that offense, I dont think you can do justice with it at the high school level. QB/WR skills are not high enough to be a consistent offense at this level, in my opinion.
BTW, I somehow missed the score we got to open the 3rd quarter. Anyone remember what it was, to put us up 12-6? I guess it was a quick strike, cause I know the Vols had the ball with like 12 mins to go in the 3rd. Thanks.
I was also surprised that Deron Hicks was not one of the Ky MVPS. He was the player I was most impressed with, except for Dempsey on defense.

Highlands does very well with the spread O, and it is very fun to watch.
I know this is a touchy subject with Bell Countians, but feel it is worth noting:

Monte Merrick is not worth a major D-1 SCHOLARSHIP OFFER at this time and the State Finals and the Border Bowl has illustrated this point. With collegiate goal posts he has really struggled..missing chip shot field goals, XP's, and having his kicks blocked.

Now don't confuse what I am saying as "this kid is not a D-1 talent as a kicker"...that is not the case. He has a strong leg and has made clutch kicks in the past. But, what I honestly feel is that kickers do not merit a major D-1 offer unless they are the rare exceptional talent who can automatically change the face of the game as a true Freshman. Merrick simply is not consistent enough yet, and he has not illustrated the ability to mak clutch kicks against superior talent ENOUGH.

I have no doubt he will have s successful career at WKU and am very happy he received a scholarship... but he is not worth one of UK's final schollies they have open and really do not want to hear this argument anymore. Additionally, for those appalled that h did not make the LHL's "CLass of the Commonwealth", he was probably not one of the top 22 players in this Bowl Game..let alone the entire state.
Confusedhh: Yeah this won't set well with the Bell fans for sure.

In his defense, don't you think he had a couple of bad snaps in the bowl game? Is it the kickers fault when the kick gets blocked or is it the lines responsibility? Highland's QB would not have been as productive if it weren't for KY's O-line. He had all day to make plays. I thought Bowling and Lewis did well at QB in the time that they were in the game as well. Harbin did as good on defense as anybody also.
Also in his defense I'm sure kicking that ball was like kicking a brick. A team effort definitely won the game.

I'm pretty sure there were some kids that didn't even get to play though, which is ridiculous this game was to showcase these kids for potential scholarships. It's always nice to beat TN but I don't like doing it at the expense of possibly costing a kid a scholarship because winning or showcasing certain positions and players was more important that letting every kid play. The rotation should have been a little different. But I really enjoyed the game and this was just the second one so maybe they will handle this better in the future.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I know this is a touchy subject with Bell Countians, but feel it is worth noting:

Monte Merrick is not worth a major D-1 SCHOLARSHIP OFFER at this time and the State Finals and the Border Bowl has illustrated this point. With collegiate goal posts he has really struggled..missing chip shot field goals, XP's, and having his kicks blocked.

Now don't confuse what I am saying as "this kid is not a D-1 talent as a kicker"...that is not the case. He has a strong leg and has made clutch kicks in the past. But, what I honestly feel is that kickers do not merit a major D-1 offer unless they are the rare exceptional talent who can automatically change the face of the game as a true Freshman. Merrick simply is not consistent enough yet, and he has not illustrated the ability to mak clutch kicks against superior talent ENOUGH.

I have no doubt he will have s successful career at WKU and am very happy he received a scholarship... but he is not worth one of UK's final schollies they have open and really do not want to hear this argument anymore. Additionally, for those appalled that h did not make the LHL's "CLass of the Commonwealth", he was probably not one of the top 22 players in this Bowl Game..let alone the entire state.
FYI, have you ever kicked in weather conditions like the playoffs and Border Bowl brought? As for Saturday....Merrick never had a chance to be one of the "Top Players" in this event. Border Bowl coaches asked Merrick to come....but made NO preparation for him to have support. Not one player on the team had snapped this year!! The boy who was pressed to snap had not done so since he was a freshman!! Spencer Greer was Merrick's first holder in eighth grade until he broke his wrist...and never held again! Greer even caused one miss....when he forgot to run on to the field to hold. Merrick's misses were due to absolutely little or no practice on special teams due to the weather the two days before. One highly rated player from Lex Catholic left when he did not like the playtime, etc. To Merrick's credit he remained. Merrick had never had kicks blocked like Saturday. The line overwhelmed the KY line ...and even had only ten players in one one! Cannot blame the kicker for those misses. His kickoffs and punts gave KY good field position all day. Since no one probably had played on return teams this year...and they chose not to work on them very much due to the conditions......Merrick had some good kicks that had NO coverage! If you are judging him by the December and January games....well most college don't play as late as our ignorant KHSAA schedule makes us. If they do...then its in warm cities or domes by this time of year. As for not making clutch kicks against talent...ask Wayne Mills and the Boyle County folks in the two games before the final game if he can. His two FG's against Knox in regional final enabled the Bobcats to advance with a five point win. His fourth quarter kick against Boyle County gave the Bobcats the final point spread that forced their ultimate failed two-point conversion that secured the victory and the trip to Knoxville. Merrick has made clutch kicks for four years. When he has good snap and hold...and the line blocks....he only missed one PAT out of 216 by a bad kick! When his kick Saturday that he tried to salvage in spite of snap/hold...and ultimate block...was only the second time in his career that he hit the upright! Oh, by the way, KY told Merrick he would start for them next year and that he was better than seven other SEC kickers right now. They just cannot and will not give up the third scholly next year. They just wanted his folks to pay for it and walk on. Guess Ortmayer does not know talent then. Ortmayer felt like they should give the scholly cause everyone blames him for kicking game's problems...but Brooks would not give up the scholly.
Patriot Wrote:Also in his defense I'm sure kicking that ball was like kicking a brick. A team effort definitely won the game.

I'm pretty sure there were some kids that didn't even get to play though, which is ridiculous this game was to showcase these kids for potential scholarships. It's always nice to beat TN but I don't like doing it at the expense of possibly costing a kid a scholarship because winning or showcasing certain positions and players was more important that letting every kid play. The rotation should have been a little different. But I really enjoyed the game and this was just the second one so maybe they will handle this better in the future.

Another factor that would have eliminated the problem: Most high school all-star venues.....including the All-American bowls..Underarmour...and U.S. Army.... do not allow rush for the kicks for the very reason that Ky had problems with. Then it is easier to work with inexperienced holders and long snappers.
Mama Bear Wrote:Confusedhh: Yeah this won't set well with the Bell fans for sure.

In his defense, don't you think he had a couple of bad snaps in the bowl game? Is it the kickers fault when the kick gets blocked or is it the lines responsibility? Highland's QB would not have been as productive if it weren't for KY's O-line. He had all day to make plays. I thought Bowling and Lewis did well at QB in the time that they were in the game as well. Harbin did as good on defense as anybody also.

It is not always the line's fault... Lones Seiber has had 5 or 6 kicks blocked in his career due to the low trajectory of the ball after he kicks it. merrick suffers from a similar problem. It is the line's fault for giving up a blocked kick..but it is the kicker's fault for making the ball blockable in many instances.
Patriot Wrote:Also in his defense I'm sure kicking that ball was like kicking a brick. A team effort definitely won the game.

Brick or not...in cold weather games a kicker is one of the most critical players and you need them to come up huge. The games that matter most in a college season are going to come in November or later, so if a kicker struggles during that time it should be excuse. I think the kid is D-1 talent, but people lose sight of how rare it is for kicker's to actually receive scholarships to BCS schools. Kentucky had three scholarship kickers (Masthay, Seiber, and Tydlacka) last year... Florida and Alabama had ZERO. The only kickers who should ever receive a BCS scholly offer are the EXEPTIONAL talents.. I am sorry but a kid who goes 9/16 I believe during the regular season, and who struggles severely as soon as he plays with collegiate uprights is not an EXCEPTIONAL talent.

I would have LOOOOOOOOVVVVEEEDD having Merrick at UK for the next 4 years. But, when UK has much more pressing needs at DB, DE, RB, and Safety, but only 6 or 7 scholarships left. Then, offering Merrick does not make sense at all.
IRISH4 Wrote:I froze my tail off, but it was a fun game to watch. I was curious as to why Chase Richardson (JC) played a limited role in the game. From what I can remember, he was only in on two offensive plays the entire game and was a lead blocker and each play gained roughly 10 yards...the rest of the time he was on special teams. However, this kid rushed for over 2,000 yards, scored 20+ touchdowns, and made 130+ tackles....anything to get a W I understand, but I wonder if he was hurt?

Congratulations to the kids that made it and the coaching staff for representing the Bluegrass State well.

Richardson is a great kid and hard worker and as talented as anyone on the field. I do not understand this either. It seems that JC has one of the best programs in the state, but our kids do not get any recognition. In any all star game thier have to be some coaches that have favorites. I do not want to rain on the parade, great job in beating TN and it shows the quaility of Ky football!
[quote=BellCoBobcat]FYI, have you ever kicked in weather conditions like the playoffs and Border Bowl brought? As for Saturday....Merrick never had a chance to be one of the "Top Players" in this event. Border Bowl coaches asked Merrick to come....but made NO preparation for him to have support. Not one player on the team had snapped this year!! The boy who was pressed to snap had not done so since he was a freshman!! Spencer Greer was Merrick's first holder in eighth grade until he broke his wrist...and never held again! Greer even caused one miss....when he forgot to run on to the field to hold. Merrick's misses were due to absolutely little or no practice on special teams due to the weather the two days before. One highly rated player from Lex Catholic left when he did not like the playtime, etc. To Merrick's credit he remained. Merrick had never had kicks blocked like Saturday. The line overwhelmed the KY line ...and even had only ten players in one one! Cannot blame the kicker for those misses. His kickoffs and punts gave KY good field position all day. Since no one probably had played on return teams this year...and they chose not to work on them very much due to the conditions......Merrick had some good kicks that had NO coverage! If you are judging him by the December and January games....well most college don't play as late as our ignorant KHSAA schedule makes us. If they do...then its in warm cities or domes by this time of year. As for not making clutch kicks against talent...ask Wayne Mills and the Boyle County folks in the two games before the final game if he can. His two FG's against Knox in regional final enabled the Bobcats to advance with a five point win. His fourth quarter kick against Boyle County gave the Bobcats the final point spread that forced their ultimate failed two-point conversion that secured the victory and the trip to Knoxville. Merrick has made clutch kicks for four years. When he has good snap and hold...and the line blocks....he only missed one PAT out of 216 by a bad kick! When his kick Saturday that he tried to salvage in spite of snap/hold...and ultimate block...was only the second time in his career that he hit the upright! Oh, by the way, KY told Merrick he would start for them next year and that he was better than seven other SEC kickers right now. They just cannot and will not give up the third scholly next year. They just wanted his folks to pay for it and walk on. Guess Ortmayer does not know talent then. Ortmayer felt like they should give the scholly cause everyone blames him for kicking game's problems...but Brooks would not give up the scholly.[/QUOTE]

Point #1- You do realizewhy Papa Johns cannot host the State Finals next year is because UL is still playing that weekend and they can't promise it will be available? Have you watched a Big 10, Big 12, Big East, or ACC (Boston College and Maryland), or Pac-10 (Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Washington State) game in November?

Point #2- If you were the coach of a program wanting to have a kid with a stading full scholarship offer on the table join your team... but do so as a walk-on. Wouldn't you try to sweeten the deal by saying that he could start the next year? Don't confuse recruit-speak with the fact that if he really was a top priority a scholarsip would have been extended.

Kentucky has recruiting pipelines extended throughout the Southeast... Merrick was rated the #25 kicker in the Nation by Rivals. With both Seiber and Tydlacka on scholarship, I think the staff is fairly confident that they will ahve a god shot at landing one of the top 25 kickers next season after Seibe graduates and that scholarship freed up.
:lmao: @ EKU. Quiet frankly you have no idea what you are talking about. Did you not see the Kickoff's reach the endzone kicking from the 30???? You don't see that on Saturdays in the BCS conferences let alone in 20 deg. temps. :ChairHit:

The XP were troublesome until you look at the snaps and holds. The snaps were very erratic the best 1 was still poor and made the holder reach back to get it before getting it on the tee. The others were just bad and I will leave it at that. Plus he was working with a holder that has never held before. :eek:
Bobcat_Dad Wrote::lmao: @ EKU. Quiet frankly you have no idea what you are talking about. Did you not see the Kickoff's reach the endzone kicking from the 30???? You don't see that on Saturdays in the BCS conferences let alone in 20 deg. temps. :ChairHit:

The XP were troublesome until you look at the snaps and holds. The snaps were very erratic the best 1 was still poor and made the holder reach back to get it before getting it on the tee. The others were just bad and I will leave it at that. Plus he was working with a holder that has never held before. :eek:
I am not bashing the kid...just the unrealistic and biased Bell County fans. I just said how much I would have loved to see him at UK, but not at the expense of a schoalrship. Bell County fans think he is the 2nd coming of Lou Groza.

You see Kickoffs from the 30 reach the endzone in NAIA ball and D-3... let alone D-1A. What good does power have if you dont have accuracy? 9/16 this year with high school uprights illustrates this. Let aloen the fact that once he egts to major college football you are going to have 4 and 5 star athletes coming to block your kicks and not kids from EKY.

He led in votes because the state of Kentucky simply does not have another kicker comparable to him. Not because he was the best overall player in the state (The Class of the Commonwealth illustrated that).

I may not be a talent evaluater... but apparently I share the same viewpoint of the other major BCS schools who chose to pass on a scholarship offer.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:1. I am not bashing the kid

2. You see Kickoffs from the 30 reach the endzone in NAIA ball and D-3... let alone D-1A. What good does power have if you dont have accuracy?

3. 9/16 this year with high school uprights illustrates this.

4. I may not be a talent evaluater...

1. What would you call it then?

2. You must watch different games than I do b/c I rarely see them reach the endzone in D-1 since the new rule changes, let alone any other level, and yes I played, coached, and recruited in college football so I have some insight.

3. 9/16 with most coming over 50+ yards some 60+. Very few were from less than 30.

4. That is an understatement of the year. Rolleyes

BTW he did recently get 2 offers one from the Big 12 and another from a SEC school for a full scholarship. He is choosing to honor his commitment to WKU.
A few points I would like to make as I was privledged enough to watch alot of the practices during the week. Zach Lewis was very instrumental in Ky's victory. He led the the td drive that turned out being the winning margin in the game. Zach running over a Tenn db in the first quarter was certainly a highlight. Threw the ball very well all week and was named one of the captains. His stock grew immensley during the week proving to everyone that he was special.
Nobody can doubt Merrick. The timing was off with long snappers and holders and the field was very slick. He is a D-1 talent and he proved it during the week. He consistancy and accuracy proved that Ky and Louisville both missed the boat. WKU may be the best fit IMO. Anybody that doubts him as a kicker is dead wrong.

One other kid that stood out was Adams from Middlesboro. He is something on offense and defense. Probably the most complete player down there this week.
Terrific!!

Alot of the other mountain players had good weeks themselves. Some of them were asked to play different positions than they were accustomed to. During the first 11 vs 11 scrimmage held, most of the mountains were on the same team and dominated that game. The mountain kids proved that they could play with states top players.
Bobcat_Dad Wrote:1. What would you call it then?

2. You must watch different games than I do b/c I rarely see them reach the endzone in D-1 since the new rule changes, let alone any other level, and yes I played, coached, and recruited in college football so I have some insight.

3. 9/16 with most coming over 50+ yards some 60+. Very few were from less than 30.

BTW he did recently get 2 offers one from the Big 12 and another from a SEC school for a full scholarship. He is choosing to honor his commitment to WKU.

1. Giving an honest assessment... since when did calling a kid a great kicker, but not an exceptional talent become bashing? Take off your blue colored glasses.

2. We obviously are watching different games..because reaching the goalline is still no special feat on the collegiate level. Kicking a bal through the boundary of the endzone or beyond 45 yards deep is another story, but kicking to the goalline is commonplace.

3. 9/16 is still 9/16... let alone the fact that he had had two games with collegiate goalposts in which he had less than stellar efforts. I'll be the first to eat my words...but my argueent stands that UK has amde the correct deicison to not extend an offer based on their current scholarship situation, and that it is not a "travesty" as Bell County fans amde it out to be that he was not included as one of the State's best 22 players. Statistically speaking if you can make an arguement otherwise then have at it.

4. Same can be said for the fact you mentioned you were affiliated with recruiting at the collegiate level and obviously are not now Rolleyes
Lets just leave it at this:

If Merrick immediately steps in and starts at WKU and can be attributed to being a major reason for them winning an additional game or two... and if Kentucky can single handidly attribute one or two losses to their kicking game this next season (which certainly has happened in the past) then I will proudly post a thread proclaiming I was wrong and UK should have foregone getting another skill player in favor of Merrick.

I wish him the utmost of luck at the next level. It is always a positive when a mountian kid plays at the next level.
Bobcat_Dad Wrote:1. What would you call it then?

Having played, coached and recruited at such a high level, I guess that makes your opinion far more superior than anyone else's. Great Job pal. I'm sure Log Mountain is building a statue of the almighty Bobcat Dad. Let's all give this guy a round of applause. *clap, clap*
Mr. Sandwich Wrote:Having played, coached and recruited at such a high level, I guess that makes your opinion far more superior than anyone else's. Great Job pal. I'm sure Log Mountain is building a statue of the almighty Bobcat Dad. Let's all give this guy a round of applause. *clap, clap*

:lmao: Never said it was at a high level there ham n cheese. I don't think I was stating much of an opinion? Just facts. Were did you see an opinion??? EKU is the one stating opinion.

EKU you do realize they kick from the 30 now right??? How many did you see kicked into the endzone this year? Mastey from UK did it more than anyone. Not many others came close. From now on use some evidence to support your arguments instead of just stating opinions and bashing young men that have earned rights to be highly regarded.

Numbers such as 9/16 are good but you must also look at the big picture which you do not. I would suppose b/c of Ben Rothlesbergers horrible QB rating you would say he is overrated as well.

Finished with this. Good luck to you. :howdy:

Back to the game it was great to see the Mtn. kids do well and represent us all well. They set the tone of the game. I think Bowling and Lewis were both impressive @ QB and outplayed the other kid up until the next to last drive. Then he made a few good plays with his feet and a nice throw to set up the TD and earned the MVP.
Anybody know if the boys from Hazard saw any pt? Havnt had a chance to talk to any of em yet...
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Brick or not...in cold weather games a kicker is one of the most critical players and you need them to come up huge. The games that matter most in a college season are going to come in November or later, so if a kicker struggles during that time it should be excuse. I think the kid is D-1 talent, but people lose sight of how rare it is for kicker's to actually receive scholarships to BCS schools. Kentucky had three scholarship kickers (Masthay, Seiber, and Tydlacka) last year... Florida and Alabama had ZERO. The only kickers who should ever receive a BCS scholly offer are the EXEPTIONAL talents.. I am sorry but a kid who goes 9/16 I believe during the regular season, and who struggles severely as soon as he plays with collegiate uprights is not an EXCEPTIONAL talent.

I would have LOOOOOOOOVVVVEEEDD having Merrick at UK for the next 4 years. But, when UK has much more pressing needs at DB, DE, RB, and Safety, but only 6 or 7 scholarships left. Then, offering Merrick does not make sense at all.

Just a thought, if you would have loved having Monte at UK for next 4 yrs. Then why get on here and say, "HE IS NOT WORTH A D-1 scholly. Sounds like to me that you are pretty jealous and need to learn how to support our young athletes from the mts. with your negative attitude, PERIOD!!!!!!!!!! And the next time we people from Bell Co. are gonna kick a FG we will seek your expert talent judging advise. If our kicker is worthy of the try or not. Keep your comments and thoughts to yourself when they are downgrading a young man that has worked very hard to be where he is.

Here is your prize for being an expert talent evaluator:1: :1:
Trenches07 Wrote:Just a thought, if you would have loved having Monte at UK for next 4 yrs. Then why get on here and say, "HE IS NOT WORTH A D-1 scholly. Sounds like to me that you are pretty jealous and need to learn how to support our young athletes from the mts. with your negative attitude, PERIOD!!!!!!!!!! And the next time we people from Bell Co. are gonna kick a FG we will seek your expert talent judging advise. If our kicker is worthy of the try or not. Keep your comments and thoughts to yourself when they are downgrading a young man that has worked very hard to be where he is.

Here is your prize for being an expert talent evaluator:1: :1:

Please try reading again. I would love to have him at UK... but as a walk-on. Never said he wasn't worth a D-1 scholarship...said that Major college football programs and BCS schools don't make standard pracvtice of offering special teams players scholarships. UK has a very limited # of schollies and already have two returnign scholarship kickers... they have much greater needs than a kicker right now.

I HAVE NOT DOWNGRADED THE YOUNG MAN! I have acknowledged he is a very good player, and even said I would love to see him at UK. The arguement is not whether he deserves to play college ball... it is about whether he is exceptional enough for UK to make a very risky move and offer a scholarship with so many needs left to be addressed. Forgive me for having an objective viewpoint and not praising him as the greatest kicker to ever walk the planet
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Now don't confuse what I am saying as "this kid is not a D-1 talent as a kicker"...that is not the case. He has a strong leg and has made clutch kicks in the past.

I have no doubt he will have s successful career at WKU and am very happy he received a scholarship... .

EKUAlum05 Wrote:I think the kid is D-1 talent, but people lose sight of how rare it is for kicker's to actually receive scholarships to BCS schools.

I would have LOOOOOOOOVVVVEEEDD having Merrick at UK for the next 4 years.

EKUAlum05 Wrote:I am not bashing the kid...just the unrealistic and biased Bell County fans. I just said how much I would have loved to see him at UK, but not at the expense of a schoalrship. Bell County fans think he is the 2nd coming of Lou Groza.

EKUAlum05 Wrote:1. Giving an honest assessment... since when did calling a kid a great kicker, but not an exceptional talent become bashing? Take off your blue colored glasses.

[quote=EKUAlum05]

I wish him the utmost of luck at the next level. It is always a positive when a mountian kid plays at the next level.[/QUOTE]

The Bell county faithful want to believe I am just bashing this kid... I have made a constructive criticism and explained why I do not feel he merited a scholarship from UK or a BCS school.

Trenches as you can see I have never said he wasn't worthy of a D-1 scholarship, and not "having pride for a mountain boy" is out of the question as well.

Just because someone doesn't believe the same thing you do does not mean they are bashing you or someone else.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I know this is a touchy subject with Bell Countians, but feel it is worth noting:

[B]Monte Merrick is not worth a major D-1 SCHOLARSHIP OFFER at this time and the State Finals and the Border Bowl has illustrated this point. With collegiate goal posts he has really struggled..missing chip shot field goals, XP's, and having his kicks blocked.[/B]Now don't confuse what I am saying as "this kid is not a D-1 talent as a kicker"...that is not the case. He has a strong leg and has made clutch kicks in the past. But, what I honestly feel is that kickers do not merit a major D-1 offer unless they are the rare exceptional talent who can automatically change the face of the game as a true Freshman. Merrick simply is not consistent enough yet, and he has not illustrated the ability to mak clutch kicks against superior talent ENOUGH.

That reads to me, "he is not worth a D-1 Scholarship". You are the one that used all caps on that particular phase.
Trenches07 Wrote:That reads to me, "he is not worth a D-1 Scholarship". You are the one that used all caps on that particular phase.

EKUAlum05 Wrote:Monte Merrick is not worth a major D-1 SCHOLARSHIP OFFER at this time and the State Finals and the Border Bowl has illustrated this point. With collegiate goal posts he has really struggled..missing chip shot field goals, XP's, and having his kicks blocked.

Now don't confuse what I am saying as "this kid is not a D-1 talent as a kicker"...that is not the case. .

What word is before D-1!??!?!?!? Christ sake... is this an epidemic in Bell County to selectively read things?

MAJOR D-1!!!!!!!!

MAJOR
Once again... say it with me and try reading one more time... . If you want to try to call me out on what I said..it would be much better to try using a phrase that does not specifically illustrate the point I am trying to get across. I specifically capitalized that to illustrate the main point I cannot seem to get beyond the Bell Countian's blue tinted glasses.

One last time... I think Merrick is more than worthy of playing D-1...but based on typical recruiting patterns of BCS schools or MAJOR D-1 schools... specialty players rarely receive scholarship offers unless they are an exceptional talent.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:What word is before D-1!??!?!?!? Christ sake... is this an epidemic in Bell County to selectively read things?

MAJOR D-1!!!!!!!!

MAJOR
Once again... say it with me and try reading one more time... . If you want to try to call me out on what I said..it would be much better to try using a phrase that does not specifically illustrate the point I am trying to get across. I specifically capitalized that to illustrate the main point I cannot seem to get beyond the Bell Countian's blue tinted glasses.

One last time... I think Merrick is more than worthy of playing D-1...but based on typical recruiting patterns of BCS schools or MAJOR D-1 schools... specialty players rarely receive scholarship offers unless they are an exceptional talent.

I would agree with you. I think some have overreacted to your posts. You talk about the Bell Countians having blue-tinted glasses......something they use for KY as well! LOL! How many times did you get to see the Merrick kid kick live? Hard to evaluate the kicks on film only. Most D-1 major schools want to see kickers in person in order to evaluate fully. That's why Merrick's Dad told me that he went to the schools he worked out for this summer. Each of those schools said that he was one of the top three kickers that they had looked at film....(note: he said that one told them they got over three-thousand videos on players sent in!!) and wanted to see him in person. He went to West Virginia; Vanderbilt; Tennessee; Mizzou; Ole Miss; Louisville; Kentucky; and Penn State. Penn State was looking at Merrick and then the #2 kicker decommitted from Michigan and took Penn State. Merrick was then asked to come to Michigan in October. Due to injury in Friday night game...they did not make the trip that weekend. Michigan signed the other kicker they had seen. Merrick was extremely accurate at all schools kicking off the ground at each. He was 15-15 at Louisville; 15-18 at WV; broke a Mizzou record for getting his kicks up fast. This is a terrible year for MAJOR schools for kickers....no SEC school had offered anyone. Only Ole Miss....who had called Merrick and told him that they were not going to offer...and he was their top guy.....changed their mind when Nutt could not let the #1 kicker from Mississippi go to Petrino in Arkansas. He decommitted from Arkansas...and Arkansas came after Merrick before Christmas. Kicking coach flew into Pineville last week and told Merrick he had made his decision....to take Merrick...over the other two kickers they were looking at. This week John L. Smith was hired by Patrino to take over the special teams. That delayed everything. His Dad told me earlier today that he had consulted with Coach Elson....and called Arkansas and declined the official visit that they were bringing him in for next weekend. Since changes....decision for the final offer would not be until after signing date....and he did not want to dishonor his commitment to WKU. He is committed to staying in Kentucky!! These schools did not offer....because they did not offer anyone this year....no schollys available. He had preferred walk-on situations at numerous D-1 schools. There is no question that he is one of the elite kickers in the country, according to the guys who rate kickers. Bell Countians have had four varsity starting years to witness this kid. Our glasses are just fine. How about yours?
BellCoBobcat Wrote:......

Thank you for a very informative post. My glasses are tinted "UK Blue". The entir epurpose of my arguement was in response to all the Bell County faithful who were upset, borderline appauled, that Merrick was never offered by UK. Your post illustrates beautifully what I have been trying to say about kicker's and specialty players receiving scholarships.

At a high level of play it is simply not customary to offer a kid a scholarship as a kicker unless he is one of those rare players (think Sebastian Janikowski at Florida State) who has the ability to completely change your program. I have no doubt Merrick would be welcomed at any SEC school or any other BCS school, but the bottom line is even with so many schools rating him so high the offers still did not reciprocate.

The past year's UK special teams unit has confused alot of Bobcat supporters (who double as loyal UK supoorters and wnt nothing more than UK to have one of their own) because Kentucky had three kickers on scholarship. This was bizarre, and probably not the best decision by the staff, as if you look at other SEC rosters you will find at most 1 kicker, if any at all.

Anyone who follows UK recruiting closely has heard over and over "UK should offer Merrick", "UK made a mistake by not offering Merrick", "UK lost out to WKU by not offering Merrick". To Bell County fans the notion that UK made the BEST MOVE for their program (in terms of getting on the level of other SEC powers) by not offering a kicker is unfathonable.
Additionally,

Kickers are a major variable. Merrick could very well have started at UK for Four years... but additionally, he could have ended up never even seeing the field. The mental aspect of a kicker's game can turn even the very best kicker into a nervous mess. Lonas Seiber apparently is an All-American during practice, he also had an awesome high school career, but we have all senen how that translates into a game situation when his confidence starts waivering.
Great job Kentucky.
I would loved to have watched this one.